chumfish

Who Has Fished Lake Wallenpaupack?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Wallenpaupack is challenging and frustrating.

Never fished it till this summer.

Not freaking bad. Now I lose sleep closer to home.

Send me a pm if you want to try. The boat fishes 2 safely.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sheisty said:

How is it for ice fishing?

Difficult. I plan to fish it this weekend.

I have a new fishfinder which helps me see there's nothing under me.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sheisty said:

How is it for ice fishing?

There’s dozens out there right now, some with huts. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, Lateral Line said:

Wallenpaupack is challenging and frustrating.

Never fished it till this summer.

Not freaking bad. Now I lose sleep closer to home.

Send me a pm if you want to try. The boat fishes 2 safely.

Any smallies in there?

It's not a place you want to be in the spring or summer fishless. Here is a list of what they have.

1- Spottail Shiner 2-Alewife 3-Golden Shiner 4-Margined Madtom 5-White Sucker 6-Yellow Perch 7-Black Crappie 8-Bluegill 9-Pumpkinseed 10-Redbreast Sunfish 11-Rock Bass 12-Redear Sunfish 13-Common Carp 14-Yellow Bullhead 15-Brown Bullhead 16-Channel Catfish 17-Smallmouth Bass 18-Largemouth Bass 19-Rainbow Trout 20-Brown Trout 21-Striped Bass Hybrid 22-Striped Bass 23-Walleye 24-Chain Pickerel 25-Northern Pike 26-Muskellunge

Yes smallies. Good fishing from what I understand. I've never caught one. 

Each type fish in that lake is pressured by boat / personal watercraft... etc in their habitat or part of the lake. Cruise the lake with fish finder and read the odd fish at times. This is not the way to find them. Look for the structure and or depth / water temps and fish these areas with confidence at times of low / no pressure. It's a clear water lake, so your boat spooks everything, same with heavy line or leader. You will rarely capture an image of a predator on a fish finder even with side scan. You'll see guys pulling boards. You will read bait in some areas, usually close to shore and on deep water points. I've found this to not mean much as the lake is loaded with bait. Think night. Sounds familiar? "Night is right" in summer season but early and late early and late day opportunities exist. There's good fish in there and I've only recently figured out a bit. I must say its a new addiction, but closer to home. I've come to a bit of an understanding and appreciation of the lake because I'm able to put some time in. This fishing is as tight lipped as any of the ocean fish ever was and is and its a blast.

All that said, I'd ice fish starting from Mangan Cove and fish either side of the dam closest to the shore. Try to find the depth and position yourself at the drop and or structure. I've caught good pickerel and perch here.  Wilsonville area holds smallies and I see people fish there. I know some guys do well in summer there. The Shuman's point area is where I'd fish on the ice. It's a walk but I think worth it. Good luck.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Sheisty said:

It's not a place you want to be in the spring or summer fishless. Here is a list of what they have.

1- Spottail Shiner 2-Alewife 3-Golden Shiner 4-Margined Madtom 5-White Sucker 6-Yellow Perch 7-Black Crappie 8-Bluegill 9-Pumpkinseed 10-Redbreast Sunfish 11-Rock Bass 12-Redear Sunfish 13-Common Carp 14-Yellow Bullhead 15-Brown Bullhead 16-Channel Catfish 17-Smallmouth Bass 18-Largemouth Bass 19-Rainbow Trout 20-Brown Trout 21-Striped Bass Hybrid 22-Striped Bass 23-Walleye 24-Chain Pickerel 25-Northern Pike 26-Muskellunge

Yup sounds like I should avoid at all costs. 

I've only ice fished it once and that was last year off Ironwood. I collected massive amounts of info on the lake and up to the day fishing reports and went my way. A lot of the spots pointed out to me were only accessible via machines as the walk from public access is over a few miles. Unfortunately a great walleye spot was mentioned to me but due to the walk I haven't sacked up to try it. The normal two spots I hear of ice wise is Ironwood and Ledgedale. Fortunately for the day I went I picked Ironwood and it paid off in a ton of perch. Studying the lake on Navionics helped as well. I was able to hit depths and features other people were mentioning getting the fish on.