Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ssmd

Rodanthe in August.. Should I Bring a Kayak?

14 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'll be in Rodanthe in Mid August. There looks to be a local city boat ramp that I could launch from down the street from where I will be staying. Can anyone tell me if it will be worth my time to bring my sit-in kayak and fish the surrounding area on the sound side? I assume my best bet would be early morning or evening. Any tips or recommendation for that area would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will be honest, I have never been in a yak. ...but I have fished the OBX for years, and, thanks to 'life' most of that time has been during the months of August and September.

no, these are not ideal times, but there are fish to be caught. the key is finding them and if the yak will give you the ability to target more areas (i 100% believe that it will) then I say bring it.

on the sound side is would bring some small metal, buck tails and my favorite, a regular old gulp tipped jig head. there are also drum to be caught, but they are on the classic OBX drum rig that will be difficult to fish from a kayak

tight lines my friend.  ill be staying in the Salvo area for the first week of August, but will be fishing anywhere from in front of our house in Salvo to 43 and in the sound between 23 and 30. if you see a guy on the beach with WAAAAYYY too much gear and a smile on his face, that's me.

-Sean

I was 50/50 on taking mine to Avon this past year.  Fishing wise, I wish that I had it, but the winds that we got, probably only could have used it 2-3 days.  I'm not much of a fan trying to kayak in 20+mph winds.  It is hard enough to just fish, yet control a kayak and fish.  Only having a few lower wind days, ended up being days that I was on the beach with the family and attempted to fish in 5' waves...  I also have a 10-11 hour commute (would be 9 without stopping, but have kids).  Those things are sails on your car, and will put you in the other lane if not paying attention when the winds are gusting.  They also drops your fuel mileage by a few mpg too.  For that, I am glad that I didn't take.  Under normal weather, I would have loved to have it there.  I was limited to a few pretty good spots.  With a kayak, I would have had 100 times the spots to check out.  Granted, this is about 15 miles south of where you are, but can't imagine it being too much different.  You can rent kayaks there, which was my plan (also planned to drive on the beach and hit the pier, but weather had me doing neither).  If renting for a full week and plan to fish from it most times you fish, bringing your own would definitely be the way to go, financially and convenience wise.  If you have plans to fish the ocean 2-3 days, hit the pier a day or two, and only looking to fish the sound 1-2 days, then renting a kayak for 2 days would end up being about what you would pay for the mpg difference.  That was my thought process at least.  If you are renting sound front or sound access, strap that thing to your roof now!!!  Hope you get good weather and good fishing.

BTW - check out Google Earth or other satellite views for potential spots.  Look for the deeper water near shallower water with grass.  At least that is what I have gathered, I am pretty much a novice at the sound side fishing, but have done a ton of research.  The spot that I fished mostly when there, was exactly that, and did okay.  Sound access wading, with those characteristics will be limited, unless you don't mind wading out 100 yards.  You might get lucky with some of the good guys on this site, or Hatteras Jack, ect. with other specific spots.  With a kayak, looking at the satellite image, you should be able to find about 100 spots within a 1/4 mile paddle from the public boat launch in Waves.  Might have some other spots to launch too.  I did okay, per the conditions, mostly with bait that I netted.  If you are netting bait, good luck with the 6"+ mullets...  I figured out half way through my vacation, those are the ones to toss in the cooler for cut bait, unless you don't mind waiting for hours without a bite.  If you can get the 3" or smaller (which usually just got through the netting), they seemed to get bit much faster, but likely much smaller fish.  I got a nice flounder on a mullet, about 4" or so mullet, which was by far the fish of my trip.  Shrimp in the sound will get munched about 30 seconds after it hits the water, but 90% will be small fish.  Which are fun too.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tips everyone! I completely here you about having way to much gear. I feel every year I end up bringing too much crap. I'm trying my best to keep it simple this year which is why I was debating on bringing the yak. 

I've stayed in a sound side house right in kitty hawk bay before. I brought the kayak that year with no luck. Kitty hawk bay was really flat and shallow really far out. I've had much better luck just fishing off the bridges in the fall. I've been coming for the past few years but we always stay in a different areas so I'm still learning.  

I have an app that has the charts for that area so i'll try to focus on the shallow to deep water drop offs where there is grass as mention above. I'll probably focus on using finger mullet, gulp/Jig combo and try out a popping cork. I've never used popping corks before but I hear they work well. 

Tight lines 

Al 

Edited by ssmd

I would recommend taking the yak. The "boat ramp" at the "harbor" behind the community center is just a dirt path beside the emergency ferry service, but is ideal for putting in the yak. from the harbor there is a somewhat deep water channel for the ferry which can produce when the shallower water does not. And, if the ocean side is calm you can go out to some deeper water. Also, you can take the yak up to the Oregon inlet and put in there and fish numerous places. my 2 cents.

Like was said, definitely STOP at HATTERAS JACKS!!!. They will help you with where and when to fish. If you have no fear of going night fishing, it can be extremely productive Best of luck to ya and don't forget to keep us posted:hooked:

4 mins ago, bstriping said:

If you have no fear of going night fishing,

That's because you're a night owl.... I think where you're planning on going will very productive.. watch out for the kite boarders though

On 8/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, DaBig2na said:

That's because you're a night owl.... I think where you're planning on going will very productive.. watch out for the kite boarders though

Ha! :laugh: As long as I can get this neck straightened out it's game on. Even if it's still bothering me, will still do the night thing. since it takes so little effort fishing back there at night.

Posted (edited)

Quick update on my trip last week. Winds early in the week made the sound too rough to kayak fish my for my sit in kayak. I decided to drive a bit north and launch at a ramp just south of the Pea Island Refuge. I figure I could tuck in behind the islands there for some wind protection. Fishing was slow with only a little trout caught on a popping cork and some pinfish on shrimp. Did an inshore charter out of hattaras and got into a few spanish mackerels and blues but overall slow weather was great though not a big fan of trolling rods. Later that day drove out in the ORV ramp south of town and found some cleaner water and got into a nice school of Spanish Mackerels and Bluefish right in the breakers. Mackerels on a spoon and bluefish on shrimp/cut mullet roughly 1-2 hours before the high tide. It was a great bite. I also fished the Bonner bridge twice with nothing to mention. I've been trying for sheepshead here last few trips with no luck, any tips on which piling to fish would be appreciated HAHA PM Me!  Overall great trip as the weather held out and mostly rained at night or early morning. Hopefully next year I'll be in a new more capable kayak so I can explore more of the area. 

Edited by ssmd
edits

happy to hear that you got yourself on a good bite.  sometimes that's all it takes to make a trip a success.

ive never targeted sheepshead so I will differ to others there.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, ssmd said:

Quick update on my trip last week. Winds early in the week made the sound too rough to kayak fish my for my sit in kayak. I decided to drive a bit north and launch at a ramp just south of the Pea Island Refuge. I figure I could tuck in behind the islands there for some wind protection. Fishing was slow with only a little trout caught on a popping cork and some pinfish on shrimp. Did an inshore charter out of hattaras and got into a few spanish mackerels and blues but overall slow weather was great though not a big fan of trolling rods. Later that day drove out in the ORV ramp south of town and found some cleaner water and got into a nice school of Spanish Mackerels and Bluefish right in the breakers. Mackerels on a spoon and bluefish on shrimp/cut mullet roughly 1-2 hours before the high tide. It was a great bite. I also fished the Bonner bridge twice with nothing to mention. I've been trying for sheepshead here last few trips with no luck, any tips on which piling to fish would be appreciated HAHA PM Me!  Overall great trip as the weather held out and mostly rained at night or early morning. Hopefully next year I'll be in a new more capable kayak so I can explore more of the area. 

I love fishing the CBBT pilings for sheephead. I fish with a bobber and a bobber stop from 5-15ft. Fresh chowder clam is my bait of choice wrapped on the hook with sticky thread. I hate braid, but it is a must for sheephead. Once they take the bait they will surely wrap around a piling and the barnacles will slice mono like butter. As for the catwalk on Bonner Bridge, slack tide would be best IMO. I've fished the catwalk a few times and it surely produces, but it's too confining of an area for my taste.

7 hours ago, pilotman said:

I've fished the catwalk a few times and it surely produces, but it's too confining of an area for my taste.

Once the new OI bridge is done, the old one will be taken down except for 1000 feet on the south end.  That will be converted to a fishing pier, so should be plenty of room.