Vise help

Rate this topic

BNickW

So my vise that came in a kit that I received 15 years ago finally held its last hook. Abused it horribly. Def made for fresh water hooks and I have been jamming everything short of big game hooks in them. I need a new vise that can accommodate from trout flies to larger salt water hooks even bucktails. I don’t mind spending money but would rather not break the bank. Is this to wide of a range to shoot for with one vise/set of jaws? Is there reasonable options? Thanks to any and all responses!

I'll just throw out there that I use a Peak Rotary Vise and have had zero issues holding everything from hefty 6/0 salt hooks to tiny Tricos in size 24 (I'm sure that I've tied smaller flies in it over the years, but I recently tied some Tricos in that size so I can confidently say that it holds a size 24 well).  Pretty big fan of that thing altogether, and I want to say it's a little more affordable than other rotary vises? Also, I do know that you can easily order parts whenever you get an issue with any piece of the vise, and while I have never had to use that service, I sleep pretty well knowing that I might only have to spend 50 bucks instead of 150 if something were to fail. 

On 7/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, BNickW said:

Thanks Steve. That’s definitely on the top of the list so far. I don’t usually tie much smaller than that. Do you happen to know the limit on the other end of the spectrum?

I have a regal revo with big game jaws, I've tied flies on 9/0 owner 5192's with it, but I found it lacking tenacity on smaller hooks, and ended up buying a dyna-king just for the little stuff. Long story short, the regal doesn't get a lot of use these days. The in-line rotation makes it really nice for deer hair, but I'm on the dyna-king for everything else. There are much better tyers than myself that use tools that I just don't have a use for. I've had 5 vises since I began tying, each one was supposed to be my last.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

On 7/30/2018 at 4:13 PM, BNickW said:

The DynaKing and the stonfo look real nice but I’m not sure I can justify the cost. The Regal Revo and the Peak are a little more in my wheelhouse.

Nick,

I was in the same boat.    Had an old discard vise from my dad but needed something a little better.   Bought an Atlas.  Certainly does not compare with those already mentioned but it's a serviceable vise and a decent price.   Fit & finish could be better but for the money I'd probably buy it again.    

HT

vise.jpg.66e2427276673e0e0349f87316ea2b4e.jpg

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

10 hours ago, BNickW said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anything would be an upgrade at this point.

5C9910CD-7F34-4B35-A847-C8E6B930E348.jpeg

Oh damn. Pretty sure you'll be thrilled with anything after spending time on that. Best of luck with the new rig.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

I have and still use a renzetti traveler. It cost a bit more than that atlas vise but has tied from size 24 up to 10/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks with the standard jaws for me just fine. Holds everything great, a joy to use. Never found myself wanting more, and I used to tie A LOT. Had it for 10 years if not more and has never let me down. 

On 7/26/2018 at 2:28 PM, Ftyer said:

I'll just throw out there that I use a Peak Rotary Vise and have had zero issues holding everything from hefty 6/0 salt hooks to tiny Tricos in size 24 (I'm sure that I've tied smaller flies in it over the years, but I recently tied some Tricos in that size so I can confidently say that it holds a size 24 well).  Pretty big fan of that thing altogether, and I want to say it's a little more affordable than other rotary vises? Also, I do know that you can easily order parts whenever you get an issue with any piece of the vise, and while I have never had to use that service, I sleep pretty well knowing that I might only have to spend 50 bucks instead of 150 if something were to fail. 

i also have this vise, the jaws for different hooks really dont cost that much and you can switch them in a coupe min