lisurfer49

Considering a 3 day back country trip.

9 posts in this topic

I’m thinking about a quick 3 day back country trip somewhere Labor Day weekend. I’d fly in Thursday night hike/fish/camp fri-mon and fly back Monday night. Would love to get back to Idaho, and thinking Montana/Wyoming/Colorado are strong possibilities as well. Obviously proximity to an airport is important and will need to arrange drop off/pick up. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Not really sure if by drop off/pickup you mean you don’t want to rent a car, which I think could make things a little challenging.

anyway, two ideas come to mind - one I’ve done, one I’d really like to do.

I just did a 3 night loop in the Flattops Wilderness in Colorado. It was with my sons so I kept the mileage down which left plenty of time to enjoy the camp spots. Camped each night at a different alpine lake. All are home to native cutthroats including at least one monster that I saw cruise by 3 ft off the shore as I was filtering water. Added bonus, the trailhead is at Trappers Lake, home to the most genetically pure Colorado cutthroat population (and thus the source of Colorado’s cutthroat stockers). Trailhead is probably around 4+ hours from Denver - about half on I70, then progressively smaller roads. If interested I can give you a more detailed itinerary.

Second, a trip I would love to do is hike into the S Fork Flathead R in the Bob Marshall wilderness. Supposedly great fishing including potential for large bull trout. Heavy density of grizzlies. Could fly into Kalispell. Trailhead maybe a couple hours from the airport. I think you could put together a great 3 day loop in there.

St Joe in Idaho might fit the bill.

Hike upstream on the trail from the campground. Not sure how or if dispersed camping is allowed up there, but a quick call to the forest hq would let you now.

Easy drive from Spokane and some great cutthroat fishing.

Labor Day will likely be pretty busy most places.

SF

St Joe in Idaho might fit the bill.

Hike upstream on the trail from the campground. Not sure how or if dispersed camping is allowed up there, but a quick call to the forest hq would let you now.

Easy drive from Spokane and some great cutthroat fishing.

Labor Day will likely be pretty busy most places.

SF

Thanks guys. Sorry for delayed response. Will look into these options. Don’t want to rent a car, figured I’d see if I can arrange a pick up/drop off through a shop/guide/maybe taxi. I have to think there are options that backpackers use. 

If it was me, I’d put the money towards three day float on the Delaware. Cutting out plane tickets could let you book 2 or three float trips. Plenty of camping in the area too