gradywhite3535

Sharpen hooks

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

A.  Yes.

B.  You can coat the sharpened edges/points with anything from sharpie markers to nail polish.  I've given up.  (other than using black nail polish to coat the cut edges of my cut hooks.)

You can sharpen hooks that are not too Rusty. I replace badly rusted hooks. Some rinse hooks in fresh water and air dry them. Instead of maintaining hooks I replace them when they can't be sharpened really sharp. It is cost to labor question that you will solve for yourself in time. We may get different answers. If the answer works for you it is right. Best wishes. 

I keep all my plugs dry and clean in Plano boxes.

After I use some, I'll take them out of the bag, and hang them aroudn the rim of a bucket if I'm still fisihng the next day.  If I'm going to wrap it up and wont fish for a couple of days...I'll completely hose down all the plugs...let them sit in bucketful of water..then hang them again and let them air dry.  After drying, If I'm diligent, I'll sharpen hooks as they go back into the plano boxes and take a fat black sharpie and color the exposed steel edges.  It seems to work pretty well.

If there's a bit of surface rust...for me...no biggie.  I take a q-tip with some Smelly Jelly and dab some of that on anything that's rusted. It prevents further rust.  (and possibly may be a fish attractant!) You don't want to use any petroleum products on plugs obviously.

Rinsing plug/lures/hooks with fresh water after every use then paper towel drying them will prevent rust and corrosion. I've done it for years and very rarely change hooks during season and only switch them out if they get bent or I can't sharpen to a good point anymore. Even if plugs get beat up from fish or rocks the hardware stays pretty clean. It takes a few minutes especially if you use a lot of plugs each trip but worth it in my opinion. 

Here is a photo of two very old plugs which have old hooks on them. At least two or three seasons old. I use them all the time and just touch up the hooks after each trip or after catching fish

719CD860-9043-4FB4-B5BA-9D2794F709CC.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I collect all the little silica bags out of beef jerky or pill bottles.  They are used for absorbing humidity. 

I do the same thing. I even find them in dog treats we buy for our dog. Even if I didn't save them, to buy the silica packs is not expensive, particularly compared to constantly replacing rusted hooks. 

They also work great in tying materials to help prevent bug infestations, because the vermin that destroys such things also need moisture! :)

On 8/2/2018 at 8:46 AM, VanStaalSteve said:

Rinsing plug/lures/hooks with fresh water after every use then paper towel drying them will prevent rust and corrosion. I've done it for years and very rarely change hooks during season and only switch them out if they get bent or I can't sharpen to a good point anymore. Even if plugs get beat up from fish or rocks the hardware stays pretty clean. It takes a few minutes especially if you use a lot of plugs each trip but worth it in my opinion. 

Here is a photo of two very old plugs which have old hooks on them. At least two or three seasons old. I use them all the time and just touch up the hooks after each trip or after catching fish

719CD860-9043-4FB4-B5BA-9D2794F709CC.jpeg

I gotta be more vigilant like this, those hooks look great, my VMCs rust super fast it seems, and at the price I pay for them it makes sense that I should take the time to wash them and dry them instead of a half hazard spray over. These look great :)