MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

452 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I've never seen them anywhere but out front

Cool! Thanks for the info, the thought crossed my mind the other day. I unfortunately don't fish out back anywhere near as much as out front so I was clueless. 

Out front NoMoco. 5-11am. Incoming tide began to produce strong swells toward midday. Dug bugs up and had a couple small stripes and a ton of sea robins. One small bluefish 14". Through a net on what I seen being chased in the wash and had a load of sand eels. Could not get a fluke to bite on anything. Other wise a fun morning with the family. 

10 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Through a net on what I seen being chased in the wash and had a load of sand eels. 

Sand eels in august ! Great sign for the fall - Bass candy !

Sand eels here now...wow...lets hope we can have a fall like we back in 2011....

I confirm the sand eels, I've been seeing them in tight on monmouth and ocean county beaches. Get the AVAs and needle fish ready for fall!!!

43 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Sand eels in august ! Great sign for the fall - Bass candy !

We've had them on the beach all summer.  Everyone's been too pre occupied with mole crabs.  

Please don't anyone here take offense to this , but honestly many of the less experienced members here can not really tell the difference between a sand eel and a spearing.

That being said , I did have a good friend who does know the difference tell me a few weeks ago that he cleaned a fluke from an Ocean County beach and it was loaded with 2 inch sand eels.

That's why so many little guys hugging the beach also. Not just the mole crabs. Try night time, it's even better depending where you are at. 

3 hours ago, Talisman13 said:

Traditional bucktailing, yes. you can attract pretty much whatever is down there and bitey, 

If you are using the Skinner method ( rapid jigging action) it seems to cull your take to fluke, sea robins and skates.( don’t know why, but stripers amd blues don’t seem to be attracted to that action.)

Pretty wild that I've never caught anything but fluke/skate/sea robin out back since I started Gulping. I don't use the skinner method. I'd imagine when traditional bucktailing for stripers you'd go a bit faster and stay off the bottom more but with the hi-lo I would expect to have caught something out back in the last couple of years aside from what I stated lol. 

17 hours ago, JuvenileTortoise said:

I also was wondering if the sandfleas are present in the bays or if they're only located out front. I hope someone can answer this for us. 

They are in the Delaware bay in Lewes and Broadkill. I'm sure tire's someplace along the Raritan that has the similar conditions. 

Saw plenty of sand eels last November but all that chase them all momth, at least for me anyway, was 12”-20” diaper Stripers 

A repeat of 2011 would be nice. 

Chicken rigged and jig headed w a teaser last wkend upper cmc. Chicken rigged outperformed my jiggin..... prob the fisher man :rav: