maltc

I've been skunked for over a month...Any Suggestions?

66 posts in this topic

There are some good fish around inside. Just be patient. This is some of the past two days. Boat fish, but all very close to shore. 

75CD8361-3A81-4F7A-95D3-40823F730D02.png

44C16DEA-F752-4DE1-8A3E-CBAC358415BF.png

1777F514-4666-4507-AC66-D5A2178FE27F.png

Nice job with the fish... and the anti-spotburn blurring! :rav:

Posted (edited)

21 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Trippy brah

lol. I blurred the background for obvious reasons, and the faces because none of them are me, and unsure how my boat guests would feel having their faces on the net.

Edited by ToddyRocks

15 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Hmmm @ToddyRocks not sure if when you joined SOL they let you know that "boat fish don't count" ;) 

Nice fish glad to hear you are getting into them!

Oh I am well aware. I didn’t count any of them. :p

Interesting tread ... ignoring the smarta$$ quips, everyone is right on ... just keep "plugging" away (literally).

I got back into fishing maybe 7 years ago (used to fish all the time as a pre-teen/before girls and beer ...), and spent a lot of time wondering the same. It took me several season before I caught my first keeper, and become proficient with schoolies. It took me several more seasons to catch my first Canal striper. Now, I fish a lot less often than you ... I would get out once maybe every other weekend for 2-3 hours tops ... so you have the advantage in putting your time in. Just stick with it, learn a handful of spots (make sure there are fish that frequent that spot ... reports or observing others) and really fish them hard to understand them, and get comfortable with you lures, presentation and techniques. It will come ... pretty soon you can pick out new  "fishy spots" and work those with some comfort. One thing I remeber is that until I had some success I was never comfortable choosing a lure or using a retrieve technique, always wondering if I was doing it wrong and changing things too quickly. All it takes is a little success and the comfort with be there.

7 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Interesting tread ... ignoring the smarta$$ quips, everyone is right on ... just keep "plugging" away (literally).

I hear you man. My "technique" when it comes to lake/river fishing for bass is pretty spot on. I almost always catch perch/largemouth when I attempt, but as far as striper fishing goes (or any salt water fish) I continue to fail. Tried behind spaulding today with some fresh herring for an hour before the storm at high tide by no luck...Even threw a minnow lure with my other rod. Fail once again and high tide was on its way in. Only got an hour in but no dice. I didn't use a slip sinker so maybe the bait needed to go lower. Is 30 lb braided test (spider slick- green) visible to these guys?

22 mins ago, maltc said:

I hear you man. My "technique" when it comes to lake/river fishing for bass is pretty spot on. I almost always catch perch/largemouth when I attempt, but as far as striper fishing goes (or any salt water fish) I continue to fail. Tried behind spaulding today with some fresh herring for an hour before the storm at high tide by no luck...Even threw a minnow lure with my other rod. Fail once again and high tide was on its way in. Only got an hour in but no dice. I didn't use a slip sinker so maybe the bait needed to go lower. Is 30 lb braided test (spider slick- green) visible to these guys?

Many wold doubt that the color of your line has a material impact when chasing stripers or bluefish.  (I'm assuming that you are using 3 or 4' of mono or clear leader material.)

Skunking is part of the Game , lets not be "Skunked" but lets know "why" the fish are there, Fishing is Not catching, it is Learning, a Huge process. Learn "why' the fish are there, then hone in.

8 hours ago, maltc said:

The challenge is finding areas that have food that keep stripers around.  These fish move hundreds of miles a year.  They could just decide to leave if there is no consistent food, or water temperature gets to high.  Lake fish cannot leave and are confined to a much smaller area.  Saltwater is a huge learning curve and expect three full seasons until you start to do well

Fishing to golf would be the shortest path to cluelessness for me. My clubs would be flung into a water hazard the first day. :kook:

14 hours ago, maltc said:

LMB fishing is about 100x easier than stripers IMO. Once you get PM privileges send me a message.