Once again, crispy wings in oven???

Rate this topic

I'm having the guys over tonite for wings, beer and fellowship.

A while back there was a thread about smoked wings. Several posted that they did them in the oven. SIM & someone else posted that tossing wings in backing powder to lightly coat them was the secret to making baked wings crisp w/ out negatively impacting the flavor. I saw that after I had already divided my wings and soaking them in 3 different marinades (BBQ, Jerk & Buffalo).

If I'm going to coat them in baking powder, may I assume I'll need to pat them dry them well first, so baking powder actually gets to skin instead of caking / clumping on marinade on the skin?

What is best time / temp for cooked through wings w/out being dried out & here's what's important.... Crisp skin?

I'm going to clean my oven this morning well so I can really crank it up if needed.

I'm also buying a few cooling racks to put inside of my backing pans to keep wings out of their juice.

Would it work to cook them low & slow in their juice / marinade, then drain crank up broiler to finish?

Looking for tips for well cooked crispy wings please.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Pat them dry first, and you only need a very scant amount of baking powder for a large number of wings, coated so that you can barely even see it. Any more than that and it will have that baking soda flavor.

Temp I use is 425. The wings are put in a single layer in a lightly buttered pyrex baking pan. In the oven about 10-15 minutes, then I lightly coat the skin with butter, and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so until the skin crisps. About 1/2 thru drain or spoon out some of the rendered fat from the baking dish. You can put on the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so to brown/crisp them further is desired.

Alton Brown does this thing where he steams them first to render the fat and then cooks them in a 475 oven, (in fact, that episode was on yesterday afternoon.) I have tried it and found it not worth the effort. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe-1937515

Do not marinade before cooking, TOSS in whatever sauce you are using after the cooking is complete.

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Pat them dry first, and you only need a very scant amount of baking powder for a large number of wings, coated so that you can barely even see it. Any more than that and it will have that baking soda flavor.

Temp I use is 425. The wings are put in a single layer in a lightly buttered pyrex baking pan. In the oven about 10-15 minutes, then I lightly coat the skin with butter, and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so until the skin crisps. About 1/2 thru drain or spoon out some of the rendered fat from the baking dish. You can put on the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so to brown/crisp them further is desired.

Alton Brown does this thing where he steams them first to render the fat and then cooks them in a 475 oven, (in fact, that episode was on yesterday afternoon.) I have tried it and found it not worth the effort. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe-1937515

Do not marinade before cooking, TOSS in whatever sauce you are using after the cooking is complete.

Thanks Steve,

Your recipe sounds great!

Got it, dry 1st & thin layer of baking powder.

So no need to bake on drying rack above baking pan to keep out of juices?

Too late on the marinade, they're bathing in it currently.

JD

I do them similar to SIM, but after they're done cooking (with just dry seasonings), I'll toss them in my sauce of choice and dump them all back on the baking sheet and crank the oven up high for 5 minutes or so.  I pull them out right as the sauce starts to caramelize/burn.   You lose a bit of crispiness (but I can never get baked wings as crispy as fried anyway), but I prefer the sauce hot and slightly cooked into the wings

Before cooking I toss mine in salt, pepper, and this.  This stuff (MSG + spices) is delicious with chicken.  

sazon.jpg.42160be2ba050d36682961651fb69f93.jpg

Edited by fishfood

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

I do them similar to SIM, but after they're done cooking (with just dry seasonings), I'll toss them in my sauce of choice and dump them all back on the baking sheet and crank the oven up high for 5 minutes or so

This - I always put them back in for a few minutes.

Will look into the air fryer.

Jim - Pre-marinading wings really does little for the flavor and just makes the oven frying more difficult, cause no matter how much you pat them dry, they still contain all that moisture just under the skin. And very little of it actually penetrates the meat of the wings. So you end up sort of steaming them instead of the relatively dry heat and small amount of oil you need for crispness.

Yeah, I will marinade breasts or thighs, but when I do that I use a fork to deeply pierce the meat in a lot of spots to give an avenue for the marinade to get in. That is really not practical or effective with the relatively small amount of meat the wing has.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

This - I always put them back in for a few minutes.

Will look into the air fryer.

Jim - Pre-marinading wings really does little for the flavor and just makes the oven frying more difficult, cause no matter how much you pat them dry, they still contain all that moisture just under the skin. And very little of it actually penetrates the meat of the wings. So you end up sort of steaming them instead of the relatively dry heat and small amount of oil you need for crispness.

Yeah, I will marinade breasts or thighs, but when I do that I use a fork to deeply pierce the meat in a lot of spots to give an avenue for the marinade to get in. That is really not practical or effective with the relatively small amount of meat the wing has.

Makes a lot of sense!

You should teach a cooking class.

Thanks Steve!

JD

3 mins ago, jjdbike said:

You should teach a cooking class.

Sorry, ain't that good. Just many years of effing things up, thinking about them, applying some of my chemistry/science background, and some common sense, and learning from others, absorbing the good, and rejecting the not so good, trying again and again and again, and finding success. And at times, I STILL manage to eff things up..... :o

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

Hey folks, here's what I did.

24 wings in buffalo wing sauce w/ a good bit of garlic powder,

18 wings in BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, liquid smoke, smoked paprika and a can of fresh roasted tomatoes

18 wings in jerk marinade w/ extra allspice, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, liquid smoke

Soaked for 20 hours.

Drained & patted dry.

Placed on drying racks in backing pans.

In oven preheated to 300.

10 mins in, re-patted dry & tossed in backing powder,

Drained liquid from baking pans.

Back in oven cranked up to 350 for approx 30 mins.

Pulled:

Oven cranked unto 485

Drained liquid from baking pans.

Buffalo tossed in buffalo sauce w/ butter and fresh crushed garlic

Jerk sprinkled w/ McCormic jerk seasoning

BBQ tossed in sauce.

Back in hot oven for 6-8 mins

Pulled & flipped

Back in oven for 6 - 8 mins.

Pulled & enjoyed.

Flavorful & just crisp enough, similar to grilling.

Chunky blue cheese sauce w/ additional chunks of blue cheese.

A wide variety of different fresh veggies sliced to also enjoy w. the blue cheese sauce.

A variety of micro brews, aged bourbon & an assortment of fresh brownies.... yes, health food. Not good for ya, but good to ya.

Next time I'll skip marinade.... it was too much work, especially trying to dry them. 

Thanks!

Edited by jjdbike