jjdbike

"Jersey Fluke Belly" & "Lip Glue"?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Catch a fish, cut the strips. Keep the rack, and use the strips. 

The only time I keep the rack is if it’s a fluke I’m stripping - sea robins, snappers, bonito, etc...the racks get tossed :) 

As to the legality of frozen fluke strips - once you land a legal fluke and fillet it, you can do anything you want with the pieces/parts :th: Even a brand new game warden can tell the difference beteeen fresh and frozen fluke strips. If you take the strips off a legal  fluke while fishing you are required to save the rack. There is no such requirement for a legally landed fish.

When folks suggest you can’t use fluke belly it’s because you can’t prove they came off a legal sized fluke. That’s not a problem if they were frozen because any fish you’ve landed and cleaned back on shore is assumed to be legal sized. You don’t need to retain the racks after you fillet them back on land.

TimS

9 mins ago, TimS said:

The only time I keep the rack is if it’s a fluke I’m stripping - sea robins, snappers, bonito, etc...the racks get tossed :) 

As to the legality of frozen fluke strips - once you land a legal fluke and fillet it, you can do anything you want with the pieces/parts :th: Even a brand new game warden can tell the difference beteeen fresh and frozen fluke strips. If you take the strips off a legal  fluke while fishing you are required to save the rack. There is no such requirement for a legally landed fish.

When folks suggest you can’t use fluke belly it’s because you can’t prove they came off a legal sized fluke. That’s not a problem if they were frozen because any fish you’ve landed and cleaned back on shore is assumed to be legal sized. You don’t need to retain the racks after you fillet them back on land.

TimS

That's not entirely true.  I got my balls busted using fluke racks and flukehead for crab traps one time by warden. He took the carcasses and threw them in trash.  Didn't get a fine. 

He just told me I can't use it which made no sense.  He made it seem like I had to keep it whole to use. I said look at the size of it. You think it's a short. 

1 hour ago, jpiercy13 said:

That's not entirely true.  I got my balls busted using fluke racks and flukehead for crab traps one time by warden. He took the carcasses and threw them in trash.  Didn't get a fine. 

He just told me I can't use it which made no sense.  He made it seem like I had to keep it whole to use. I said look at the size of it. You think it's a short. 

Just because someone hassled you doesn't mean it's illegal..it just means you got hassled :)  Next time someone does that, POLITELY and RESPECTFULLY ask them which statute you are violating. It's not illegal to use legally landed fluke pieces and parts any way you want. You can bury them in your garden - legally. You can feed them to the raccoons - legally. You can wear one like a hat if you'd like :th:  

Seriously...what sense does it make for him to throw the rack in the garbage? Is he suggesting that you can't use stuff you find in the garbage for crab trap bait if you wanted to? :squid:  

TimS

12 hours ago, TimS said:

Not that I would ever do such a thing but I am curious about picking up a filet from the fish market for strip bait.  It should be legal if you can supply the receipt.  You can legally purchase and use trout for bait as long as you provide the receipt.  

11 hours ago, TimS said:

Just because someone hassled you doesn't mean it's illegal..it just means you got hassled :)  Next time someone does that, POLITELY and RESPECTFULLY ask them which statute you are violating. It's not illegal to use legally landed fluke pieces and parts any way you want. You can bury them in your garden - legally. You can feed them to the raccoons - legally. You can wear one like a hat if you'd like :th:  

Seriously...what sense does it make for him to throw the rack in the garbage? Is he suggesting that you can't use stuff you find in the garbage for crab trap bait if you wanted to? :squid:  

TimS

I brought it up in a post to a crabbing forum site and they said same thing. Can't use it.

1 min ago, jpiercy13 said:

I brought it up in a post to a crabbing forum site and they said same thing. Can't use it.

Did anyone tell you why? Which statute would you be violating? 

Seriously...people believe you can't take stuff out of a garbage can to use for crab trap bait? This might require further investigation :squid:

TimS

23 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Not that I would ever do such a thing but I am curious about picking up a filet from the fish market for strip bait.  It should be legal if you can supply the receipt.  You can legally purchase and use trout for bait as long as you provide the receipt.

If I want fresh fluke belly and catch a legal sized fluke, I'll strip up 1/2 of the white side on the spot. I believe this is entirely legal. If I need more bait, I'll strip up the other 1/2 of the white side. Again, I believe this is entirely legal. I'm sure you can utilize any dead critter you legally purchased for fluke bait. I don't believe this is nearly as confusing as it's been made over the years...I started a thread in the Main Forum looking for some more info :)

Tim, when I said "save the rack", I was only talking about a legally caught fluke. But personally if I was to strip any other fish, I would keep the rack(s) just in case some nutjob cop wanted to bust my chops. I'm talking about all of this happening on the same day on the same trip, aboard the same boat.

And Jon, good luck trying to use a filet for a strip. Without the skin, it's just gonna fall apart.

8 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

And Jon, good luck trying to use a filet for a strip. Without the skin, it's just gonna fall apart.

Don't talk to me as if I'm stoopid.  The fish market has 14 inch whole fluke, cut to order.  

4 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Don't talk to me as if I'm stoopid.  The fish market has 14 inch whole fluke, cut to order.  

I certainly didn't mean that. I have no idea what your market sells.

You said filet.... 

7 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

picking up a filet from the fish market for strip bait

A filet or something cut from it, and a belly strip are two whole different things.

Jeez. 'Scuse me.

Edited by Ben Lippen

Posted (edited) · Report post

New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Division of Fish and Wildlife 2019

N.J.A.C. 7:25-18.1

A person may use parts of one legal sized summer flounder as bait. The carcass of the fish minus the fillets, commonly known as the rack, of the summer flounder used must be retained by the person and counted as part of the person's daily bag limit for that day. The rack shall be kept fully intact so it can be measured for minimum size limit. One summer flounder caught on the person's current fishing trip can be used for this purpose. No parts of fish caught on previous fishing trips shall be in possession. No other species of flat fish or fish listed under (b) or (c) above shall be used for this purpose.

Edited by nopet