MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

452 posts in this topic

Had to put in an abbreviated session this morning with placed to be, so stayed close to home base.  Let's say this morning was one of those wrong places at the wrong time.  Haven't fish the area in about two weeks, but the amount of sand movement was unbelievable.  Rock piles being covered and no structure to fish, just flat  sand and thin water at low tide.  Best I could do was a short fluke on the white sand eel.  No rips or cuts for the bugs today along with the south to north flow resulted in a striper skunk.  Probably won't be back out till Monday. 

3 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Please don't anyone here take offense to this , but honestly many of the less experienced members here can not really tell the difference between a sand eel and a spearing.

That being said , I did have a good friend who does know the difference tell me a few weeks ago that he cleaned a fluke from an Ocean County beach and it was loaded with 2 inch sand eels.

Ive seen eels in oc for many weeks at least I think they're eels:) 

Out front, MoCo, from 7:00-8:30 pm. One little guy on the Smokey Joe and one at 22" on the bugs. Lost a couple others. Got my first stargazer of the year, on the bugs. Ugly fish. 

Strong SSE wind with plenty of white water and wave action. Incoming tide. Current along the beach was south to north. Not another person fishing for as far as I could see!

I was in mask and fins. As of at least 4 weeks ago,

they are sand eels. Short fluke have been coughing

them up also.

Brought my girlfriend out front in SoMoCo from 1900-2130 tonight but didn't have too much luck. Early on she hooked into a small striper that threw the hook and right before we called it a night I landed a tiny fluke. We were walking the beach and drifting bugs in the south to north sweep. I also think I found a sand eel today searching for bugs. My first time seeing one (if it is one) as well. Might be going out again tomorrow night so we'll see what happens. 

C1A79C29-DE9B-43F1-9E3A-CB7D7B17E161.jpeg

Somebody should start throwing an Ava with a small sluggo teaser

13 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Did they look anything like this Lou?IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.4d6ede2c28de2155e3f2bca582f3e7cc.JPG

Thats it haha time for green tailed avas and teasers

3 hours ago, Bristol Lou said:

It's good to see you young guys learning something from this site Lou.

Well what comes around...... Awhile back, you couldn't find a green tail Ava.

Everyone was throwing. When I found some, of course, overloaded.

Then the little bastards disappeared.

Hope they stay around. Fishing diamonds off the beach is a breeze

16 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Somebody should start throwing an Ava with a small sluggo teaser

Or Red Gill.

J:wag:n

1300-1530 around the turn of the incoming Raritan Bay. Caught a 15" bluefish (idk what those s sized blues are called) on a kastmaster. There was a lot of peanut bunker in the area getting harassed, mostly by micro snappers, and to my surprise, by some of those 15 inchers. I didn't know what i was going after. I just wanted to do fishing; i figured fluke or snappers. I threw a bucktail, pink fluke on a jig, a chatter bait, then kastmaters of various sizes from 1/4-1oz. I caught the blue on the 1oz

11 hours ago, Bristol Lou said:

Black ones as well.