Popasilov

Overprized mechanic work

Rate this topic

407 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Have no idea

I live in Oyster Bay, NY; Nassau county.

Police officer told me small claim court is on 99 Main st Hempstead, NY

From what you're saying this guy basically stole your boat. Go to his place tomorrow with your paperwork and tell him you're taking your boat, with the engine. If he won't give it to you tell him you're calling the police, he may cave then. If he still refuses have the police come down and explain everything to them.  If it's the town PD that comes in and they won't do anything then call in Nassau County PD. If Nassau won't do anything then call in the State Police.  It's your set up and you have the paperwork to prove it so get it back.  If small claims court is to be involved then it should be him filing to receive payment.   Get out on the water and have fun!!

3 hours ago, SB59 said:

BETTER GET BAQUERO !

LOL

I never liked her

But the other guy, I think from channel 11, is good.

How much and what was the estimate for you got from previous owner?   Is he charging you daily storage to keep your boat while you sort it out?  

5 mins ago, Rapala33 said:

From what you're saying this guy basically stole your boat. Go to his place tomorrow with your paperwork and tell him you're taking your boat, with the engine. If he won't give it to you tell him you're calling the police, he may cave then. If he still refuses have the police come down and explain everything to them.  If it's the town PD that comes in and they won't do anything then call in Nassau County PD. If Nassau won't do anything then call in the State Police.  It's your set up and you have the paperwork to prove it so get it back.  If small claims court is to be involved then it should be him filing to receive payment.   Get out on the water and have fun!!

Thanks Rapala

I will try one more time with local police. Officer behind desk in local precinct didn't take any police report; he just told me to go to civil court since they can not do anything.

I will call Nassau County PD tomorrow, my local precinct is in Mineola and see what they will tell me.

I may try to make stolen property report, will see.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, JimW said:

How much and what was the estimate for you got from previous owner?   Is he charging you daily storage to keep your boat while you sort it out?  

It was about $2,500 with washing and  cleaning whole  boat, since it was sitting in the open space for about 6 to 7 years.

No words about storage, he just said yesterday he will keep everything to sell it.

And if he gets more than $2,000 he will give me the rest.

I didn't want to argue with him since I had a wife and kid with me so I left his place.

Edited by Popasilov

And now, come to think that some of the guys i know warned me about this place when we spoke about did I find any mechanic to look in to the engine?

His words were be careful he may be sneaky.

I thought would could be so sneaky, he will look at the engine and tell me how much it will cost and I will say yes or no.

I thought it would be simple as that; same as car mechanic.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Thanks Rapala

I will try one more time with local police. Officer behind desk in local precinct didn't take any police report; he just told me to go to civil court since they can not do anything.

I will call Nassau County PD tomorrow, my local precinct is in Mineola and see what they will tell me.

I may try to make stolen property report, will see.

Sell everything?  How is he going to sell it if he doesn't own it?  You have the title , correct?  This is bull****. This guy is taking advantage of you and trying to rip you off.  So you dealt with Oyster Bay Town Police?  Forget that.  Go there first thing tomorrow morning and tell him you're taking the boat (hell if he's open now go there now and ruin his Sunday dinner). When he tells you he's not giving it to you tell him you're calling Nassau County PD. When Nassau County shows be polite and respectful (as it sounds you already are) and explain everything including what the town PD said which is why you called them. Have all your paperwork.  Be adamant that you want you want all of your property immediately. If it looks like Nassau PD doesn't want to help then call in the State Police

4 hours ago, Rapala33 said:

I absolutely agree with this.  Get the police down there with paper work.  You don’t tell the police about repair work.  Let him whine about it.  You tell the police your boat is here without permission. Which it is.  That is a civil matter that must be settled in a court of law.  You visit the police station with title and registration and they will launch an investigation.  Offer no talk of authorized or unauthorized  repairs.  Because ypur boat is being kept without permission and that is a problem for him.  If you can prove that boat is yours you get it back.

Then go to court and pay that man the authorized charges or mail him a check woth notarized letter. He can’t just keep your car, when he illegally bumped up the price did extra work without authorization. If that was the case mechanics across america would do this all the time and keep peoples cars and boats. 

Edited by The Riddler

Local police wont do anything.

Nice lady officer behind the desk told me same thing as I was told yesterday.

I couldn't even file stolen property report because boat is not stolen (she said); when I told her I will go to county police she said they will not be able to do anything.

I will try county police; Mineola precinct, tomorrow and see what they will tell me.

I went to civil court web page and started on  paper work already.

Title, new plates for trailer and new stickers are still in the folder when I came back from DMV two weeks ago to transfer and register everything on my name.

So, yes I do have all paperwork.for boat, engine and trailer.

Edited by Popasilov

1 hour ago, ScottO said:

^^^^this, without the wife and kids, and with a bulky friend or two.  

Fat Tony, Guido and little Joe from Brooklyn?

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Then go to court and pay that man the authorized charges or mail him a check woth notarized letter.....

There were no authorized charges.

All we talk was for him to inspect engine and let me know is it /was it worth of repairing or should I but a new one.

That was all

After "Don't worry, I will take care of it" I left his place.

I will pay him for an estimate to tell me that I may need to spent $2,000 to repair $600 engine

(fair value of Yamaha 15HP 4 stroke, outboard engine is about $680)

So that would be what ?

$200?

$300?