MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

452 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

Looks like a thread fin herring to me

Could be, never caught one. I think the thread would be a give-away

36 mins ago, JohnnyK said:

Could be, never caught one. I think the thread would be a give-away

It did have a super long dorsal fin like a tiny tarpon. Can't see it in the photo because my hand is in the way.

15 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

Looks like a little Hickory Shad.

If they stink to high heaven they're Hickories

On 8/8/2018 at 9:09 PM, coldclam said:

Nomoco out front from 4 till 8:30. Lots of bait around today. Rain fish and herring I believe. Got a mixed bag of small fluke,bunch of 1lb blues and two big ass rays.

20180808_200920.jpg

20180808_200917.jpg

20180808_195040.jpg

20180808_195040.jpg

20180808_184928.jpg

I’d say hickory shad, the scales get all over your hands, be nice to liveline at night under some bridge for a bass

Out front on Ocean County today, from ~4:30-8:00AM. TONS of life in the water; lots of dolphins, killies, small bluefish. A few schools of bunker being harassed by something, but even wading out as far as I could I was still landing about 30' short of them. Probably more bluefish, but I could swear I saw a thresher tail out there too.

rainfish and bay anchovies jammed to the beach by cocktail blues around high tide this morning, big pods also being beaten up further out......really fun while it lasted, reminiscent of local blitzes in the past.

35 mins ago, jeffw said:

rainfish and bay anchovies jammed to the beach by cocktail blues around high tide this morning, big pods also being beaten up further out......really fun while it lasted, reminiscent of local blitzes in the past.

Glad to hear there's blues bigger than snappers showing up.

Just now, JohnnyK said:

Glad to hear there's blues bigger than snappers showing up.

yup, about a pound and a half, grabbed 3 for the table

10 mins ago, jeffw said:

yup, about a pound and a half, grabbed 3 for the table

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks that size blue is good eating 

4 hours ago, Compulsion said:

I’d say hickory shad, the scales get all over your hands, be nice to liveline at night under some bridge for a bass

Am I the only one who's never caught anything or seen anyone else catch anything on a hickory shad?  Even brown shark's wouldn't touch them but were hammering the bunker every cast.  

Hickorys are good crab bait though.  

Just now, ChumSlickJon said:

Am I the only one who's never caught anything or seen anyone else catch anything on a hickory shad?  Even brown shark's wouldn't touch them but were hammering the bunker every cast.  

Hickorys are good crab bait though.  

I've never caught anything in NJ on live mullet :shrug: I've caught hickories but never tried using as bait or heard of anyone using either. 

On 8/9/2018 at 11:41 AM, gobigblue said:

can anyone recommend a spot in mon cty that will almost guarantee dogfish from the surf.  im off on monday and flying solo with my 6 year old, wife is working and 2 year old is being dropped off @ daycare.  anyway, he suddenly decides he wants to go "shark" fishing from the sand.  im thinking SH fishing beach, a couple sand spikes with 9/10' spinning combos, fishfinder rig, bunker chunks should get us something.  channeling my inner googan on this trip.  might even bring a bucket.

I am no expert but i feel like calming around jetties might produce.  thats where i have caught a majority of my doggies.  

Just now, crazybellringer said:

I am no expert but i feel like calming around jetties might produce.  thats where i have caught a majority of my doggies.  

The bigger ones come out at night here in the back bays. Get a lot of clams start chumming and get a nice slick going. They will find it. 

Warmest water of the year out there this morning and a flat surf to go along with it.  Lots of small bait around like everybody else is seeing with a few snappers on the chase.  Saw some bigger blues, but they stayed out of casting range.  All I could come up with was a fiesty cow nose that gave my VR50 a workout.  Let's see if the weather cooperates tomorrow in the AM.