Popasilov

Overprized mechanic work

Rate this topic

407 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Rapala33 said:

.  So you dealt with Oyster Bay Town Police?  ..

Yes

I went there twice; local precinct is in Syosset.

I am going tomorrow to Minela county police precinct.

55 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Local police wont do anything.

Nice lady officer behind the desk told me same thing as I was told yesterday.

I couldn't even file stolen property report because boat is not stolen (she said); when I told her I will go to county police she said they will not be able to do anything.

I will try county police; Mineola precinct, tomorrow and see what they will tell me.

I went to civil court web page and started on  paper work already.

This is total BS. Forget the Town Police.  First off there's a reason that some cops are on the street and others are behind a desk.  Don't go to County Precinct.  Call NCPD from his shop and have them come there. Don't be afraid to have him call his Sergeant in. And like I said call in the State Police if for some crazy reason the County is siding with the mechanic. If what you've said so far is entirely true then this is a no brainer. Nassau County and the State Police are loaded with GREAT COPS.   Have them done there tomorrow, explain situation and have all your paperwork.  Unless there's something missing from the story you'll have your boat back immediately.

You should ask the nice female Town Police officer this.  If my mechanic did $2000 worth of work that was unauthorized when I brought it in for an oil change, would he be able to keep my car indefinitely and hold it for ransom?  NO SHOT.  Same situation.  After you get your boat back tomorrow you should go back to the Town and very politely say that there was something that could be done.

If I understand you correctly, you didn't even authorize ANY charges for diagnostics, so why would you offer to pay even $1 for those, forget $200 or $300?

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

If I understand you correctly, you didn't even authorize ANY charges for diagnostics, so why would you offer to pay even $1 for those, forget $200 or $300?

Yes

I did NOT authorize any charges nor it was even discussed

I asked for an estimate is it worth fixing engine.

I can see him charging me for an estimate of repairs that have to be done.

Not anything else.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Rapala33 said:

This is total BS. Forget the Town Police.  First off there's a reason that some cops are on the street and others are behind a desk.  Don't go to County Precinct.  Call NCPD from his shop and have them come there. Don't be afraid to have him call his Sergeant in. And like I said call in the State Police if for some crazy reason the County is siding with the mechanic. If what you've said so far is entirely true then this is a no brainer. Nassau County and the State Police are loaded with GREAT COPS.   Have them done there tomorrow, explain situation and have all your paperwork.  Unless there's something missing from the story you'll have your boat back immediately.

There are no hidden details.

I took my boat to this shop to see if engine is worth repairing.

That is all.

He never called and say something ike

" Hey Mike, you will need this and that and I will have to spend 12 hrs working on it"

Nope, nothing.

He called me on Saturday morning (actually, I  called him on Thursday, to see what's going on and he said just some small adjustment and boat will be ready in few days) and said boat is ready; after I asked how much money should I bring he said he will call me back in 20 minutes with final numbers.

And then, like 45 minutes later, while in local CVS he called me and drop a nuke on me; total charges were $1,960.00 or $1,980.00 not sure any more.

When I said  what do you mean? Two thousand to fix that boat?

He said yes

Well, why didn't you call me first? I never told you to fix anything in the first place? I never authorize any of the work, his answer was " Boat was there and I had that old estimate that he gave to previous owner few years ago"

SO I went down to shop, politely asking what made him think that I would drop 2 G on $600.00 engine and he did not have any answer except "Well, I did lots of work on that engine, and that is like 3 thousand engine"

I reminded him that we even spoke about I may get another smaller engine for like 7 or 8 hundred that he suddenly did not remember we  talked about.

When I said I do not have that money, his response was he will keep it; I said OK keep the engine I want my trailer and boat back  he said very loud

"No, I will keep all and sell it and if I  sell it for more than $2,000.00 you could have rest."

At that point my wife with our 5 years old,  walked in yard since she heard him kind of yelling; I walked away and told old man (he is 76 year old) that I have no choice but to go to police his answer was

"Good luck with that"

That was the whole conversation we had about it.

Edited by Popasilov

So,

My plan for tomorrow should be

Go back to the shop and try to reason with old man (I do not see how)

Maybe ask him to take back any parts that he put on that engine and give me my boat back (with trailer ans engine)

If that doesn't work call Nassau county police department and have them come there.

Unfortunately I have a feeling this will require a small claims case, and the judge will untimely mediate it as splitting the difference. 

The police will not help here, it is a civil matter. (Don’t read into that that I don’t personally think this is theft, it’s just reality). 

You can try and reason with him once more, but if things get hot you should not escalate and leave because who knows what the dirtball will claim (ex you threatened him or the like). 

Hoping this works out for you. It’s too bad you ran into a dishonest business owner. 

First off I'm not believing your side of this whole story. 

Post the original estimate. The one you had before going in. 

You keep saying you only wanted a estimate. But you already had one that was a few years old. That estimate only gonna get higher , very rarely they get lower. You knew before dropping that boat off and doing anything that you had a 1500-2500 dollar estimate on just the engine . Why would the same mechanic doing the same estimate for lower . Makes no sense. Now boat sat even longer needing new lines , filters,oils, gas treatment -possible tank drain the list goes on plus maintenance. You can say all you want that a 4 stroke motor only values at 600- 800 bucks. That's bs. You know it. Otherwise you wouldn't even bother your time in dropping the engine off.  Dropping-picking that boat off kills two days of your time of work or with your family. That's $200-$400 bucks depending how much you bring in a day plus parts that you would have spent for . Since you say you can get a four stroke motor for 600-800 $ then to me that's a no brainier why did you drop it off then. Sounds to me you knew what you were getting into

Edited by 757saltwater

12 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

First off I'm not believing your side of this whole story. 

Post the original estimate. The one you had before going in

It could be also than I am full of sh***t and that I am trying to confuse everybody here to side with me in this dispute.;

Lets start from beginning.

Post the original estimate. The one you had before going in

I never had en estimate; all I had was paper that previous owner got it from same guy, 2 or 3 years ago. Since then previous owner had a friend do winterizing and few small things.I will find that paper and post it here

You keep saying you only wanted a estimate. But you already had one that was a few years old. That estimate only gonna get higher , very rarely they get lower. You knew before dropping that boat off and doing anything that you had a 1500-2500 dollar estimate on just the engine . Why would the same mechanic doing the same estimate for lower

No,

I went over to ask him is it worth servicing since there are plenty of engines around 5HP to 9 HP for 7-8 hundred and less. I knew I needed water pump, battery and fuel tank and he told me he will sell those to me.

Now, when I drop boat first thing he did was check compression. I helped him, took spark plugs off and connect tool.

Compression was/is good and he said he will let me know about the rest of engine.

Also asked me if I had paper that he gave previous owner. It will save him some time to do diagnostics.

I had in my boat folder and  brought later to him.

There was not a world about

"O, here we go, It will cost you $2,500 to fix this engine"

If that was the case I would run out.

You can say all you want that a 4 stroke motor only values at 600- 800 bucks. That's bs. You know it. Otherwise you wouldn't even bother your time in dropping the engine off.  Dropping-picking that boat off kills two days of your time of work or with your family. That's $200-$400 bucks depending how much you bring in a day plus parts that you would have spent for

I do not know how much outboard engines are worth. I know that GEICO and All state farm are telling me that 98 Yamaha 15 HP is fair market/replacement value $680.

Dropping off/picking up takes me only 15 minutes and I drop that boat during my lunch time. Seller lives 1.2 miles from my place and shop is on the way there.

Since you say you can get a four stroke motor for 600-800 $ then to me that's a no brainier why did you drop it off then. Sounds to me you knew what you were getting into

I never said i can get 4 stroke engine for 6 to 8 hundred. I said there are lots of engines around for that money. Any 5 to 10 HP engine will do a job.

I have (had, lol) 98 Carolina Skiff J12; do you think that I will buy 100 HP engine for it?

So,

If I knew that i will spent $2,500 to repair $680 worth of engine, while I can buy a new one for less than $3,000 then I agree with you, I am dishonest SOB full of crap.

And stupid,too.

But, only If I knew

Edited by Popasilov

I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what he could possibly do to an engine of that size to rack up that kind of bill.

Unbelieveable.

I'd be there in the dead of night and just take it.  Cops themselves said its not stolen, right?

5 mins ago, makorider said:

I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what he could possibly do to an engine of that size to rack up that kind of bill.

Me too, what the hell did he do to it?