MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

452 posts in this topic

I talked to a guy who was just recently digging fleas at the bay in CMC. 

I didn't know they  would be there but now wonder if fleas would work drifting near sod banks etc?

Need DG to chime in is right.

2 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

I talked to a guy who was just recently digging fleas at the bay in CMC. 

I didn't know they  would be there but now wonder if fleas would work drifting near sod banks etc?

Need DG to chime in is right.

I also was wondering if the sandfleas are present in the bays or if they're only located out front. I hope someone can answer this for us. 

Back Bay in Ocean County tonight. Fishing a bridge, threw everything in the bag (artificals), had one short bass on a popper. Lots of what looked like rain fish with snappers on them. Next time I'm going to try and live line them there. 

1 hour ago, JuvenileTortoise said:

I also was wondering if the sandfleas are present in the bays or if they're only located out front. I hope someone can answer this for us. 

I've never seen them anywhere but out front

15 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I've never seen them anywhere but out front

Same. Think the wave action isn't consistent enough for them in the bay. 

Water is brown out front cmc. Tried to jig up some flounder this morning, got 1 hit but didn't get near the hook. Didn't see anything near the surface. 

It's my first post here. Thanks for all of the info and tips. Was out front in cmc yesterday evening around 7pm using a bucktail with gulp. Caught two of these guys right in the wash. Small but fun to catch. Back out tomorrow morning hopefully.

IMG_0871.jpg

Yesterday, upper monmouth co. afternoon, strong wind from so.east was sandblasting everything. waves were choppy with a heavt north current. Didn’t look like light bucktail/gulp conditions so i broke out the new ten footer and worked on my popping skills.( Tsunami x-tra disance talking popper) had one missed strike right at the beachlip. Saw lots of working birds in the distance.

1 hour ago, gregory17 said:

It's my first post here. Thanks for all of the info and tips. Was out front in cmc yesterday evening around 7pm using a bucktail with gulp. Caught two of these guys right in the wash. Small but fun to catch. Back out tomorrow morning hopefully.

IMG_0871.jpg

Congrats on the fish and your first post. You might want to consider going lighter with your setup, this time of year. Most of the fish are right on the beach, feeding on bugs. I'm using a six footer, with 14 lb mono. Lots of fun with the smaller fish around. If you hook something bigger, it's easy enough to play them in from the beach. If you hook a ray, all bets are off!

13 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Looking for albacore sightings.

Another few weeks....... can't wait. September is a good month, resident bass at night eating the mullet then at sun up go on the hunt for Albies.

2 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Congrats on the fish and your first post. You might want to consider going lighter with your setup, this time of year. Most of the fish are right on the beach, feeding on bugs. I'm using a six footer, with 14 lb mono. Lots of fun with the smaller fish around. If you hook something bigger, it's easy enough to play them in from the beach. If you hook a ray, all bets are off!

Excellent! I thought the same, especially with all the talk about bugs in the past couple of weeks. Might give something lighter a try this weekend. Will report back!

I am going to try for fluke on the beach for the first time (I tried on the bay from the beach and got one a few weeks ago). Is it possible to luck into a striper as well? I've never caught a striper while bucktailing for fluke in the bay but I see people catching both fluke/stripers out front on here all the time.

Traditional bucktailing, yes. you can attract pretty much whatever is down there and bitey, 

If you are using the Skinner method ( rapid jigging action) it seems to cull your take to fluke, sea robins and skates.( don’t know why, but stripers amd blues don’t seem to be attracted to that action.)

OC our front 

5-8am 9 fluke , biggest 18” 

started off hitting white, then turned to  chartreuse...

water clartiy was pretty good and nice troughs 

back at again this evening...