luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - August 2018

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

At OC with the family in a condo this week.  NOT a fishing vacation but I did bring a rod.  Spent about an hour or so with the wife on the beach last night.  A beer for me, a glass of wine for her, and a rod in a spike.  Caught a small dogfish on a little piece of fishbites on a hi-lo rig just after dark.  Life is good.....

Sunday, covered about 110 miles on the water, from inlet to Hotdog, and may be couple miles beyond that. Nothing was happening in 145-160 feet depth range...

on the way back in 65 feet of water started seeing some life...

got 2 skipjacks, 1 albacore, 4 bluefish that saved me from skunk!

still yet to get my 1st tuna!

DBS

20 hours ago, DeepBlueSea said:

Sunday, covered about 110 miles on the water, from inlet to Hotdog, and may be couple miles beyond that. Nothing was happening in 145-160 feet depth range...

on the way back in 65 feet of water started seeing some life...

got 2 skipjacks, 1 albacore, 4 bluefish that saved me from skunk!

still yet to get my 1st tuna!

DBS

save yourself on fuel and time . Troll the Jack Spot . Bites been pretty good on Mahi and  King Mackerel . We are about at that time when the Blue Fin show themselves there . Last few seasons early August was Red Hot at Jack Spot .   Good luck . 

6 hours ago, HalfNelson said:

save yourself on fuel and time . Troll the Jack Spot . Bites been pretty good on Mahi and  King Mackerel . We are about at that time when the Blue Fin show themselves there . Last few seasons early August was Red Hot at Jack Spot .   Good luck . 

Hey Joe, and size to the Mahi or Kings?  This time last year we found a decent school of upper 20s to mid 30s (inches) Kings.

7 hours ago, HalfNelson said:

hi, thanks for the tips, I am still trying to learn, way too many variables involved, well if the seas are doable for my 23 footer I could try Jack Spot this Saturday and Sunday... I am very surprised not seeing relatively big patches of sargassum around Hotdog, but only small patches, I hope it is a little better at Jack Spot....

2 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Hey Joe, and size to the Mahi or Kings?  This time last year we found a decent school of upper 20s to mid 30s (inches) Kings.

hi Bob, are you using wire leaders with Kings? and are they on the surface or at some depth?

thanks

Hank

12 hours ago, DeepBlueSea said:

hi Bob, are you using wire leaders with Kings? and are they on the surface or at some depth?

thanks

Hank

We got the kings while trolling for tuna .  They were hitting an assortment of plugs but I think we also got a couple on rigged ballyhoo.  Our baits were all close to the surface, and since the water was pretty clear the fish could have been a little below that.  If you're looking for kings and happen to catch one, then don't stray too far from where you caught it ... keep on crossing the same general area as there are likely more around.

yesterday, about 25 miles offshore Maryland, 2 kings, 4 bonitos, 1 bonita on yellow and blue metal lipped rapalas... nice weather, relatively calm sees.

DBS