TheKnot

Rate your 2018 bluefish season so far ?

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, CWitek said:

NMFS just did a massive recalculation of recreational catch and effort statistics, using an improved methodology that got very good reviews from the National Academy of Sciences.  The figure reflects all angling sectors--shore, private boat and for-hires.

If you say so, but did not run across one bean counter last year.

As far as this year goes, I did not hurt one...:)

Lou

B for me. I don't fish a ton like other guys do but every time I targeted them I got them. But, they were late this year because of the really cold spring. And usually where I fish it's all 8 plus lb fish, this year its was a mix of 1 lbers up to about 10, with no real giants in the mix.  And they were all skinny as hell, even towards the end.  The past winter was really bad and extended so that has to have something to do with the lack of them being around.

Also, it was really tough to get them to come up top. I got a few on poppers but usually that's all I throw when they are around.

Edited by ridenfish

C-

Blues showed up late and didn't stick around long. Most were in the 18"-26" range, only had 2 over 30". Definitely weren't coming in as angry as past few years. Didn't have any crazy days on them, and didn't catch as many as before. 

6 hours ago, CWitek said:

Highest commercial landings in 2017 were in North Carolina, 1,213,000 pounds, followed by New York, 691,000 pounds, and Rhode Island, 647,000 pounds.

That compares with the highest recreational harvest states of 9,733,000 pounds, New Jersey, 6,945,000 pounds and New York, 6,163,000 pounds.

I bet a dollor to a dounut that more than 1/2 went into the dumpster . 

2 hours ago, TheKnot said:

I suspect that you’d win that bet.

18 hours ago, TheKnot said:

Maybe we can get a peer reviewed study done on that...

Not just in dumpsters either. 

I cant tell you how many guys throw them on the beach for shark bait or fertilizer.  It’s a lot of shame people don’t respect these hard fighting fish.  They fight harder than Bass and jump.  Nothing is more fun than getting into a blitz of big blues on top water. 

☝️Agreed. I’ll take a big blue any day.they are a great fight. This year for Long Island north shores has been horrible. Last 5 years I would have caught over 10 12-16 pounders. I can’t see how blue fish are on the decline when no one keeps them, I would think they would be plentiful. Guess not. Even the snapper bite is delayed

I saltwater fish in the Golden Isles of Georgia. For the last decade, I only caught a few. This year I caught blue after blue after blue. They ranged from 4 to 17 inches, head to tail,  most were 9 to 11. 

I have never seen so many, day after day, all in the last outgoing tide of the day.

1 hour ago, TheKnot said:

Grady re read post #65 all you need to know is right there , more are wasted than you think .

More might be wasted than I think because I don't assume nearly as many are as being suggested by some here. I have certainly seen carnage from those that "enjoying blitzes" as well as from my own hands, though it is less and less each year as opportunities dwindle. Management should be held accountable, they seem to be operating in an imaginary world.

17 hours ago, rollincoal said:

More might be wasted than I think because I don't assume nearly as many are as being suggested by some here. I have certainly seen carnage from those that "enjoying blitzes" as well as from my own hands, though it is less and less each year as opportunities dwindle. Management should be held accountable, they seem to be operating in an imaginary world.

Yeah I have seen people keeping their limits in blitz type situations of 10 fish at 8-15lbs. Not sure why this is ok. Even if the limit got cut to 4 or 5 that should help things out. 

First, I am glad they were not in the mix when I was catching spring stripers. However, then they appeared and I had 1-2 decent bluefish outings. I would call it a C- or a D.