luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - August 2018

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, castnet said:

First rule of VA Tarpon Club? Don't talk about VA Tarpon Club! :beatin: ;)

All kidding aside, that is pretty awesome you hooked up on the kayak! Congrats! :hi5: Count this guy jealous, lol! I've been wanting to do this too. I tried twice last year in the kayak, but haven't had the time so far this summer. Or the weather wasn't good for a kayak when I was eyeing possible days I could go. Although, I did get in a tarpon trip on a buddies boat earlier this summer. I see them every time I go, but getting them to eat isn't always easy...

Personally, I have known about this fishery for years now.

It is not for the inexperienced, out of shape, nor for the faint of heart.

Nor is it easy fishing.

I would imagine that if this fishery becomes "popular" so will drownings and rescues.

4 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Personally, I have known about this fishery for years now.

It is not for the inexperienced, out of shape, nor for the faint of heart.

Nor is it easy fishing.

I would imagine that if this fishery becomes "popular" so will drownings and rescues.

That's for sure, the heat alone with no wind was brutal, and honestly if you dont think and plan for the worst you'll be in a lot of trouble real quick

18 hours ago, dave sharkman said:

Castnet, that trip isn't for the average joe that's for sure, lots of ground to cover to look for them. if you dont know the area or tide extremes dont go it's only asking for trouble. Time it wrong your staying a while. If you cant tolerate the assateague bugs you'll hate the trip. (Not directed at you, but those thinking about the trip) my advice is unless you know the area dont go. I have been down a few times and know the area ok. There are guides down there that will take you out if your really serious on going but definitely dont just toss a trip together and go its asking for disaster, those currents and tides are no joke and if you get stuck your on your own. 

I've been reading about it down there for years and always wanted to go but those are the EXACT reasons I haven't.  I don't want to make the 3 hours drive down there and get stuck on flats and chewed apart by bugs.  I hooked my first tarpon back in February down in FL from an inlet, only had it on for 20 second before I got jumped.  I had 5 or 6 other good hard hits from them that morning but the hook didn't get em.

Mightttttt try n shoot down there (fly this time) for the mullet run this fall if I have the time.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, dave sharkman said:

Out recently with one long time goal, catch a tarpon on the kayak, started off the day at 2 am after a long drive was in the water by 630, had a nice 8 mile paddle to find the silver ones, water was glass no wind whatsoever. Got to the grounds around 8 am, along the way trolling lures with a few puppy drum being caught. Anyway, seen a spot that looked promising and set up, anchored the yak, and tossed a spot head on my slosh 40 and it began, fish started rolling near the grass beds. They were chasing small peanut bunker. They were darting around leaving wake behind them. Finally my rod started dumping line, tightened the drag and off to the races I went in full tow. Sleigh ride on. It rolled twice on the surface then shot under my kayak and twisted up in my anchor line. My buddy came over to help get it free I was going to just cut the anchor. He was holding the anchor line when I grabbed the leader and POP line broke as that huge tarpon splashed 2 feet in front of the kayak. As fast as it started it was over. Angry yet happy at the same time. Technically it counted cause I had the leader but no pics and not being able to hold it beside the yak was frustrating. It was around 5 ft in length. Not massive but my goal was achieved. The fish continued rolling around us for another hour or so until the tide switched so decided to paddle back. We got within 1 mile of the boat launch and the tide completely fell out. Stuck, couldn't walk the yak because the mud was so soft you sank up to your knees, so we did the only thing we could, power nap until the tide moved in enough to paddle back in... made for a very long day and drive back home but the memories will last forever. 

20180810_063147.jpg

20180810_094459.jpg

Kayak tarpon has been a goal of mine for a while. Thats awesome you got to see and fight one although it got off, still an epic day.  Getting stuck in the butt mud is a fear of mine, would have sucked at dusk when the mosquitoes come out.

Nothing fancy but after 15+ years of lazy surf casting in Rehoboth, I finally put in a few hours at IRI and caught some nice keeper croaker, undersized sea bass and some shad.  Fished surf  which is dead as I tried for 10 days straight and was skunked.  I went insane.  Insanity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result..

Edited by nedakjohn

9 hours ago, Sand Van said:

Dave, nice tarpon story...! I think I would have sunk the kayak from all the sweat...! :)

Trust me I was close lol brought 2 gallons of water with me and went through it all 3/4 of the way through the trip

I second Dave on the do not go if not prepared thing. I used to live down there, and I quite frequently saw people in a pretty nasty jam. The tidal flow in some areas is too hard to paddle against, so you need to have carefully mapped out and timed your route. I have had to go rescue a buddy of mines family member, he was a professional captain of many years that made one mistake. His boat wound up 100yrds or so from the water. It was an aluminum boat, 16’ or so, and we managed to drag it back to the water. Got home at 4 in the morning. Yay. Keep in mind all the oyster reefs to, they are sharp and painful.

Hunter, 

We just arrived in Chincoteague tonight for the week. My first time here in 30 years. Plan to get an osv permit tomorrow for the week. Curious if you have any info on what the crowd is like,   does it fill up fast? South ve North, etc. Looking to get the kids into any thing that bites, but wouldn't mind some whiting for the pan. Thanks

Edited by zimmy

I don’t know about the south osv, other than it’s very restricted on the amount of vehicles allowed. I’ve never had a problem getting on the north, but I don’t usually even try until late afternoon. There has been some spot and kingfish, mostly small. Like 6” small. Good luck! Keep an eye out for porpoises, sometimes they are pretty close in.