Popasilov

Overprized mechanic work

Rate this topic

417 posts in this topic

Had a friend run into a similar situation with a contractor and some house repairs where the police wouldn't help. So this guy rented a piece of property from the neighbor next door and put an 8ft x 4ft billboard with all factual information (to avoid being sued for libel or slander) stating the story and alerting the neighbors. The guy called him the next day and settled the job. Think of the movie 3 billboards -- never heard of anything work so quickly.

In your case, see if a neighbor will let you put up a billboard for a week (just 4ft x8ft plywood) for a few hundred bucks and say

"The owner of this shop (put his full name) is holding my boat ransom until I pay him $2500 worth of work he did without my authorization. The police refused to help me. Stay away from this shop or you could be next."

Pay him with a check as you pick up the boat, then stop payment

Let him small claims court you

Edited by Sudsy

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, Popasilov said:

Update #2

Later on this afternoon, called a guy who lives here all his life and know people around.

Went to see him and he called another boat mechanic, good friend of his, to ask about my mechanic.

They were talking on the speaker, while I was quite and listening.

Well, apparently I am not a first one that this scum was pooled on.

He got a reputation of overcharging clients, doing work that was not needed and adding extra labor and parts to job.

After a few minutes listening I got involved in conservation too.

That was a guy that I called about month ago asking if he can take a look at a boat that I just bought, tell  me if engine is working or not and to give me roughly estimate if anything has to be done. No problem but he is so backed up with work and  waiting list will be about 3 weeks long or more.

He did remember me and conversation we had and he couldn't believe that someone would charge $1,700 in labor to work on that engine.

Looks like small claim court after all.

Go with a cop and 1/2 off the money and get your boat now! this stops storage etc. let a judge decide he can not keep your property.

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Pay him with a check as you pick up the boat, then stop payment

Let him small claims court you

Tried that but he didn't want to take checks; cash only.

I was hoping he does take a credit cards , too.

9 hours ago, CapeDave said:

Go with a cop and 1/2 off the money and get your boat now! this stops storage etc. let a judge decide he can not keep your property.

I was even considering making a deal with him, maybe to give him $1,500.

I may have a break on the boat storage for next year. My seller may give me a free place to park a trailer and a boat for a while and that will save me some money so I could pay this scumbag.

Small claim courts can take a while and I would like to finally take this boat down to ramp.

Edited by Popasilov

Cash only, that leaves an opening for a bit of revenge

Go make a visit to your local IRS office, tell your story and mention he's cash only, won't even take a check.

I can almost guarantee an audit (IRS agents, surprisingly, are people too)

He will not give you and itemized bill and will only accept cash you need to find were he is taking your boat at night.

Go with the cops and a thousand in cash and stop the storage. He better have the boat on the premises.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Cash only, that leaves an opening for a bit of revenge

Go make a visit to your local IRS office, tell your story and mention he's cash only, won't even take a check.

I can almost guarantee an audit (IRS agents, surprisingly, are people too)

You read my mind

IRS would be a very next stop

999 Stewart Av Bethpage

53 mins ago, Kml said:

I think your nuts but if you give him cash at least make sure that you get a receipt that says “Paid in Full”

LOL

It better be stamped "Paid in full"

57 mins ago, CapeDave said:

He will not give you and itemized bill and will only accept cash you need to find were he is taking your boat at night.

Go with the cops and a thousand in cash and stop the storage. He better have the boat on the premises.

I don't know about any storage fee, yet.

Will see in few days

On 8/8/2018 at 7:18 AM, xjclint said:

In your case, see if a neighbor will let you put up a billboard for a week (just 4ft x8ft plywood) for a few hundred bucks and say

"The owner of this shop (put his full name) is holding my boat ransom until I pay him $2500 worth of work he did without my authorization. The police refused to help me. Stay away from this shop or you could be next."

Thanks for thoughts but

All commercial properties around.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Thanks for thoughts but

All commercial properties around.

Then I would put up a sign anyway.

It will be a day or two before the property owner notices, it filters through the corporate decision tree, and a guy gets assigned to go by and remove the sign.

By then, damage is done.

Take some friends and go get YOUR boat back during business hours. Just hook up and leave.

Let him sue you.

Do NOT give him a check then stol payment, that is fraud.