dblhauler

Bonefish Dick update

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dick agree. It should not all be about the cancer. It’s about life . The cancer does not define you it is just a darned enemy which you are dealing with.

You got other things to do to. 

Will take my Ipad / scratch pad to the Cape with me in Sep and let you know what’s going on. Bit of a blog.

Nothing to report until then as our heat wave has knocked out my inland local fishing.

Hope your weekend is going ok.

cheers

Mikey 

Edited by Mike Oliver

Wishing you the best in your recovery. Great attitude,one minute/hour/day/ week/ month at a time. Try and remember that every day you put behind you,you don't have to do again.Prayers and thoughts your way. 

Glad your back.  ccb  The fog is thick today.  All fogged in.  

Nice to have you posting again. Have a speedy recovery.  Since you are Mr. Sanibel, have you been getting the emails from the City of Sanibel on the fish kill clean up ? What a mess.  It is a crime against the environment.  

I was on YouTube and happened upon an interview with a retired Sgt Major who was in Delta. When he was coming up, and was a Ranger, he considered trying out for Special Forces. He had a friend who was in Special Forces, and asked him what Special Forces selection was like.

The response he got from his friend was, "There's nothing any day that you couldn't do."

You have the right attitude, Dick. 

There's nothing any day that you can't do. All you have to do is make it through the day. 

Hang in there, amigo.

Good to hear things went well, keep your chin up!

JC

Glad I was wrong about the extensiveness of the surgery.

Good to hear from you.

Now, to mine the archives.....

What are the best specific doughnuts to have after a very successful morning on the water?

On 8/5/2018 at 4:43 AM, bonefishdick said:

Mike thanks for doing this.

I am taking one day at a time and I will approach things with a target date which is Spring 2019.

Between now and then I know things will be very hard  and each day starting with the day after surgery will be treated as a day of “ you do what you have to do today”. That approach is what I think will get me to my objective.

It is very hard to get internet connection In this place and when I can post.

I want to thank everyone for all the prayers and well wishes but moving forward we need to talk fishing and not BFD.

Tight Lines to all and from now on I will be looking for pictures and reports.

F#%$ YEAH Dick could not be happier to see you post again. Will keep you informed on the fishing reports per your request. Not sure if you’re planning on learning sign language or not but I’m happy to teach you how to sign “You should have been here yesterday” for the next time someone runs into you on the beach and asks you how the fishing’s going. :D

BFD - take it easy and get well soon. 

I did what I said I would do, and also sent you extra vibes.

Posted (edited)

Dick, you can look forward to joining us in the future and enjoy the bounty this beautiful river can provide.

August 9, 2018 Swift River

Stan was at my house promptly at 6 am. A change today, instead of hitting the salt we will try our luck with the picky trout on the Swift River. We arrived at our destination around 7:30 and there was only one car in the parking lot. We decided not to fish the more popular section above Rte. 9, and opted to fish further downstream.

The cold water and the hot air set up slight fog over the river as the sun peaked thru the treeline.

5b6c51290f794_MorningFog.JPG.93263bca1f9a4c2afac606e504787476.JPG

I chose a to enter the river below a small riffle area that looked promising to me, and an area that I thought would at least hold some Brookies. My fly choice was a Hopper/ Dropper rig with a foam Grashopper with a Pheasant tail dropper. Casting and searching this riffle area, I finally discovered where the fish were holding as my line tightened to the pretty Brookie below.

Brookie.JPG.97e9b4cd3461f913dbcd15681dda8033.JPG

Although I saw a few large Rainbows moving thru this area they were not in the eating mode. This was fine with me as I continued to catch an additional four Brooktrout. These fish alone made my day.

My friend Stan had taken a position upstream from me, where you could see a dozen or so of large Rainbows. Now, I have got to tell you that Stan is the type of guy who likes a challenge when fishing for trout, and just loves fishing with flies that I can barely see and tippets as fine as a spiders web. My smallest fly that I will work with is a size 22, and that is not very often. I watched Stan hook fish after fish only to get broken off  by them. As a result he spent a lot of time tying on new flies and new gossimer tippet material and was not able to land any of these large fish. He loves the challenge of fishing with a zero weight rod and these ultra small flies and that is all that counts. Below is a picture of him tying on yet another fly.  

5b6c516671335_Flychange.JPG.822180774b8cd18fa708e6cc40da9582.JPG

This is a beautiful river which for whatever reason I have only fished once before, and after a streamside lunch Stan moved further upstream on his quest to land a Rainbow on his 9x leader. I moved into the pool that he was in to try my hand at one of these Bows. I decided to switch up to a grey soft hackle fly and made cast after cast drifting this fly, which I could see in the gin clear water, directly above the noses of these selective fish with no moves on their part. I took a few steps downstream where I could see a fish lying between a branch extending out into the current and the seam made by the riffle at the end of the pool. Like the other fish it just seemed oblivious to my offering, then after about the 6th drift, it decided this was the time to attack. The take was vicious as my 3 weight rod bent over and the Bow made one jump and proceeded to made a huge commotion in the pool as it moved upstream. Thinking I had lost it I backed up as the fish resisted the bend in the rod. As I reeled in the line to fight the fish on the reel, I knew this was a good one. I finally was able to net this beauty. The picture below does not accurately show the size and weight of this fish, but I estimate it to be in the 19 to 21 inch range as it was barely able to fit in my net. From what I am told fish of this size are not uncommon in this river, and I was overjoyed at being able to catch one.

Bow.JPG.b63143a216d7dff08c40b8df5395219d.JPG 

After a successful release of this fish, my day was complete.

I was able to hook and land one more fish, a Brown trout about 11 inches long, which completed my grand slam for this river. Stan continued his quest for catching on ultra light tackle, as he continued to get broken off by these large fish. After an excellent morning of fishing it was time for the 1 1/2 hour ride back home, with the promise to return in the near future.

Edited by dblhauler

2 hours ago, dblhauler said:

Dick, you can look forward to joining us in the future and enjoy the bounty this beautiful river can provide.

August 9, 2018 Swift River

Stan was at my house promptly at 6 am. A change today, instead of hitting the salt we will try our luck with the picky trout on the Swift River. We arrived at our destination around 7:30 and there was only one car in the parking lot. We decided not to fish the more popular section above Rte. 9, and opted to fish further downstream.

The cold water and the hot air set up slight fog over the river as the sun peaked thru the treeline.

5b6c51290f794_MorningFog.JPG.93263bca1f9a4c2afac606e504787476.JPG

I chose a to enter the river below a small riffle area that looked promising to me, and an area that I thought would at least hold some Brookies. My fly choice was a Hopper/ Dropper rig with a foam Grashopper with a Pheasant tail dropper. Casting and searching this riffle area, I finally discovered where the fish were holding as my line tightened to the pretty Brookie below.

Brookie.JPG.97e9b4cd3461f913dbcd15681dda8033.JPG

Although I saw a few large Rainbows moving thru this area they were not in the eating mode. This was fine with me as I continued to catch an additional four Brooktrout. These fish alone made my day.

My friend Stan had taken a position upstream from me, where you could see a dozen or so of large Rainbows. Now, I have got to tell you that Stan is the type of guy who likes a challenge when fishing for trout, and just loves fishing with flies that I can barely see and tippets as fine as a spiders web. My smallest fly that I will work with is a size 22, and that is not very often. I watched Stan hook fish after fish only to get broken off  by them. As a result he spent a lot of time tying on new flies and new gossimer tippet material and was not able to land any of these large fish. He loves the challenge of fishing with a zero weight rod and these ultra small flies and that is all that counts. Below is a picture of him tying on yet another fly.  

5b6c516671335_Flychange.JPG.822180774b8cd18fa708e6cc40da9582.JPG

This is a beautiful river which for whatever reason I have only fished once before, and after a streamside lunch Stan moved further upstream on his quest to land a Rainbow on his 9x leader. I moved into the pool that he was in to try my hand at one of these Bows. I decided to switch up to a grey soft hackle fly and made cast after cast drifting this fly, which I could see in the gin clear water, directly above the noses of these selective fish with no moves on their part. I took a few steps downstream where I could see a fish lying between a branch extending out into the current and the seam made by the riffle at the end of the pool. Like the other fish it just seemed oblivious to my offering, then after about the 6th drift, it decided this was the time to attack. The take was vicious as my 3 weight rod bent over and the Bow made one jump and proceeded to made a huge commotion in the pool as it moved upstream. Thinking I had lost it I backed up as the fish resisted the bend in the rod. As I reeled in the line to fight the fish on the reel, I knew this was a good one. I finally was able to net this beauty. The picture below does not accurately show the size and weight of this fish, but I estimate it to be in the 19 to 21 inch range as it was barely able to fit in my net. From what I am told fish of this size are not uncommon in this river, and I was overjoyed at being able to catch one.

Bow.JPG.b63143a216d7dff08c40b8df5395219d.JPG 

After a successful release of this fish, my day was complete.

I was able to hook and land one more fish, a Brown trout about 11 inches long, which completed my grand slam for this river. Stan continued his quest for catching on ultra light tackle, as he continued to get broken off by these large fish. After an excellent morning of fishing it was time for the 1 1/2 hour ride back home, with the promise to return in the near future.

Great story and a beautiful fish!