rxx2

Eating surfperch

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

It's possible to determine the gender of of surf perch by examining their anal fin. The female will have a continuous fin, while the male will have a prominent notch in the fin. I would recommend harvesting males, and releasing females as this is best way to maintain the adequate breeding populations. As previously mentioned, in late winter early spring, females will also develop a pronounced belly as they prepare for their live birth. This site has some great pics showing the fin difference between male and female. 

i removed the link and added the pictures as we do not allow links to other fishing sites here.  Thanks - Surf Hunter

femaleperch.jpg

maleperch.jpg

Edited by Surf Hunter
Removed link to other fishing site

Sexing Perch, thanks for the tip/lesson Fishjerk! Now back to the eating...

Hard to beat a perch fryed! or anything for that matter. Used some Louisianan Fish Fry breading with some Tajin mex spice, garlic salt, & fresh ground pepper mixed in for more flavor. My son caught these perch (see catch anything thread pg 252.) and I filleted them up, removed the pin bones, soaked in salt water brine for 1 hr, rinse pat dry then dipped in beaten egg with couple of douses of Worcestershire sauce added and lemon juice, then powder coated in the fry mix and into the vegetable oil a bubbling. 

0808181828 (3).jpg

Here's a quote from Uncle Stu I stumbled upon. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it.

"we eat a ton of BSP around here, and we hate to pick thru the bones--my wife had one stuck in her throat and went to emergency--so I filet ALL bones out. 

we never fry surf perch in the pan, way too soft for that. we have two favorite recipes: breaded in the oven like fish sticks, and fried fish cakes. 

1. filet meat from the skin and backbone. find the line of pin bones with your finger, and slice it out so you now have 4 pieces from one fish.

**soak these overnight in lightly salted water, it firms them nicely.

2. preheat oven to 425

3. dry and dip each piece in Italian salad dressing, then roll in seasoned bread crumbs. we use half almond meal and half corn meal. 

4. bake in a cast iron pan for about 20 min or starting to brown around the edges.

serve with lemons and tartar sauce.

also good as fried fish patties."

59 mins ago, thebayway said:

also good as fried fish patties."

I will throw in that we also will make fish cakes out of them. We quickly steam the boneless fillets in 1/2-1 cup water, 1/4 cup white white (Sauv Blanc comes to mind) and 4-5 lemons halved & squeezed and then dropped into the pot with the water & wine. Bring the water to a boil first, then place a steamer basket with raw fish fillets into the steaming pot. Steam 1-3 minutes until meat flakes through thickest fillets. remove steamer basket and let cool to room temp, then into fridge for 1-2 hours until cold. Then take whatever crab cake recipe you like (usually involves Eggs, Breadcrumbs & Mayo as base) add whatever spices and herbs you like (I like green onions, diced carrots & celery, lemon pepper, garlic salt & some tabasco dashes for heat.  make up your fish cake mixture, form patties with the mix, one last coat of egg & bread crumbs and into a Sautee pan with Oil or Butter heated (you could also Bake or Broil them). Cook until golden brown and enjoy.

If you love perch and you come home empty handed. Just stop by your local grocery and pick up a box on instant mashed potatoes and a quart of  Huong Vi Viet fish sauce then substitute the fish sauce for the water and enjoy 

On 8/10/2018 at 8:36 AM, moocks said:

If you love perch and you come home empty handed. Just stop by your local grocery and pick up a box on instant mashed potatoes and a quart of  Huong Vi Viet fish sauce then substitute the fish sauce for the water and enjoy 

Lol

On 8/10/2018 at 11:36 AM, moocks said:

This is hilarious...quote made my day

8 hours ago, Fishscales13 said:

This is hilarious...quote made my day

Vegetarian - Indian word for piss poor fisherman...& hunter!  Meat in paw, love from a Squaw, no meat in hand, go pound sand.

Deep fried whole!  (Well... after gutting)

It isn't all that hard to peel the flesh away from the bones once fried, and it is a heck of a lot lest work.  It even makes it worthwhile to cook the smaller ones that took the hook whole!

Regarding mushy Perch, i'll pass on, what a random guy in a parking lot told me, and it works! 

DO NOT OVERCOOK IT. 

Use a high quality thermomenter like an instant-read Thermapen. It's worth every penny 100x over. 

Fish only needs to get to 145° and if you remove a Perch at that temp, IT IS FIRM! 

Pan frying is messy and cooks rather inaccurately...

I BBQ it, first making slices an inch apart in the rough pattern drawn on the picture. Slice just into the meat and rub coarse salt into all cuts. Let it sit a bit...and while the charcoal is lighting up, squeeze lemons liberally over the Perch. Cook to 145° only. 

BAM! 

If all cuts i drew connect, then skin and meat flake off the bones in perfect bite size morsels. 

SO GOOD AND FIRM! 

20191010_195249.png

Good keeper size is 12” +. They’re edible, not the greatest in my opinion. Smaller ones not worth the work. Bigger ones got some meat on em, kinda bony tho. Fried whole or food processed fillets into fish cakes (the best, but kinda time consuming) is how I prepare em.

We ususally gut em, rinse really well, put some slices in them, salt and fry the piss out of them. Over frying them dries the meat out a bit but the firmer meat works better for how we eat them. We also leave the scales on as it turns the skin into perch potatoe chips. This bad girl was over 3 pounds (post spawn) thus too big for the pan. So I grilled it up and was very very delicate meat.

1565743635783.jpg