secampb1

night fishing

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, The Fisherman said:

TLB,

I find the nights rare that I can't see anything at all, even on the dark of the moon. The east coast is notoriously well-lit at night, and that light pollution travels for miles. Also, your eyes get accustomed to the dark. Especially on a moonless, cloudless night, the ambient starlight is quite illuminating.

For me, line management at night is a lot like casting at night: I do much of it by feel. (You could go all Obi-Wan here and say "Your eyes can deceive you.") With something like the greased line swing, I do much of it from muscle memory. It's kind of like sports: NHL teams practice breakouts without any opposition, and MLB batters take BP before a game -- repetition, confidence, repetition, confidence. If the water is calm enough, you can track your line as it lands on the water, much like you might be looking for rise rings in the dark.

What's more, if you channel your inner ninja, you can get really close to actively feeding bass at night. Earlier this week I waded to within 20 feet of a 10-pound fish. That's an easy cast in the dark.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

I am almost always stripping or on a tight line swing so line control and detecting strikes is pretty simple.  I do dead drift with glow in the dark floats recently and its killer

Steve's comments are spot on.  If there is good ambient light from moon or artificial lightI can see you fish waking or feeding and cast to those visual targets.  On dark night I am often casting to the sound of fish feeding and do so with my eyes shut as it helps me zero in on where I hear the feeding sounds.  It took a year but at this point on my 9' 9wt that is my go to striper rod I can stalk to within 20-30' by sound and make cast to feeding noise as accurately as I can to a sight fishing bass during daylight.

Fisherman & TGS

Thanks for the responses. I guess like most things it takes practice and positive experiences. 

Any other thoughts are welcomed. 

Very kind, TGS, and to your point, yes, audio cues are very important.

I forgot to mention this. If you're having trouble figuring a drift, current, or presentation at night, visit the spot during the day at the same tide you'll be fishing at night. Practice what you want to achieve, nail it, then try it with your eyes closed, nail it, then come back at night and hold on tight. :-)

Steve Culton

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/08/2018 at 9:53 PM, Orca said:

I have always wanted to try night fishing but I've had anxiety about the dark since I was a kid. Someday !

CLB

If your hearing  is normal then yes you can hear Bass popping and feeding at night. You can also spot and smell bait slicks.

In a surf. Well that depends on how noisy the surf is and how far way the Bass are and how many are feeding close enough to the surface to make a noise.

It might not happen every night but that does not mean the Bass are not there and feeding.

Very very few Guys fish  at night and right now I am too tired to go into the reasons why I think that is the case . But it’s a fact.

You love it or hate it. There is little room for grey.

No prizes for guessing which camp I live in.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

4 hours ago, CLB said:

You guys really are hearing them feeding?! That can’t be on the beach in surf can it?

Oof - I have a long way to go!

They dont always break surface but in a lot of spots I fish in surf they do because when a big fish feeds in 18" of water on bar it makes noise.  I quieter places like saltmarshes, flats, or bays I can hear it quite a long way off is the wind is favorable.  I often just walk off the marsh edge on trails until I hear fish feeding.  Then I bust into the marsh to find the feeding fish.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

On 8/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Green  Crab dropper is a recent discovery that has picked up some nice bass for me at night.  

Cool good idea. 

22 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I am almost always stripping or on a tight line swing so line control and detecting strikes is pretty simple.  I do dead drift with glow in the dark floats recently and its killer

Another great idea! Cool. 

On 8/17/2018 at 5:14 AM, RedGreen said:

What about long saddle hackles? They don't give a real 3-D profile like the dragon tail does but they'll cast a hell of a lot better I'd imagine.

Good call RedGre. Interesting to hear dragon tail has water absorption issues because I had impression it was magically not that bad, but of course makes that it would be an issue. 

Has anyone had unsettling encounters with seals while fishing at night?  In the back of my mind I have an irrational (I hope) fear that I’m going to be charged by a seal.  Keeps the heart pumping I guess....

4 hours ago, Noonan said:

Has anyone had unsettling encounters with seals while fishing at night?  In the back of my mind I have an irrational (I hope) fear that I’m going to be charged by a seal.  Keeps the heart pumping I guess....

They make loud breathing noises and groan/grunting sounds.  First time I heard it I was like "what the hell is out there and it sounds pretty big whatever it is".  Other than hearing them no issues.  If I know seals are around I will never wade deeper than bottom of my knee.  Dont want a shark making a mistake.

Last time out I smelled a smell that I guessed to be a seal(s).  That got my mind going, and things usually go downhill from there....  haha.

Agreed, I don’t wade above my knee.  Seems like I see more seals with every trip on my home waters.

On 7/29/2018 at 0:25 PM, RedGreen said:

It is a wonderfully immersive and personal experience to be on the water without the sun. The surf is even more so. 

I think contact with the night is important to humans as a species...including in evolutionary terms.

I'd say that night fishing anywhere is special salt or fresh. For that matter, sometimes the best part of a long day of solo deer hunting for me was a mile-long walk out the woods in the dark. Preferably with a little snow, but not no foot of heavy stuff either. And preferably for the place to have a vibe about it. Spooky vibes are acceptable and to be expected. Then you find out such experiences can be very productive. I'm thinking you might know what I mean.

I've got a few good stories on that front, but I think they all too long...

Edited by patchyfog