drumfish213

Kill Devil Hills first two weeks August

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

There is actually a Duck Donuts about 5-10 minutes from my house! I didn't realize they started down there. 

They are spreading quick...

odd fact... They started down there, but the founders are both from Delco PA, and their company headquarters is in PA...

Good donuts for sure. Now I want some....

I like Coquina Beach to surf fish, nice bathhouse in case your FIL needs it.  Have an evening meal at The Bluewater Grill and see what the charter boats are bringing in to Pirates Cove Marina.  I like having lunch at Darrell’s in Manteo - basic and good.  OH

On 7/28/2018 at 5:18 PM, Old Hunter said:

I like Coquina Beach to surf fish, nice bathhouse in case your FIL needs it.  Have an evening meal at The Bluewater Grill and see what the charter boats are bringing in to Pirates Cove Marina.  I like having lunch at Darrell’s in Manteo - basic and good.  OH

Thanks, funny you wrote FIL, that is what I call him (pronounced Phil, ha)

Update: still no action, but now the in laws are here so we have another car, meaning hopefully I will get out more and can fish better areas. So far I have been limited to the sound near where we are staying. I took out the paddle board yesterday and saw some fish that I believe were mullet based on help from DaBig2na but nothing else exciting. 

Finally got into some fish this morning. Surf fishing, saw a bunch of bunker as soon as I came over the dune. Snagged a few trying to see if there was anything under them hitting them. Coolest part was my 2 year old daughter got to help me reel one in. There was a lot of bait but not much on them. Went for a swim and saw some small fish in the wash. Tried fishbites on a small hook and ended up with a few kingfish (sea mullet) and I think a small pompano. In the afternoon went out to Jennette's pier and met up with DaBig2na who was nice enough to show me the ropes. Watched some big fish get caught off the end which was very cool to see. Ended up catching a few spot but nothing else. All in all a great day!

On 8/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, drumfish213 said:

went out to Jennette's pier and met up with DaBig2na who was nice enough to show me the ropes. Watched some big fish get caught off the end which was very cool to see

Certainly good to have you out... it was pretty intense at times trying to snag fatbacks for bait and everything else that was going on.. today we had non stop bluefish in the afternoon and pods of fatbacks all around the pier.. one Cobia caught and one lost...... I forgot to ask you if you'd seen any Cobia swimming around over where you were and if you got any shots on them with your bucktail rod?

On 8/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, drumfish213 said:

Finally got into some fish this morning. Surf fishing, saw a bunch of bunker as soon as I came over the dune. Snagged a few trying to see if there was anything under them hitting them. Coolest part was my 2 year old daughter got to help me reel one in. There was a lot of bait but not much on them. Went for a swim and saw some small fish in the wash. Tried fishbites on a small hook and ended up with a few kingfish (sea mullet) and I think a small pompano. In the afternoon went out to Jennette's pier and met up with DaBig2na who was nice enough to show me the ropes. Watched some big fish get caught off the end which was very cool to see. Ended up catching a few spot but nothing else. All in all a great day!

cool deal!  

7 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Certainly good to have you out... it was pretty intense at times trying to snag fatbacks for bait and everything else that was going on.. today we had non stop bluefish in the afternoon and pods of fatbacks all around the pier.. one Cobia caught and one lost...... I forgot to ask you if you'd seen any Cobia swimming around over where you were and if you got any shots on them with your bucktail rod?

I think I saw two swimming together but by the time I realized what they were was they were gone.