dblhauler

Bonefish Dick update

50 posts in this topic

5b6441a42d6e8_DickinChatham.thumb.jpg.ad469f8cf38b90f76cfc16d04b699a6d.jpg

I thought it would be better to start a new topic on this so you will have easier access. Sorry for the double post Tim, I just thought this would be better.

I am not sure whether Dick would approve of my writing this post to you guys, but since we fish together quite a bit, I will take the heat from him if he disapproves. I can see all of the respect you folks have for "Bonefish", so I thought it is only fair to give you an update on his operation yesterday.

I received this text from someone in his family Wednesday night, I believe it was his wife but I am not sure.

"Richard came through the surgery well & the Dr. feels he got all the cancer.

He's in a lot of pain but we are hoping he feels better in a few days."

This is all I can tell you at this time. He obviously is and will be in our prayers until he makes that first cast in the spring. I am sure he appreciates all of your support.

I'm sure that we all feel a sense of relief.  Not that it's over, but he's a tough boy.

dlbhauler, we all appreciate the update on BFD.

I'm sure he was in the thoughts of many here on the forums during his surgery and it's good to know he came through OK. 

Thanks for the update. He is a good guy and I planned to fish with him when I take my next trip down to the Sanibel area. That was the plan before the water issue anyway. Really hope he recovers soon.

Posted (edited)

The good news is that the surgery is over.  However from my understanding it was head and neck surgery of extreme proportions with revision of how he breathes and how he will take in food. He will be HEAVILY medicated, completely out of it for a combination of pain control and to permit healing and maturation of the new plumbing for weeks and completely dependent on IV's and tube feedings.

We all will rejoice when  we see the next posting from Dick, since that means he has passed the worst, but I wouldn't expect that for more than two weeks and it could b a month......if all goes well.  I would be delighted to be wrong.

Obviously he is on all of our thoughts. 

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Cancer sucks. 

I wish he and his family the best including comfort and progress toward their new normal. 

Prayers at Mass this weekend. 

Peter

Thanks for the additional tech info. It is a good job Dick is tough and has attitude.  His will to live is huge. His decisions courageous.

I get that feeling he will make it through this extremely difficult surgery.

He has so many rooting for him.

Mike

Speedy recovery to you BFD.  I hope the doctors got rid of all the dreaded C and you can get tight real soon on the magic wand!   Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Fly