The Riddler

Swell Scupper 14 Review

151 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got her today from the trucking company.  This will be an ongoing review. As always with my reviews here on SOL, it will be unbiased and I receive nothing, no reward.  Thanks. 

A814550F-51F7-4B73-82E9-45240A52DD67.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

I believe someone here said, “Put your money where your mouth is”...so I bought the Swell 14.  I am tired of the barges and tall seats...well here we have a performance kayak made for Fisherman right here in the United States! 

No surf today today for the  Swell 14 but a couple of 7’ rods or longer can fit on the inside if need be and a two piece rod could fit through the center hatch in the cockpit if needed but it will have to be a small reel or remove the reel into the “Scucket”

The “Scucket” In the center hatch could also be modified to take a one piece rod but a 7’ would be too long.  For now shimmying up to the front hatch would be the easiest option and doable. 

B47282E6-0DDD-4B19-9C38-4F52554BC45A.jpeg

4A0D1321-1A00-4696-A0D7-6A612CBEC78D.jpeg

FAF00513-EC74-4CB8-8B4E-A833F1F61355.jpeg

The ruddler utilizes toe tap controls. Swinging out the L or R side brackets makes an easy adjustment. There is so much leg room in the cockpit I would estimate a 38” leg inseam could still go with a rudder because of the toe tap controls.  The cable is getting kinked on the right side. Putting stress on the cable and making a noise.  I may have to break out the Dremel and make an adjustment but first things first, time to get out on the water!

C02F794D-5253-4E2D-8A7B-82CF1BD16959.jpeg

A82BB7E2-29E0-4C71-8571-A06CFF6B864B.jpeg

361FED87-443D-46E6-9DFB-3AD9BB8416C8.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Well that didn’t take long!!!!  Nice 39” to slime up tge new Swell 14!

You do not need a Hobie, pube and worm,   Electronics, or fish finder to catch fish!

E28E753A-DAEB-47FC-84F6-F115A0629A5C.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Nice color, none of this "I got camo so no one sees me in my spots" nonsense. Of course I hate you for that fish, been a crappy season here for me.

A vintage Scupper Pro came up for sale here at a nice price so I picked it up. I figure if I like it enough maybe I'll eventually spring for the Scupper 14.  This boat scaled in at 57#, have you weighed yours? A funny thing was the rectangular receptacle area in the tankwell that looks like it should be for a crate was 1.5" too narrow. I ripped a crate on the tablesaw and welded it back together.  Look forward to more reports.

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Wow great looking kayak. Nice fish. Old school with a tube n worm. Did you use  the lead core line too?  Congrats.

2 hours ago, YakDawg said:

Very interested in your review it looks like a sweet boat.  A tad heavy but what plastic isn't.  Lots of luck with it.  

It’s lighter than the Revo coming back up the hill from the beach! 

11F6F48A-2FCF-4FBD-AB09-BB35FB1688DC.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Nice fish! And the yak didn’t sink! Tried my brothers sink a few weeks back, I stayed upright for about a minute...lol...of course he said I was way over its weight limit. I way 70 lbs more than he does, damn little 22”x14’ kevlar death trap it was...

Looking forward to this review towards something streamlined and lighter

4 hours ago, YakDawg said:

A tad heavy but what plastic isn't.  

Actually, quite a few. I can't figure out why that kayak is so heavy. Other than that, looks sweet.  Best of luck with it!

Nice fish and sleek kayak. The color is pretty sweet too. Interested to see if the foot rudder cables will have issues.

I think it's safe to say that "you" can catch that fish from any platform, including a floating barge. The rest of us have to rely on our pedal drives, fishfinders, and the tubes :) 

PS: You too were a T&W guy once. I remember reading an old post/article somewhere...