bajanfish

Help needed finding heat shrink tubing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Guys i'm looking for 2 types of shrink tubing. 1. The neoprene type used on St. Croix's legend surf and 2. more of an EVA type used on Century, ODM rods. At least that is how these companies describe them. I'm redoing two rods and wanted to try these out. 

In previous threads some suggested Quick Grip as what St. Croix uses. I found a CRB QG on mudhole's site. Is that the same thing? I also found a  smooth heat shrink on RH composites but i'm not sure what that is either or how durable it is. Has anyone used this product? If someone can please point me in the right directions I'd really appreciate it. Searching for shrink tubing online is far more complicated than I imagined it would be...

Thanks in advance!

Call Batson/Rainshadow.    Or look at the web site.

You need the Batson and the Alps catalogs anyway, get both from Batson.

I have it tough, Batson/Rainshadow, Pac Bay and Utmost are all 10 miles from me.  

There are three types of Heat Shrink Tubing - Japanese Shrink Rubber, Polyolefin Plastic or Neoprene Rubber:

1. Japanese Heat Shrink, which is what Century UK uses and sells, but only in diameters that meet their Rod Blank/Finished rod offerings, so they have 3 diameters described as below under sea fishing accessories (letters indicate rod model numbers). This tubing is my favorite, and I have been able to successfully use it on non-century rods, as well as Century Stealth and Slingshots. : 

Japanese Shrink Rubber 1.6m long for use on Century beach rods. Can be used for the main butt handle and also used near joint of butt and tip sections to aid grip when separating. The width below indicates the guideline size once heat shrunk onto blank.

Size 22 - TTLD, TTUL
    Size 25 - TTS, TTSM, TTM, CM, CME, C3LD, Excal J
    Size 28, - TTR, CM BB, WR300, KSS, KS, Excal C, Excal TT 

2. Another UK source for Japanese Shrink wrap is Rods and Rings - they offer diameters of 20, 25 and 30mm, but it is unclear from their site if this is pre or post heat.

3. The heat shrink commonly available in the US either Polyolefin Plastic or Neoprene rubber.  The only source I know of is McMaster-Carr.  The things to watch out for, if you want to put this directly on the blank are:

• Should not be adhesive lined (sometimes called Moisture Sealed) as the high residual temperature, and it length cool-down time  of the adhesive may damage the epoxy resin of the blank
  • Should have a shrink ratio of at least 3:1, preferably 4:1 less than that and the tube wall is too thin to protect the blank from scratches.  Should scratches occur, you want them to only  mar the surface of the tubing, not tear thru it. If the seller advertises it as a repair for your existing cork or Eva Grips, I have found it to be too thin to protect the bare blank.

Final Note: The best tubing is the most expensive - the best I have seen is "Extra-Thick High-Shrink-Ratio Tubing (polyolefin plastic), from McMaster-Carr, but it is very expensive.

There are plenty of polyolefin heat shrinks in the US. You just have to look in the right place and buy in bulk. Mine is 1-1/2 inch 3:1 ratio. I got a 50 meter spool for $150 ( 164 ft ). It's tough as nail, comparable to the original quick grip material. I would put it up against any Japanese or UK grips in term of toughness. You'll sacrifice some comfort with polyolefin grip in comparison to a more flexible higher end gripping material.  I wouldn't use directly on glass blank. That's a pretty much a given on heat shrink grips.

I wouldn't touch that x-wrap crap, a simple small cut and you could peel the whole section off without much effort.

+1 on Polyolefin affording much better blank protection than Japanese Shrink Rubber, which I only use on my UK LC rods - these are not carried on my roof rack, but rather in my interior rack, and there are several reasons why I wanted the superior grip of the shrink rubber:

1. Thick walled Century CM, and all Zziplex Blanks are known to bind at the spigot (which is a thick walled internal tube-like ferrule) and having a length of shrink tube on both sides of the spigot proves invaluable in twisting the 2 halves apart in hot weather.
  2. Lock-out loading of these rods during an OTG or Pendulum cast is a lot safer with a solid grip - Polyolefin, which is smooth, gets slippery when wet, and with the nerve damage in my right  hand, it is hard to grip the rod when casting low reel (with my left hand on the reel).  

One reason why I stopped searching past McMaster-Carr is that they do sell a number of their shrink tubes in lengths that are not bulk - I do not have too many rods of the same ID, and I no longer do rod wrapping for others, so bulk spools would likely be around past my lifetime.

The only Glass rod I shrink wrapped directly onto the blank is a Fenwick SU1348.  I actually ended up doing so twice, since during the first transport to the beach, with taped on guides and plate reel seat, I did not realize the blank was a little too tight in the roof rack tube and the tube securing bolt heads damaged the wrap.  However, the heat application during shrink wrapping on this blank (which is admittedly thick walled by todays standards), has not damaged the blank, from what I can tell.

I was thinking of replacing the X-wrap over cork tape handle on my Lami S-Glass SSB1362M with direct to blank Polyolefin shrink wrap.  Now I'm think the heat will perhaps damage the thin wall blank?

The gripping part of polyolefin wraps can be improve vastly by a simple sanding procedure. I am not sure if other rod builders had done it before. After you have the shrink wrap in place. Ran a rough sand paper through the whole wrap a couple of times. horizontally, and diagonally. The goal is take off that sheen on the top layer, mean while create micro texture finish. Go Flock Youself trademark pending lol?  Try the gripping power when you are done, wet or dry. You can feel the cork tape deform and tear underneath if you grip and twist hard enough, way more than normal fishing situation called for.

Been using this for a long time tough as nails, over cork tape or right over the blank.

And like hobobob l run a rough sand paper through the whole wrap a couple of times. horizontally, and diagonally if you want some texture if thats what you want..

DSC04641.JPG

A lot of good information being shared here, I want to thank you guys for that! 

In searching for an ergonomic reel seat in larger sizes I stumbled upon a site that carries both the previously suggested Batson brand shrink tube and the much talked about Quick Grip. 

The company is called Versitex. I placed an order for the Batson shrink tube so we'll see how that goes. That Quick Grip is a tad pricey. Maybe a little later I'll try it out.