The Riddler

Hobie Perfection?

28 posts in this topic

I was just browsing Hobies website and came across "Pedal innovation perfected".  Anyone here feel Hobie has perfected their pedal drive and kayaks?

hobieperfection.JPG

Other than perfecting the Mirage drive decades ago they've mostly rested on their laurels, sans a few recent tweaks. 

I would like to see a 26"ish wide pedal/paddle hybrid offering, but they're going in the other direction to satisfy the masses.

IMHO, that drive is still unique today! Pedals so easy, but its more like walking than riding a bike, and all that fin surface area to generate torque. I still want to see an all pedal boat tug- a -war shootout. Surprising Hobie hasn't gone there since their first video vs Olympic paddler(s) was so compelling. 

Perfected ? No. I think the GT drive is the best drive they made to date. With a few tweaks and modifications. 

I dont see the compass being a good example of a perfected kayak. But I'm sure the sales to beginners are good.   You only see positive reviews on the compass but the 2 people I know that bought one did not like it. One sold it after 2 weeks and took the loss and went back to the revo.  The other wishes he bought another outback.

So now  they came out with a curved pedal stalk. Still aluminum?

Did they raise the seat some more? LOL

13 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

I dont see the compass being a good example of a perfected kayak. But I'm sure the sales to beginners are good.   You only see positive reviews on the compass but the 2 people I know that bought one did not like it. One sold it after 2 weeks and took the loss and went back to the revo.  The other wishes he bought another outback.

Do you know what they didn't like about the Compass? I'm planning a possible pedal kayak purchase for next year and besides the price the weight of the Compass is appealing, plus the Lowrance mount and the GT drive which many people seem to prefer. 

To name a few the seat. Uncomfortable without the adjustments the outback and revo have. Paddle keeper is in a weird spot. The rudder handle is off the side and your hand is constantly wet. Not such an issue now but when the water is colder it may be.

When you pull the bow of the compass up on  the bed of a truck the rear is resting on the rudder. 

Has hull slap but better than the outback. Water rushes over the bow in chop and floods the cockpit.

I'm just relaying what I have heard from a couple experienced kayakers I know.

I dont own a compass.

No kayak is perfect. Seems the compass is the right fit for alot of people. 

I have the V2 drives... don’t feel like upgrading to GT bc i don’t want to deal with bearings and a more involved maintenance schedule or time.  Some mountain bike companies are switching over from bearings to low friction bushings to deal with easier maintenance in the shock linkages which traps mud and grit easily.  

I wonder if carbon crank arms would be stronger.  The connection would have to be rock solid w/o play so any bolt holes wouldn’t splinter, but it would be lighter too and not cause issues with gavlanic reactions between SS and aluminum.

46 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

To name a few the seat. Uncomfortable without the adjustments the outback and revo have. Paddle keeper is in a weird spot. The rudder handle is off the side and your hand is constantly wet. Not such an issue now but when the water is colder it may be.

When you pull the bow of the compass up on  the bed of a truck the rear is resting on the rudder. 

Has hull slap but better than the outback. Water rushes over the bow in chop and floods the cockpit.

I'm just relaying what I have heard from a couple experienced kayakers I know.

I dont own a compass.

No kayak is perfect. Seems the compass is the right fit for alot of people. 

Thanks. None of those sound like deal breakers for me and my style assuming the seat isn't an awful fit.

15 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

So now  they came out with a curved pedal stalk. Still aluminum?

Have to say that these seem to be so much better than the old style, makes a more solid drive and they look like they will be much less prone to breakage.  The 2018 drive is their best yet, I've busted quite a few drives, but haven't had many issues with the more recent drives.  The last drive I had problems with (broken pedal shafts) was a 2014.

4 hours ago, staktup said:

I have the V2 drives... don’t feel like upgrading to GT bc i don’t want to deal with bearings and a more involved maintenance schedule or time.  Some mountain bike companies are switching over from bearings to low friction bushings to deal with easier maintenance in the shock linkages which traps mud and grit easily.  

I wonder if carbon crank arms would be stronger.  The connection would have to be rock solid w/o play so any bolt holes wouldn’t splinter, but it would be lighter too and not cause issues with gavlanic reactions between SS and aluminum.

Sam

the carbon fiber is amazing... but in right applications

plus the epoxy is notorious for becoming brittle and yellow when exposed to UV

3 hours ago, barrell said:

I think the gt drive is the closest they got to perfection. The jury is still out on the 180 drive as they havent been out long enough.

Barrell,

How are the bearings in salt water and do they need replacing after a while? I'm gonna go GT on the V2 and was wondering that side other than less resistance from the bearings.

3 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Barrell,

How are the bearings in salt water and do they need replacing after a while? I'm gonna go GT on the V2 and was wondering that side other than less resistance from the bearings.

No need to go GT all at once, unless it's something you want to do.  As parts fail on my V2 I've been upgrading parts to the GT.  Idler pulley was first to go and just had to replace one sprocket because my fin shaft seized in it.

13 mins ago, atv223 said:

No need to go GT all at once, unless it's something you want to do.  As parts fail on my V2 I've been upgrading parts to the GT.  Idler pulley was first to go and just had to replace one sprocket because my fin shaft seized in it.

Careful, different sized chains.