hanlon-surf

Report from the OBX

108 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2018 at 6:17 AM, hanlon-surf said:

Mornin’

EC82CA58-A479-4494-A9F9-9AD0F1250CD0.jpeg

Great pic....I need to be on a beach chair in between those two rods

thanks my friend, and yes, i spent a lot of time looking at those rod tips.

you might notice how flat the ocean is. thats how it was the majority of the time making it very hard to get a read on the bottom. the swells that you see near the outer bar were only that, swells, no breaks to use as markers.

i wont be back till early May of 19'. but i am already looking forward to it. 

one other point of note, this was my first trip out with my 11' Carnage II and 25n, and did quite well. so well that halfway through the trip i took off two of the breaks to get a little more distance. the thumb got a little hot, but all week i only had one backlash and it was easily picked out. next up for that rig is more practice and taking off all but two breaks getting ready to spool with braid for 2019.

tight lines to all who are headed down this year!

17 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

ill be honest here, I haven't been out to the point in some time, but have always made it a point to obey posted signage and regulations and not "push" the limits with creative interpretations. yea its inconvenient, but in reality theres miles and miles of beaches, and ill fish what I can.

I look forward to trying my luck with that flounder rig too.  Great thread all together, thanks for taking time out of your vacation to report.

I too always obey the posted signs.  Someone else mentioned either here or one of the local bait shop forums at the time, that it was legal to walk the wet sand.  So, I asked the patrolman  to verify before crossing the line.  He probably figured that I was a tourist know it all, and just gave me bad information.

18 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

not "push" the limits with creative interpretations. yea its inconvenient, but in reality theres miles and miles of beaches, and ill fish what I can.

Nothing creative about it.  Like most stuff, there's the official rules and how things really have been working.  One thing for sure, to be out there in the summer when there is no one else around is amazing.

hey hanlon, congrats on mastering the conventional reels in a short time. 

6 mins ago, mark d said:

hey hanlon, congrats on mastering the conventional reels in a short time. 

Thanks!!!  i dont think that i would call myself a master, but i would say that i am 100% confident with it, and that is a far cry from my first few outings at the local soccer field. hopefully by spring i will be putting rigs over the second bar.

Posted (edited)

Good times. You will get the distance before you know it. We practice alot here too

Edited by Dsc

For the last 4-5 years my brother and I have been using 12' Penn Prevail heavy for our heavers. They work great. I wanted a second 12' so I got a Carnage II heavy. Casts great and I even had 2 ,5oz Sputniks and a chunk when a load of grass came in , I couldn't hold bottom with one , handled it great on a hard Hatteras cast, at least as much as I can muster these days. I know it's not in the park as a high end rod but for a guy that gets to the island 2-3 weeks a year it's a great alternative.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:23 PM, Porktown said:

It sounds like the Point is finally opened (walk in only).  Of course, the reports of Spanish and blues are coming in with it.  I can see not allowing ORVs up to a certain point, but there should always be some sort of pedestrian access.  Even if it is below the high tide mark only.  Is allowing pedestrian access seriously doing anything to the population of those birds?  The NPS is out of control at times.

The NPS is not out of control. It is the result of the Audobon and Defenders of Wildlife litigation. There is a consent decree in effect. The NPS actually did us all a favor and agreed to some questionable terms because Judge Boyle was going to shut the entire place down. There would have been a civil war, and it was pretty close to happening if anyone was down there while the beaches were closed. Practically put everyone out of business.

so while the NPS bears the brunt of the criticism, blame Audobon and the other environmental groups that sued the NPS to shut it down and turn Hatteras into one big bird nest.

5 mins ago, Retainer said:

The NPS is not out of control. It is the result of the Audobon and Defenders of Wildlife litigation. There is a consent decree in effect. The NPS actually did us all a favor and agreed to some questionable terms because Judge Boyle was going to shut the entire place down. There would have been a civil war, and it was pretty close to happening if anyone was down there while the beaches were closed. Practically put everyone out of business.

so while the NPS bears the brunt of the criticism, blame Audobon and the other environmental groups that sued the NPS to shut it down and turn Hatteras into one big bird nest.

This^

Not sure how many of the current regular posters were around here when all of this played out, but I watched it all happen right here in the pages of this forum all those years ago.

And the effects of it are still lingering to this day. It is so sad to see the vast emptiness of the south point of Bodie Island as you come over the Bonner Bridge. Today, no man can even step foot on that beach whereas years ago on a June afternoon there would be various trucks and people fishing, swimming, crabbing and ENJOYING the area.

And that is all gone because of a couple of stupid birds, likely never to come back :(, because of the antics of these various wildlife groups that held a judge in their pocket by pulling on the heartstrings of grandmas in Toledo and Akron and wherever else to line their own pockets with donations to "save the poor little birdies...." :mad:

Thanks for the clarification.  I was aware that it all started by the environmental groups.  I didn’t realize the NPS fought hard to keep areas open.  I thought they pretty much gave into the pressure.  I read posts back then and really didn’t know what was fact and what were guys blowing off steam.  Usually get more fact based after the dust settles.  Thanks for the explanation.  

There should be a huge sign when you come over bonner bridge onto Hatteras Island, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, beach closures brought to you by the Audobon Society, and Defenders of Wildlife. It should never be forgotten who caused the mess down there, and  the blame should never end. The NPS was to blame for not having a management plan in place as required by congress, which opened them up to the mess that was to come.

4 hours ago, Ksjohnson said:

There should be a huge sign when you come over bonner bridge onto Hatteras Island, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, beach closures brought to you by the Audobon Society, and Defenders of Wildlife. It should never be forgotten who caused the mess down there, and  the blame should never end. The NPS was to blame for not having a management plan in place as required by congress, which opened them up to the mess that was to come.

That’s exactly right, Audobon picked the fight because no long term measures were on the books, then forum shopped. If NPS didn’t make some concessions, the place would be empty now.

But Audobon and DOW look for things like this to take advantage of a situation that is NOT a problem, then blow it out of proportion to make it look like there is a problem.