frazerp

Wired Plugs on Duplicator

11 posts in this topic

Anyone figured a way to take wired (factory or home-made) plugs & use yr duplicator to make a template.

Thought - Pins/stubs & hooked wire to lathe centers, so they don’t rotate (much or at all).

Just got my Vega midi set-up on my Grizzly G8690, mostly due to Artistic Sensibilities’ really great, 5 sets of install instructions.

Thanks All ...

Drop it on the computer scanner, cover it with a towel, use black and white

Use the resize feature in your photo application to get the size just right.

Cut it out and tape it to a piece of Plexiglas and cut out the profile on the band-saw.

Use sandpaper to tweak it just right

I have never tried the computer copy way but I have good luck with a contour gaugeA06100BD-6082-4856-9075-4960FBC8F2D1.png.e99ca8f98f95af378e1038282b86eba5.pngI think lord ship lures has a video on YouTube that shows this method

Posted (edited)

Sudsy - here are a bunch of scans from my Brother MCF-J67100W scanner - not terribly useful w/o a large pile of software, etc.

5b63dc56b2c00_MussoSlopeHead.thumb.JPG.eddba36d2fe7ec8f6ae94e175bbd9246.JPG

Either it's just a pencil carefully out-lining the plug or my still to TBD Vega fix.

SS Darter.JPG

SS Darter 2.JPG

Musso Slope Head 2.JPG

CCW Darter 1.JPG

CCW Darter.JPG

Gibbs Pencil.JPG

SS Darter 300.TIF

SS Darter 200.TIF

SS Darter 100.TIF

Edited by frazerp
Still can't get it right ???

FYI, the Lex lipless swimmer may well be the hardest plug ever to duplicate

Tony Spina once told me that only about half the ones made actually swam the way he wanted them to.

I've been on a steady diet of fail with those things

On 8/3/2018 at 0:43 AM, frazerp said:

Either it's just a pencil carefully out-lining the plug or my still to TBD Vega fix.

That's all workable

Just print it, tape it down to the plexi, rough cut close to the line with the bandsaw and bring it fo a final shape with the belt sander

I am in the process of making some templets now I will post pics of process I use drawing out with graph paper

I have had good luck with this methodA2CC80A2-ED99-4349-9AF1-7B39CF85AD54.thumb.jpeg.80e8da34227691878171a9bfa65c9877.jpegfirst I take and draw the plug on graph paper just work down it measuring every 1/2” or so I also make note of hook, eye and weight placementEEC52837-5497-4E3F-938E-C80DD0E73050.thumb.jpeg.276992608cc504cf5dee9780d1dc0236.jpegthen I cut a strip of tracing paper the same width of the plexi glass I’m going to use as template I make a line straight off the ends at the final diameter not the canter cut it out. I cover the plexiglass in tape so it’s easier to draw on and trace the profile on it834AA5A1-D632-4A28-A378-7C3B4E54100F.thumb.jpeg.7b9851fa97317943d163611dc24bb537.jpegafter I count it out on the bandsaw I clean it up with a file and sandpaper I also use a razor knife to score in the end lines of plug, hook, weight, eye and any other thingsB093901D-03E2-46AC-97D9-FEE288EB6F4F.thumb.jpeg.cf794d180503ddde7641a5813c5f603e.jpegafter that’s done I run a sharpie down my scores to high lite them write my end and center diameters and blank length and plug name right to template. I give my self 1” on each end of plug so I will end up with a 1/2” long nipple on each end that I can measure to fine tune once it’s mounted on duplicator and I will still have 1/2” of square on the very end I like have some square ends to work off of for some operations like lip slot, hook hanger and weight holes and eye sockets if you don’t want square ends no big deal just cut them off. Once on the lathe you can always file a little of template if need be to adjust the shape. I will prob try and turn a few of these this week so I will take a couple pics of setting it up if anyone has any questions or I missed something please ask or comment. Have fun Don

I too use the copier to plexi method. But I find that making up two turned masters eases the set up. One master for the duplicator to follow, and one on the lathe to verify it is set up correctly. Or you can use your plexi with one master on the lathe. I have traded a number of master blanks with a few builders. Pen works better than sharpy for marking masters as pen wont spread.

I do something very similar to what Sudsy does...only use a copier....lay the lure on the copier copy as is or use zoom feature to get size you want.  Trace onto Plexiglas and go from there.

I have tried the contour gauge but don't trust it not to move.  I have seen people set the master plug into the duplicator, replace the tracing stylus with a pencil, set up a piece of paper to have the pencil trace out the design on a piece of paper; then use the paper to transfer the shape to a piece of plexiglass. 

I just place the original on the plexiglass, hold it steady, trace the plug with a sharpie and cut out the shape on the bandsaw.  After it's cut, I sand and refine down from there.