scoobydoo

2019 Penn Spinfisher VI 1 Hour submersion test & results......because....why not

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Because this sort of thing....apparently is a thing  :)

I figured why not see just how well it holds up.

So just to cover a few basics...

The Spinfisher VI is sealed as far as I can tell.....Identically in every way shape and form to the Slammer 3.

The differences in IP rating is a result of streamlining since the other reels in the series (long cast and live liner) have more holes that require more seals and different methods of sealing.  Slapping a different moniker on each would just add more questions and confusions than necessary.    And at the same time....It's a convenient way to up-sell to the Slammer 3.   Which it has to be said.....is remarkably similar 

(Slammer offers metal rotors on all sizes...brass main and oscillation gear on all sizes.....dual drags.....Ti spool shaft........no screw in body base cap......Sealing is the same)

The live liner secondary drag adjustment has three extra body openings.  Two for the lever and 1 for the tail cap that protects the pretension adjustment knob.

The Long Cast version has a Antireverse On/ Off switch and a different Pinion bearing support retainer.   (it's worth mentioning mine is a pre production model and lacked the hydrophobic coating as seen in the video)

One thing also to remember..this reel also comes in a 2500 size which is unique as well.

So comparing this to a stradic or sustain.

The Spinfisher's sideplate seals are much more effective..(the shimano seals in those reels as well as the ballistic and saltist are very light)..

The Spinfisher  incorporates a 100% effective body perimeter seal...and the design at the ar clutch is the same sans the added plate shimano adds which sits below the rotor with a very small gap above the ar clutch.   (arguably a bit better in design since it adds to it a few more intricate paths for the water to bypass.  Which is very different when you factor in rotation and the hydrophobic coating.

So yeah...about the test.....a fish tank ain't the beach....it's not going from warm to freezing cold water.....it's not getting blasted with waves and there is no salt sand and debris to factor since it's brand new......But it can show a weakness.  And it did.  But keeping in mind this.....It's not claiming to be a fully sealed egg beater....just a ipx5 to withstand some spray...So albeit  a weakness....It's kinda overachieving?! yes / no?  Especially given the competition and the features it brings to the table.

I think either for the slammer or the bailess reels in general...they should bolster the seal at the top pinion bearing.....and forego the hydrophobic coating...or leave it and add one.  The difference in friction wouldn't be severe.  (see spheros / saragossa)  and it is more effective and serviceable.

But with that being said....other than submersions...it'll be bulletproof as it's proven in the Slammer 3  (I think we can say that it's proven at this point)

FYI the 1 hour segment is sped up between 300 and 6000% so  it's only 3 mins long not 60....I figured I'd leave in to pre-emptively disarm skeptics in regards to the duration.  And never once did I take it out of frame

Edited by scoobydoo

Great Review Scoob!

Few things:

1 - Adding Nemo in there was classic!

2 - Nice to see no water intrusion even with no crank handle.

3 - If the seals are exactly the same as the slammer 3, what constitutes the price difference?

(Sorta feels like i should have waited for this before buying my Slammer 3 4500 and 5500...)

just my .02...

This video was great! Your "Saltist who?" line set me off to create a whole new thread ranting about about Daiwa's seeming reluctance to produce a fully sealed mid priced reel. I should've saved my rant for this thread...

Anyways, my point is if PENN, Shimano, Tsunami can do it, so should Daiwa! The Saltist was the ideal reel to do it with! Ugghh!!

1 hour ago, Evil-Bay said:

Great Review Scoob!

Few things:

3 - If the seals are exactly the same as the slammer 3, what constitutes the price difference?

(Sorta feels like i should have waited for this before buying my Slammer 3 4500 and 5500...)

just my .02...

Sealing isn't everything when it comes to price Evil-Bay.

The price difference between SSVI and SLAIII is this...

1.) SSVI has an aluminum CNC main gear in the 2500-5500, brass in the 6500-10500. All pinions are brass. Slammer uses brass main gear in all sizes.

2.) SSVI has carbon rotors from 2500-5500, aluminum 6500-10500. Slammer uses all aluminum rotors.

3.) SSVI has a top stack HT-100 drag setup. Slammer uses the bottom stack, Dura-Drag setup with higher max drags (also known as the Slammer drag).

4.) Slammer does also have a fully machined handle knob that runs on two extra bearings. SSVI has our standard rubber knobs. FWIW if you want another handle, the Slammer handles and SSVI handle assemblies are interchangeable, and we sell them in our parts department.

Slammer was designed and built like a tank, with very high drags and the internals to go along with it.

Ben

Thank you Ben!

I feel better now!

Thanks for pointing out the differences.

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE my slammers.  The line lay alone makes me all gitty.

I do hope the next slammer will incorporate slotted spools to let water out quicker and making the reel lighter.

- Evil

2 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

:worms:

They're little worms though..... :)

Interesting little worms lol

2 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Great Review Scoob!

Few things:

just my .02...

Thanks meng....wouldn't call it a review...more like a hmmmmmm OK...now  I know.  :)

I added this in the OP  (Slammer offers metal rotors on all sizes...brass main and oscillation gear on all sizes.....dual drags.....Ti spool shaft........no screw in body base cap......Sealing is the same)

*larger spinfishers get metal rotors.

And one other thing i'm not sure of....Slammer gets a brass oscillation gear...standard spinfisher gets zinc....though brass can be found in the live liner...(not sure if larger sizes get brass in the spinfisher)

I like this jump from the battle two better than the clash and spinfisher 5.  I think it's a helluva good value 

If you look at the competition....shimano socorrow is junk  And it's cheaper than the spheros.....the BG is great but the only 150$ reels are tatulas...and i wouldn't take that near salt let alone sand.     SO it owns the spot offers competition to the spherogosa.  And ooooof...that poor saltist.   The saltist flat out looks overpriced now....and it used to be defensible when it didn't have any outside competition and could be viewed as a different kind of use type reel....

Now this thing comes out and poof......that goes out the window.  And the back bay now becomes the "different use" sort of reel.  And it's a beautiful and buttery smoove eggbeather that back bay is....but Sorry....it ain't playing well with sand and surf abuse.

Posted (edited)

Excellent water test video Scoob. This should answer many questions guys will have with the IPX ratings with these new reels. Great job!

I will be purchasing 1 of each size of the liveliner and longcast models.

Im super impressed with the performance of my Slammer 3 4500 & 5500. They are serious ,heavy duty, saltwater reels. Also impressive is the many choices Penn is offering with the new Spinfisher VI.

Edited by Tagman

Thank you for doing this. I do not usually comment on your videos, but I do subscribe to your channel and really get a lot out of them. Very much appreciated.

This is good to know, excellent resistance to inadvertent dunk...but cranking is another kettle of fish. 

And for any reel that you crank underwater, its just a matter of time (and wear of seals) before water gets in there, imo, anyways. Either that or yearly replacement of seals in your VS etc.

I enjoyed the video I’ve really been feeling good about penn this last year again. I do agree the bailess models would be awesome if they would seal better as I don’t really care if the cranking is alittle harder on my surf reels vs boat reels. I’ve grabbed 5 Penn reels in the last year . This seems like a major improvement over the ssv which I owned several of and didn’t care for aside from a fantastic drag.

Thanks for your review!

Is it true, that small and medium sizes now have a cheap plastic rotor?

" A Full Metal Body and sideplate keep the CNC Gear System in precise alignment under heavy loads. "

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels-penn-spinfisher/penn-spinfisher-vi-spinning/1454457.html

For me a plastic rotor at a Penn Spinfisher is a no-go.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Streamdance said:

Thanks for your review!

Is it true, that small and medium sizes now have a cheap plastic rotor?

" A Full Metal Body and sideplate keep the CNC Gear System in precise alignment under heavy loads. "

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels-penn-spinfisher/penn-spinfisher-vi-spinning/1454457.html

For me a plastic rotor at a Penn Spinfisher is a no-go.

No problem! you're welcome ((not really a review...just a silly test...can't review a reel without putting some poundage on it :)  ))

The smaller sizes I belive 5500 and smaller are graphite rotors.

They can handle Hi teens of drag without any real flex.

I don't see an issue with it in those sizes.   Aren't Gosa and saltist rotors graphite as well in the smaller sizes?

It also has the top  only drag stack vs the Slammer draw of old which incorporated a top washer and larger washers underneath.

But they are carbon fiber washers so it's fine for what it is......Especially considering the price point.

Edited by scoobydoo

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, ATH1089 said:

Thank you for doing this. I do not usually comment on your videos, but I do subscribe to your channel and really get a lot out of them. Very much appreciated.

Ditto, The information you publish is, time well spent and indicative of someone who gives a damn, A rare commodity these days, Thankyou.