jjdbike

"Jersey Fluke Belly" & "Lip Glue"?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can see the rationale behind this regulation. So you go out and catch 20 legal size fluke fillet them out and then start using them in your crab traps on the same day you would be well over the legal limit

The same rationale applies if you caught one legal size fluke 20 days in a row and then kept all the racks in your freezer and broke them out later on for your crab traps. How is the game warden supposed to know when you actually caught the fish all he or she can see is that you are well over your legal limit.

Edited by Captain Ahab

Last year a friend of mine stopped at a local fish house for a bag of flounder racks for his crap traps. While he was out there a warden checked and was going to write him up for all the racks. He called me and I looked up the number for the fish house and he called them and they spoke to the warden and he let my friend go. BUT, he told him that if he ever does that again to make sure he has a receipt or face the music. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I always use the racks for crabbing but of course never been stopped while crabbing. and I do use ribbons off todays fish while fishing tomorrow after I salted them overnight and we have been inspected several times but they never care about the bait. they only look for short fish or too many and we laugh at the too many part as 5 or 6 guys on the boat, I cant remember the last time we had a 6 man jersey limit.:laugh:

Edited by coolhandfluke

On 8/21/2018 at 9:53 PM, TimS said:

The only time I keep the rack is if it’s a fluke I’m stripping - sea robins, snappers, bonito, etc...the racks get tossed :) 

As to the legality of frozen fluke strips - once you land a legal fluke and fillet it, you can do anything you want with the pieces/parts :th: Even a brand new game warden can tell the difference beteeen fresh and frozen fluke strips. If you take the strips off a legal  fluke while fishing you are required to save the rack. There is no such requirement for a legally landed fish.

When folks suggest you can’t use fluke belly it’s because you can’t prove they came off a legal sized fluke. That’s not a problem if they were frozen because any fish you’ve landed and cleaned back on shore is assumed to be legal sized. You don’t need to retain the racks after you fillet them back on land.

TimS

About 8 years ago I was using fluke belly strips frozen from previous trips. I was boarded by NJ fish and game officer.  He checked my cooler and I only had a couple legal fish. Then he saw the rigs I was fishing had fluke strips. He asked where the racks were from the strips. I told him they were from prior days. He said he could fine me $25 for each piece which would have been a couple hundred bucks.  He didn’t fine me and told me to throw them overboard but since then I don’t bother with fluke strips.  I am not aware that the related regs have changed. I fish for fluke probably 40-50 times each season and haven’t been boarded since.  This reg. Is a shame because when filleted and skinned the ribbons are wasted and based on 50 years of fluke fishing fluke ribbons are consistently the best fluke bait.  Now I just use gulp and when available sea robin strips and still catch plenty of fluke.  

9 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I can see the rationale behind this regulation. So you go out and catch 20 legal size fluke fillet them out and then start using them in your crab traps on the same day you would be well over the legal limit

The same rationale applies if you caught one legal size fluke 20 days in a row and then kept all the racks in your freezer and broke them out later on for your crab traps. How is the game warden supposed to know when you actually caught the fish all he or she can see is that you are well over your legal limit.

Not trying to be a wise ass, but a game warden should be able to tell immediately whether a fillet or carcass is fresh or frozen - with no formal training I believe I can do it :)

TimS

1 hour ago, JimJ said:

This reg. Is a shame because when filleted and skinned the ribbons are wasted and based on 50 years of fluke fishing fluke ribbons are consistently the best fluke bait.  Now I just use gulp and when available sea robin strips and still catch plenty of fluke.  

Given the choice, I prefer sea robin strips over fluke belly...not the little weird birds, but the big bright ones :th:

TimS

I love strip baits but I can't use flounder strips. Love how soft they are and the great notion they give when jigging but I just can't use them. I only fish the back bays for summer flounder. I never shut the motor off and constantly shifting in and out of gear to slow the boat almost to a stop. By keeping the boat that slow I can do almost total vertical jigging. The because they are an oily fish and I believe give off a stronger aroma but they also   is by vertical jigging I almost always feel the jig become sluggish. That tells me that the tip of the strip has flipped over and is on the point of the hook. I've salted the strips down but after a minute or so they soften right up and flip on the hook. 

The only time I can use flounder strip is if I use a very very short strip and that isn't as effective so I move on to other species for strips. Mackerel and bluefish have an advantage with them being an oily fish that give off a stronger scent in the water but they also have a disadvantage. Their flesh and skin are soft and delicate. Jig a mac or blue strip and chunks of the flesh begin to peel back again making the jig very sluggish. Their is a solution.

Most of us just fillet a mac or blue and strip it out and then the problem starts. Too much flesh left on the skin causes it to peel back easily. fillet your macs, blues or any other fish then lay the fillet skin side down on a flat board. Take a very sharp knife and do another fillet removing most of the flesh. You just want the skin and a very thin layer of flesh and then you won't have the peel back problem. 

Even when salting the skin is still tissue thin and easy for a fish to pop right off the hook because the hook hole becomes enlarged by jigging or just reeling in. I take a piece of soft plastic worm and slip it over the hook on top of the fillet so it acts like a stopper and it won't allow the strip to be bounced off the hook as easy. You can even cut up pieces of gulp that have lost their tails to blues or other fish and use them as the stopper. 

With a little extra care when we make strip baits you can greatly improve future fishing trips.  

I was stopped at a public boat ramp by a warden on the way in from a days fishing. One of the guys I was fishing with left a price of fluke belly on his bucktail. The game warden imediatly recognized it and began to break my balls. After a full inspection and nothing else found, he gave me a written warning for fishing with fluke parts without a carcass. I explained to him that I had a cooler full of fish and could have easily cut it off of one of the fish I had in possession but instead used fish caught the day before for the bait. He wasn't having any of it. At least I didn't get a fine though. Haven't used fluke belly on my boat since. Ashame, they should be preaching on full use of the resource instead of it ending up in a trash can. 

had the game warden stop us on the way in and said he saw fluke scales on the gunnel-we said that must have been from swinging them in because we didn't have any fluke belly with us. Ran out of squid and so only had gulp on board when we came in. 

I would not try and Test them with previous days ribbons even though its  a waste that we cant use them-they get discarded at the cleaning station  because of this reason.