jjdbike

"Jersey Fluke Belly" & "Lip Glue"?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hey folks

I just noticed the Grumpy's site is advertising "Jersey Fluke Belly" & "Lip Glue".

There are 6: & there are 6 in a jar, $9.00. It's suggested that they be used to tip a bucktail, can be split for better action & one can apply "Lip Glue" to the bucktail.

Yes it's marketing and yet another product to catch fishermen. 

Has anyone used these yet? Does it seem to be a good alternative to bucktial tipped w/ Gulp? I wonder if it will hold up better to snappers than Gulp?

Anyone here have any experience w/ these?

Thanks!

JD

Sooo there’s the convenience of packaged synthetic baits, no need to stop at bait shop & no need to lug cooler.

On the other hand, it seems a tub of pro-cut scented squid strips would be cheaper & prolly more effective, though less convenient.

Then again, for surf fluke, Gulp seems to be pretty much all you need..... until the snappers invade the surf.

JD

On 7/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, Danny1199 said:

I haven't been out much this year, but the next time I try for fluke I'm gonna use Otter Tails soaked in gulp juice. 

I was meaning to try this. I'm honestly unsure how much the scent does anything. I feel like stripers are mostly sight feeders (but chunkin' works so not 100% true) and I feel like the smell dissipates so quickly and you drift away from it anyway when flukin' that the scent might not matter much anyway. I'm really not sure though. I feel like I've fished gulp for 30 minutes and switched it out thinking fresh scent would help and it didn't but I have confidence in it so I use the stuff anyway.

I've had great results with otter tails and gulp, but I couldn't agree more with ChumSlickJon. The amount of grubs that I have in my jar without tails is sad.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:15 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

ANYTHING holds up to snappers better than gulp.  

I was under the impression that the synthetic Jersey Fluke Belly was supposed to imitate using a Fluke ribbon as a trailer on a bucktail. Which is a big NoNo if I'm not mistaken?

0.png

41 mins ago, johnny_pickle said:

I've had great results with otter tails and gulp, but I couldn't agree more with ChumSlickJon. The amount of grubs that I have in my jar without tails is sad.

For the past two weeks it hasn't even been the snappers destroying them as much as the blow toads.  If I get out this week I might just use small strips of gulp for them things.  

8 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

For the past two weeks it hasn't even been the snappers destroying them as much as the blow toads.  If I get out this week I might just use small strips of gulp for them things.  

Heard those blow toads taste great fried and dressed in buffalo sauce! Trying to expand my palette for local catch. I am assuming your getting the bite in the back from the blowfish? Not looking for any direct location just the normal general description that is usually in the reports thread. Ive been told size 8 or size 10 hooks with small pieces of clam or any other local bait. I am North OC.

There are blowfish/northern puffer and there are toadfish which are sometimes called oyster cracker.  I think you are speaking of blowfish?  Oyster crackers are nasty fish. Never heard of anyone eating them. 

9 mins ago, johnny_pickle said:

Heard those blow toads taste great fried and dressed in buffalo sauce! Trying to expand my palette for local catch. I am assuming your getting the bite in the back from the blowfish? Not looking for any direct location just the normal general description that is usually in the reports thread. Ive been told size 8 or size 10 hooks with small pieces of clam or any other local bait. I am North OC.

1 hour ago, johnny_pickle said:

I was under the impression that the synthetic Jersey Fluke Belly was supposed to imitate using a Fluke ribbon as a trailer on a bucktail. Which is a big NoNo if I'm not mistaken?

Using a strip of fluke belly or back on a bucktail is still and will always be one of the best ways to catch big fluke :) You can also use sea robin strips, dogfish strips, snapper strips, false albie, bonito, spanish macks...pretty much anything you catch that you can legally turn into strips :th:

TimS

22 mins ago, TimS said:

Using a strip of fluke belly or back on a bucktail is still and will always be one of the best ways to catch big fluke :) You can also use sea robin strips, dogfish strips, snapper strips, false albie, bonito, spanish macks...pretty much anything you catch that you can legally turn into strips :th:

TimS

The real deal has always been the golden ticket for me. I was told from word of mouth you technically can't save up fluke ribbons/belly and use them later on. From another forum after doing some research: "Regulations on freezing fluke belly strips and using them ... You must be able to prove that the strips came from a legal sized fluke." I've never been stopped plus I've salted them and put them in a jar so its pretty inconspicuous. Anyone else have any intel on if someone has been stopped in a situation like that?

1 hour ago, johnny_pickle said:

The real deal has always been the golden ticket for me. I was told from word of mouth you technically can't save up fluke ribbons/belly and use them later on. From another forum after doing some research: "Regulations on freezing fluke belly strips and using them ... You must be able to prove that the strips came from a legal sized fluke." I've never been stopped plus I've salted them and put them in a jar so its pretty inconspicuous. Anyone else have any intel on if someone has been stopped in a situation like that?

That's pure b.s. They basically want you to keep any racks from caught fluke to prove the size. No one could possibly prove without a doubt that a strip you may be using came from a particular fish without a great amount of scientific research and even then, could only possibly prove the species. Not the size.. Like Tim, I've stripped most any fish I've caught and used them to catch fluke. If you have any talent with a knife, it's easy. Catch a fish, cut the strips. Keep the rack, and use the strips. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

1 hour ago, TimS said:

TimS

Stocked trout from a certain lake work pretty good.  

4 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Stocked trout from a certain lake work pretty good.  

Fished some trout next to bloodworms in the river this spring and trout didn't do anything.

Fluke belly catches bowfin though.