Popasilov

Overprized mechanic work

Rate this topic

407 posts in this topic

1st you should post his name, so no one else gets ripped off. 2nd you should stand in front of his shop ( on public land) on Saturday with your 5 year old with big signs saying he took your boat. Let his customers know what he did to you..

I can't believe that with the title in your name that he can legally  keep it. If you had the mechanics boat I'd bet he's get it back. The Civil Court case should decide if your liable for the repair costs (I say no) but ownership isn't the issue and he has no right to keep your property. You could probably hire a lawyer to write a threatening letter but getting lawyers involved will be cost prohibitive.

Maybe he would change his tune if you hung around his shop for a spell, letting all his customers know that he can't be trusted. Turn liberal on him, get a sign and protest. Sounds like he's gonna make you get your moneys worth. In your position, it would be more to me than money, I'd spend time, money, effort and time to make his life hell and I'd continue until he had me legally stopped.

Go get the bill and post it up so all can see what he did to earn that kind of scratch.

Oh and please tell us you went and picked up the boat.\\

What are the rules of mechanic leans in NJ??

20 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

Post the original estimate. The one you had before going in.

Here we go

5b68ea0e12e28_Boatworkpaper.jpg.5dcb20051c272e43542e63d56a66bd64.jpg

It didn't go well.

I called shop earlier today and of course, no answer. Left a message that I will be there later to pick up final bill and to see how can we solve this.

At the lunch time, nobody was there and I couldn't wait long so I left.

Went back around 5:45, gate was locked.

Now, my boat and trailer was nowhere around in back yard.

That made me hmmm

Something is going on.

Will see what will happen tomorrow.

6 hours ago, CapeDave said:

What are the rules of mechanic leans in NJ??

I don't know about NJ; I live in NY

And , looks like, in New York, mechanic can keep a car for unpaid bill and that may be applying on boat mechanic, too.

If I do not see him or at least talk to him tomorrow, I think now I have grounds to file for stolen or at least missing property.

On 8/6/2018 at 0:05 AM, 757saltwater said:

You knew before dropping that boat off and doing anything that you had a 1500-2500 dollar estimate on just the engine . Why would the same mechanic doing the same estimate for lower . Makes no sense. 

Yup. The repair didn't get magically discounted.

I wonder if the original estimate, that you gave him, from him, would get him off the hook in civil court.

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I think now I have grounds to file for stolen or at least missing property.

Not stolen , you dropped it off.

11 hours ago, CapeDave said:

Was that the estimate from a couple of years ago ??

I would say yes.

He asked if I have that paper that he gave previous owner to help him refresh memory and to do diagnostics faster.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Update #1.

I found him at his shop/yard today during my lunch break.

I called him first and told him I will be there and to give me final, itemized bill.

Trailer and boat were there (were not yesterday evening) and after about 20 minutes of counting, looking his notes and using calculator, he showed me a bill for $2,270.00, (labor $1600, parts 4 something and tax)

Wow.

When I asked him to give a copy so I can show my friends what kind of work  on 15HP engine he refuse to give and ask for money first and put a bill away, in the draw.

No money, no bill.

Friend of mine started reasoning  with him but answer was no money, no bill.

I didn't have time, to stay there and wait for county police since I had to be back at work, due to an emergency and didn't not want situation to get heated and my friend loose control and get in trouble for stupid things.

So we left.

Later on this evening, I passed by yard and what do you know :

My boat, was nowhere to be seen.

Edited by Popasilov

Update #2

Later on this afternoon, called a guy who lives here all his life and know people around.

Went to see him and he called another boat mechanic, good friend of his, to ask about my mechanic.

They were talking on the speaker, while I was quite and listening.

Well, apparently I am not a first one that this scum was pooled on.

He got a reputation of overcharging clients, doing work that was not needed and adding extra labor and parts to job.

After a few minutes listening I got involved in conservation too.

That was a guy that I called about month ago asking if he can take a look at a boat that I just bought, tell  me if engine is working or not and to give me roughly estimate if anything has to be done. No problem but he is so backed up with work and  waiting list will be about 3 weeks long or more.

He did remember me and conversation we had and he couldn't believe that someone would charge $1,700 in labor to work on that engine.

Looks like small claim court after all.

Very enlightening post. Have you contacted the attorney general and lodge a complaint?? They can be extremely affective. If this guy has had previous complaints they will be after him. Also contact the DMV and find out if he can legally sell your boat without a title and give them the VINs. It would then be registered in their computer system. Next time videotape the conversation with your friend there. Have him tell you that you cannot check bill before payment. Send copy to AG, YouTube and any social media that will expose him. Good Luck................

Kim:box:

Good luck!

You should have taken a pic with your phone of the bill.

As a mechanic my self there is no way it would take a day and a half of labor on any thing with out money up front!

Go get the boat with the police , pay him up front a thousand maybe fifteen hundred and take your boat!

This will stop storage fees and he can take you to court for the balance!   Get a note book out and document all actions

taken up until this point. And if that boat is leaving his place of business it is theft.