crowconor

Some flies I tied

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The flies look good! 

I gotta share. Not sure if you know about Tim Flagler and tightlinevideo, but it's amazing. Everything about it - the flies he chooses, the tying, the tips / tricks he shares, the filming, the music, the pace. The videos are literally perfect. I have no personal connection to the guy.....just some serious Jersey pride.

His videos have helped my tying tremendously. 

Edited by Joe Mairo
We don't promote social media channels here - feel free to embed a specific video here but please don't link to channels - thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/30/2018 at 6:25 AM, bonefishdick said:

Concentrate on proportions and you will be off on and running.

I started tying for freshwater. At a time when most of the dries in the boxes were classic Catskill patterns. To get those to both fish perfect, and look perfect, is both precise and artful. But, in my experience, if somebody has a decent teacher, and good materials to start, they can tie very fishable, and decent-looking flies pretty fast.

once somebody knows the basic mechanical techniques in tying, I think proportion becomes more important than anything else. (like, something all the top tiers of classic Catskill dries share is wicked acceptable proportions and tolerances for bodies, wings, hackles and tails).

Edited by patchyfog

I’m of the tie simple patterns until you really get them right, and only then move on. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is to take your newly tied fly out to some water and observe how it behaves as you work it along as though you were fishing, you’ll learn a lot doing this. The suggestion to watch Tim Flagler’s videos is excellent, I’ve been tying for about fifty years and he still teaches me tricks and techniques I didn’t know.

JC

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I love the tightline videos. I think I have watched every single one of them. I am going to keep practicing clousers and some deciever patterns. 

On 7/29/2018 at 7:34 PM, crowconor said:

I figured I would post a picture of some of the flies I tied up. I am new to salt water fly fishing and new to fly tying, so I would love some feedback if anyone has some. 

image1 (1).jpeg

They look pretty good especially for first ties. When you get these OTW check to see if they track well and how the swim. Hooks can be too heavy for a tie, or too light. Materials can be off-axis or uneven leading to a tilt, too waterloggy, etc. 

Over time goals to aim for are not using too much thread on the noses unless you want that, and it can look nice on some ties as like those EP Fiber peanuts in middle. Choosing the right hooks for your purpose. Also not using more material than you need or want. 

Nice work!

On 7/29/2018 at 7:57 PM, DAQ said:

They all look good and will catch. The colors on your Clouser's are inverted though. Typically I want white for the bottom color on Clouser's.

Good point DAQ!

On 7/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, jabster said:

I would personally stay off the flatwing until you get your fundamentals right.

Great comment in full jabster but I would say, for this tier, who is interested in trying many styles, diving in with flatwings can't hurt, as long as he doesn't get bogged down in finding the right materials. Try trying feathers flat for a while will build fundamentals. The hardest part of the flatwing is getting those saddle hackles in the right colors and lengths. But if you don't worry about being "right" on that score, I say dive in. 

On 8/4/2018 at 4:23 PM, JonC said:

I’m of the tie simple patterns until you really get them right, and only then move on. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is to take your newly tied fly out to some water and observe how it behaves as you work it along as though you were fishing, you’ll learn a lot doing this. The suggestion to watch Tim Flagler’s videos is excellent, I’ve been tying for about fifty years and he still teaches me tricks and techniques I didn’t know.

JC

Sort of too late for that JonC. Our new tier here is a polystyle omnivore and wants to try everything. I say keep going in that direction and try it all. Most importantly, have fun! As to therest of your comment about water-testing and observation, I second your sagacious suggestion. 

For the salt you can also try doing some EP style baitfish.... I use Congo Hair from FTD which is like super cheap vs, EP. 

Pretty easy use to do a few, except to make sure you don't use too much, which of course everyone does when they start.

You Tube has a million videos on tying ... Craig Smothers & Jesse Males have some good ones.

Ill try some EP style baitfish flies as well. I have some congo hair from FTD, they have a 40% off sale going on now so I grabbed a bunch of it. 

Google up murdoch minnow, its easy as hell to tie, super effective on all sorts of stuff, and you can sub out the fancy Alaskan Malamute sled dog fur for something simpler/cheaper.  Hope this isnt a double post if it is forgive my laziness.

I worked on my proportions for my baitfish imitations and I think look a little better. I enjoy tying multiple different styles so I usually tie a bunch of styles. The murdich minnow looks cool, I'll give that a try, thanks for the suggestion

image1 (2).jpeg

This is all subjective of course; to my eye these are a huge improvement.  The bottom right fly has the appropriate density of material.  The upper right has too much material...  reduce it by ~ 50%.   Again, only my feelings.  What  I  experienced when I overdressed these flys is that they knot up after a fish or two.  They can be combed out if they aren't too dense.   You want to see some of that bar code through the belly of the baitfish.  Tight wraps.

np, those EP fiber flies you tied look great,  put some hard as nails or something on those thread wraps to toughen them up, or a loon clear finish.  The murdich is great on smallmouth, pike, largemouth, you can also vary the coloration to fit also make sure to use cactus large, the pattern is so effective because the eyes, and cactus up front push alot of water causing the fly to dart left right when quickly stripped, then drop like a dying baitfish.