Popasilov

Overprized mechanic work

210 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In need of advise;

Bought 98 Carolina Skiff J12 with 98th Yamaha 15HP 4stroke and trailer for $1,000.00

Went to local mechanic to do a service since boat and engine were sitting on the parking lot for 6 or 7 years . He remembered boat since previous owner had asked for estimate 2 or 3 years ago. He asked me if I had that estimate and I did and gave it to him.

I asked him to tell me if it is worth fixing or I may buy another used engine for $600 to $700. He said don't worry I will let you know. That was a Saturday, two weeks ago.

He called me today, boat is ready and when I asked how much I own him he drop a "nuke" on me, $2,000.00

Almost gave me a hearth attack.

II went over to ask him why he never called me to tell me what has to be done and what made him think I would spent $2,000 on maybe $800 worth used engine.

Since I do not have that money I also told him he can keep that engine and I want my trailer and boat back but now he refuse to give them to me and he wants  to keep them and sell them.

What and if any can I do?

He never called me to tell me estimate to repairs and I did not ever agree on those.

Has anybody been in this situation before?

Thanks

Edited by Popasilov

Take him to court and burn his ass. Legally he has to have you sign, he has no grounds for a lean with no aouthorization of repairs

Report him to the police.  He basically stole your boat and he's holding it for ransom. 

The cops may not do anything other than take your statement but at least there will be a record of it.  Then again, they may make him give you your boat back, especially if he has a history of this type of behavior.  Either way, get them involved.

I'd hook up to it and tow it home.   Make him prove that you asked him to work on it.   

Posted (edited)

Go to a police station in the same town as the mechanics shop. Fill out the paperwork. The police will try to talk you out of it but do not take no for an answer. If you make the report they will be forced to look into it. He is most likely going to claim you authorized verbally. 

Edited by aae0130

He can't keep the boat, perhaps the motor if he can prove you authorized repairs. I think the police make him give you back the property that you own by title and make him settle the dispute in court.

4 hours ago, Popasilov said:

In need of advise;

Bought 98 Carolina Skiff J12 with 98th Yamaha 15HP 4stroke and trailer for $1,000.00

Went to local mechanic to do a service since boat and engine were sitting on the parking lot for 6 or 7 years . He remembered boat since previous owner had asked for estimate 2 or 3 years ago. He asked me if I had that estimate and I did and gave it to him.

I asked him to tell me if it is worth fixing or I may buy another used engine for $600 to $700. He said don't worry I will let you know. That was a Saturday, two weeks ago.

He called me today, boat is ready and when I asked how much I own him he drop a "nuke" on me, $2,000.00

Almost gave me a hearth attack.

II went over to ask him why he never called me to tell me what has to be done and what made him think I would spent $2,000 on maybe $800 worth used engine.

Since I do not have that money I also told him he can keep that engine and I want my trailer and boat back but now he refuse to give them to me and he wants  to keep them and sell them.

What and if any can I do?

He never called me to tell me estimate to repairs and I did not ever agree on those.

Has anybody been in this situation before?

Thanks

Why let him keep your engine?

Thank you guys for chiming in.

4 hours ago, Grayson said:

Take him to court and burn his ass. Legally he has to have you sign, he has no grounds for a lean with no aouthorization of repairs

Looks like that will be a next step

3 hours ago, Shake-n-Bake said:

Report him to the police.  He basically stole your boat and he's holding it for ransom. .

Went to local police station, Syosset,  and nothing.

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Do you have a bill of sale for the motor , boat & trailer ? Hope you do .

Yes, I do.

I have a new plates for trailer and new boat sticker that are still in my house; i didn't put them on boat/trailer yet.

1 hour ago, DMacLeod said:

I'd hook up to it and tow it home.   Make him prove that you asked him to work on it.   

Was thinking of that but boat and trailer are inside his (gated and locked) yard

1 hour ago, aae0130 said:

Go to a police station in the same town as the mechanics shop. Fill out the paperwork. The police will try to talk you out of it but do not take no for an answer. If you make the report they will be forced to look into it. He is most likely going to claim you authorized verbally. 

I went to local police station and guy on the desk told me nothing they can do, it is a civil court..  He can claim whatever he wants; who would authorize $2,000 work on $600 engine? I can also claim that I gave him $1,500 or more  to start work.

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

He can't keep the boat, perhaps the motor if he can prove you authorized repairs. I think the police make him give you back the property that you own by title and make him settle the dispute in court.

I even told same thing to the guy; let me have my boat and trailer and you keep engine.

When I spoke to the police officer in the station he said they can not do anything about it, not even police report..

I have to go to civil court and file a lawsuit, And I have no idea what and how.

So much fun for boat fishing that I was hoping for.

It will be not much sleep tonight; going on the Hempstead civil court web site to start paper work.

14 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Why let him keep your engine?

I don't know

My thoughts were if he needed that much work on engine that I really do not need it.

12 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

In addition to other comments here, a complaint to local BBB seems in order.

Thanks Phill

That would be a very next step.

Is there an option for small claims court where you live?

Here in MA its inexpensive to file a complaint in small claims court, and one who files will typically request reimbursement for filing and any other administrative fees.  Many times the defendant doesn't show up, so the court finds for the plaintiff.  

3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Is there an option for small claims court where you live?

Here in MA its inexpensive to file a complaint in small claims court, and one who files will typically request reimbursement for filing and any other administrative fees.  Many times the defendant doesn't show up, so the court finds for the plaintiff.  

Have no idea

I live in Oyster Bay, NY; Nassau county.

Police officer told me small claim court is on 99 Main st Hempstead, NY