The Riddler

Swell Scupper 14 Review

151 posts in this topic

Yes tankwell model, search CL in NY. If it was closer to me than the Hamptons I’d buy it as an investment. There is also one in CT for a lot less money but it has the hatch behind the seat.

11 hours ago, cheech said:

There is a 

OK scupper pro on CL out on long Is. for $400, it won’t last long!

Thanks Cheech, I found the listing and have contacted the owner. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on week long vacation tomorrow and won't be back for a week. With any luck I can arrange something.

In good shape they go as high as $5-600, if you can find one! I would like to see the bottom first, but If the seller has PayPal and agrees, you could buy it today and pick it up next week :p

Posted (edited) · Report post

The only way to go skinnier, stable and still handle heavier paddlers with gear is to go down. Taller sucks. I wish Kross was still posting here so he can fill us in on where the water line is at for his Kazkazi. I believe he said he built his foot wells up. But he only weighs 130 if I remember. So I am 70lbs more than that.  70lbs in these skinny wet SOT’s makes a big difference. 

Edited by The Riddler

The super low seat and foot wells on this Scupper Classic ‘clone’(14’1”) is what makes all the Scupper yaks so efficient. They are nice paddlers kinda like sit-ins, super comfortable and stable. That optimal position can be wet, but on moderate days with the scuppers plugged, a small sponge keeps up. With scuppers open, my 175#s, plus 10-15#s of gear will yield just over 1” of water in the foot wells. 

BB80C6C9-2A7D-4412-83C2-4A4F4ACE1C93.jpeg

On 7/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, cheech said:

There is a 

OK scupper pro on CL out on long Is. for $400, it won’t last long!

Thanks for the lead Cheech. I drove up and brought it home today. Not too many of these on the east coast.

Congrats, show us pics of your setup! I had to slice like 1.5" out of a crate and weld it back together to get one to fit that narrow tankwell. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hatch to seal.

8 hours ago, gellfex said:

Congrats, show us pics of your setup! I had to slice like 1.5" out of a crate and weld it back together to get one to fit that narrow tankwell. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hatch to seal.

Haven't had time to do any setup, but I tend to go pretty minimal. My other SP just has a rod holder and paddle clips. The main reason I bought a TW is that it would be nice to carry a soft sided cooler or crab trap and I want to be able to take my dog along when I'm not fishing. I can see that a fish finder would be handy in some situations and so would an anchor trolley, but I'm unwilling to add anything that would compromise reentry since we use them as a swimming platform in warm weather.

as for sealing the hatch, the only really effective thing you can do is go to a plastic welding shop and have the opening closed off, then put in a waterproof deck plate. My wife is lucky enough to have a TW that she ordered from the factory with no front hatch cutout. Where the hatch would be is just smooth plastic.

16 hours ago, cheech said:

There is a Scupper yak for $250 in Vt. on CL.

The 85 lbs I lost, I might be able to sit in the seat now.  If I head up North For Pike I will grab it while up there. 

Hey riddler, curious how it's going with your scupper 14? I just got mine last Friday. Some on here may remember me from kfs. I have been using a kaskazi Dorado 2 since 2011. I sold it in July and ordered a scupper 14 and picked it up last Friday. So far so good. The cg feels a bit higher then the dorado to me. I do find the scupper comfortable, stable and maybe a bit faster then the kaskazi. So been following your review and decided to join this forum as it seems a good forum. Curious if any others have a scupper 14...

Hello Welcome! Yes the old KFS! Too bad the forums were not saved! So far my opinion has not changed on this platform.  Wet ride, the new venturi scupper plugs are an improvement. I would like to raise the footwells an 1". I have yet to have this platform in following seas. 

Edited by The Riddler

Thanks for welcome, have read some of the posts, good forum. I have had the scupper 14 just a week now. So doing the rigging now, so its a work in progress. I noticed my scupper valves are not the same as your replacement set you posted about earlier this summer. So what happen to Kross? Is Odin still around?