hanlon-surf

Report from the OBX

108 posts in this topic

Got here last night and headed out this morning. The surf was quite calm and saw a bunch of Spanish jumping in the distance, 200 or so yards out. I set up a light and medium bottom rig, one with a 1/0 circle and the other with a 7/0. The light one tipped with shrimp and the other with a nice mullet chunk. There were a few people from Maine fishing just south of me and others well north. Nice to see others out

Lots if nibbles on that along with the Spanish signaled that life was around, but it was likely the small kind. 

I switched her up to a smaller rig and hooked some of the smallest whiting you have ever seen. 

I also threw some metal with no luck. If there is sone good news (and there always is) it’s that I didn’t backlash my new Fathom 25n once. I didn’t set any distance records but I was able to fish it the whim time. Not sure what the rest of the day will hold but this was a good start

Spent the last 2 hours fishing one of my favorite spots in the sound. Nothing worth taking about other than the 3 gillion mosquitoes! Even with the high DEET spray it was miserable. Lots of hits but by the end it was impossible to focus on fishing. Planning on getting back out front early tomorrow morning 

Grab your longboard and get some of that sandbar break! 

Keep us posted. I going done for 10 days early October.

That is an awesome photo.  I'd suggest some of that skeeter spray they sell at the bait shops.  Seemed to work better than the national brand stuff for me, one year we had a skeeter problem.  I don't remember what it was called, but seemed to be a locally made product.  They might have a mosquito nets for your head too?  

2 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

Good morning 

FF67628E-E9C7-463A-AF90-4F670D2A82CA.jpeg

Just got back yesterday.  Ditch the bait rods in the surf.   Get your light tackle rod, rig it up with a 1 oz jig with a 4" gulp mullet and an unweighted teaser with a 3" mullet about a foot higher.   Cast out 30 yards and SLOWLY bring it in.  I caught flounder every morning.  And a real nice one on Saturday.

Thanks ‘B’ I will definitely work that. The lightest rod u have is an 8’ 1/2-2, but that should work

spent 4 hours out there today. Same conditions as yesterday. Got me one 10-12” bluefish and missed another very solid hit. Not great, but I checked my math and 1 is more than 0 so I’ll take that. 

Not sure what’s on tap for the rest of the day, but I should manage one more session somewhere 

Posted (edited)

On 8/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, hanlon-surf said:

7B116EA1-6659-41B9-92F6-FE97198EE17A.jpeg

7F03C1D1-41FE-42F2-8BE5-1B25E5BD166C.jpeg

The first picture......did the waves on the outer bar waves not break yet to the left when you snapped the picture, or do they just sort of die out there?

If the latter, I suggest you move your spot about 30 yards to your north. ;)

Nice pictures and report, hope you get um. :)

Edited by Steve in Mass

Hopefully mid week wind shift, should keep the flying biters away, but the swimming biters on the prowl!  Looks like favorable winds now, for an evening appearance of those Spanish again.  

Okay, looking at the second picture, if I am seeing what I think I am seeing, if the littoral current is north to south, I wanna be near the left arrow. If it is south to north, well then the right arrow. And another rod right smack in the middle of that box:

5b68a7b96cacd_WavesHI.jpg.2050af2b704d93a35e0f29d55b70b7ed.jpg

Steve, could you explain your reasoning a bit more?  What in these pictures is tipping you off?

Posted (edited)

Steve,

to your first post, the wave broke equally across the entire section of beach. I moved up and down by 60 yards or so today with no real improvement

to your second, that “slack spot” you drew the box around wasn’t real consistent (read wasn’t a big “fish holder”. I’m going to trek down the beach to a different area tomorrow 

Edited by hanlon-surf