hanlon-surf

Report from the OBX

108 posts in this topic

Sadly I didn’t make it out this morning but I won’t complain. Fishing every day but one (and for hours at a time) during a family vacation isn’t bad at all

looking to be back here at least twice in 19’ even have the propertys booked. 

Thanks for tge tips all. Got my eyes on the flat ones next year

19 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

sssssooooo, all of this is good info and info I could have used before I set out today. 

I spent almost 5 hours out there and only landed a pair of whiting. I did have one massive hit though. I was bouncing a 1.5oz buck tail tipped with a gulp off the bottom when boom, snagged... nope, a second later drag starts peeling off and I’m on. I would say about 15 yards was taken in all. It was headed north so I started walking with it. Took a little more drag then nothing, spit the jig. 

No doubt it was a flounder, and as only one tail the other day was cut and the rest were chewed/mangled I have no doubt that they were flounder as well

on the bright side, I have a new technique to add to my arsenal as the gulp tipped jig/teaser and buck tail/gulp were hit. Now to get one on the beach...

one more day to go...

:th:

16 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

Thanks!  It’s been a great trip all the way round. The weather has been killer and I couldn’t ask for more time on the water. As my girls get older and older it gets easier to get away. 

Got two rods loaded for tomorrow morning. Leaving the soaking set-ups at home so I will be 100% focused on slinging metal and bouncing jigs for the flat ones

Yup. I left all my bait rods at home after the first few days.  Nice just having my tackle bag and the rod with me.

4 hours ago, Porktown said:

Drumfish - 

Did you take your yak?  Sucks to hear of the slow report.

I have not yet. It is a yak from the rental house and is only 10 feet and with the winds the past few days I was not super confident taking it out. 

5 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

There's been lots of Sheepshead around Jennette's |Pier... We are having some NW winds today and water temp is back up to the mid 70s today. Its just a slow time of year....

By all means checkout the "Little Bridge"...The best time is early in the morning before the sun comes up. There has been some big drum caught this week in the evenings by a few select local Drum Pros.

Saw a huge bait ball at the pier but no one was catching anything. Looked like bluefish under it but could be something I am not familiar with.

Yes its menhaden ... water is super clear and a nice rip has come through today..water temp increased....most likely bluefish cutting them. Some of the guys on the end are snagging them for bait on their pin rigs. 

12 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

I am having similar luck in Kill Devil Hills area. A few bit offs of gulp tails on the sound side. I assumed snapper blues but maybe not. The strikes were a few quick bites in succession and then nothing. Almost like something grabbed the tail and bit it a few times before it ripped. I did catch a few crabs on the gulp but the strikes did not feel like crabs. They also did not feel like flounder strikes. 

I tried the ocean side with no success. Saw a few small baitfish in the wash and had one flounder chase the gulp rig right up to my feet but didn't take it.

I am going to check out one of the piers with the family today and see if I want to fish it at another time. I also found a bridge area that a lot of people seem to be fishing so I am going to check that out as well.

At this point I may resort to crabbing just so I can catch something. I have fished every day both morning and night since last Sunday with only a few hits to show for it. Odds are if I am crabbing I am going to bring a rod and fish anyway. 

Pin Fish!  Berkley pays them a large yearly salary to destroy their Gulp baits as soon as they hit the water...to ensure you as a fisherman run back to the store to buy more. 

It sounds like the Point is finally opened (walk in only).  Of course, the reports of Spanish and blues are coming in with it.  I can see not allowing ORVs up to a certain point, but there should always be some sort of pedestrian access.  Even if it is below the high tide mark only.  Is allowing pedestrian access seriously doing anything to the population of those birds?  The NPS is out of control at times.

There is always pedestrian access as long as you walk on "wet sand", which is sand below the reach of the current waves.

I asked the NPS while fishing ramp 44, when the Point was closed (2 years ago).  I asked if I could walk in the wet sand, between the breakers and the end of the returning wave.  He said, only way would to be in the water at all times, basically in the first trough or I guess wait for waves to crash and make sure to stay in water...  He told me, if they see someone out there, they are going to get fined.  Now, that could just be that one jerk.  I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.  I had too much gear with me, and would eventually need to put something down on dry sand.

A few people including myself have walked to the point on "wet sand" over the last two months, but go at your own risk when it is closed.

Posted (edited)

39 mins ago, NH Paul said:

A few people including myself have walked to the point on "wet sand" over the last two months, but go at your own risk when it is closed.

Paul , Cant tell these folks anything.  Many of them seem to know it all. I've never had a problem with the park service and most all the ones I've met are good guys and gals just doing their job. You and I both know how far we can push the envelope. I have to admit this newer superintendent is much better than the last one.....I hope Drumfish213 has had some success..... Hanlon has been MIA...

4 more weeks until we start seeing a Drum Bite in Nags Head!!! Yipeee!

Edited by DaBig2na

hey all, I'm back. took a few days off after the trip to get my thoughts together and hang with the family and "de-sand" everything.

all in all I would call the trip a success; even though I didn't catch anything huge. why you ask, its been quite some time since I have learned an entirely new technique, and on this trip, specifically targeting flounder with the jig head & gulp w/ a gulp teaser or bucktail with an un-weighted bucktail teaser was new to me, and best of all the strikes and one solid hook-up lead me to believe that it works. gotta love that.

ill be honest here, I haven't been out to the point in some time, but have always made it a point to obey posted signage and regulations and not "push" the limits with creative interpretations. yea its inconvenient, but in reality theres miles and miles of beaches, and ill fish what I can.

Nice going Hanlon, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'll be heading down there again once the weather starts cooling. And although I always fish the Point, as you said there are miles of other places that hold good fish. The wifes's citation fishes last year was from an area not the Point..Sounds like you had a blast though!  Gonna be heading to AI in a couple days just to have a line out....not much being caught but getting the itch again.:)