drumsfield

20' Bay boat in the Chesapeake?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I've decided I'm going to get a boat. Now to figure out which kind to get. I'm leaning toward a 20' bay boat like a Carollina Skiff 218, Bayliner Element F21, Bulls Bay 2200. What other boats would you recommend for the Chesapeake? Also anyone with boating experience please feel free to chime in. Do you think a Bay Boat is the way to go? I'm looking to stay within the bay anywhere from Sandy Point to Point lookout and up the Potamac and possibly to Ocean City to do some near shore fishing. What are your thoughts on my plan?

I think a 20' boat is a decent size for most boating activities in the bay.  .  The Carolina's are sturdy boats but they tend to pound in a chop.   I chose a down east style boat that has a deep v  bow that will charge through any 2-3' swell.  Good luck with your search.

I like a slightly larger boat just because it gives you a few more options in terms of space and seas. A 23' BW Outrage has worked well for me for many years but the Montauk line deserves a look as well.

That's fine. I recommend a 24 and a bigger motor. You don't want to regret having a motor too small. Flat skiff is going to help out on gas but the ride is really rough. You just have to always be wary of what your boat can and cannot handle 

I think the hull design is as important as the length. A deep v - somebody mentioned a down east style - works well. I have been out in some really nasty Bay weather in a buddy's 18 1/2 foot boat that handled it well but was very wet. You need foul weather gear in his boat most of the time.

Most of the boats in slips around me are 22-23 foot Boston Whalers or Scouts or Grady Whites, so that must say something. I have a Pioneer 222 Sportfish and have some home in some really nasty stuff that wasn't there when I went out. The next boat is a Judge 265 that Judge just started making last year. 

On 8/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, Finprof said:

I think the hull design is as important as the length. A deep v - somebody mentioned a down east style - works well. I have been out in some really nasty Bay weather in a buddy's 18 1/2 foot boat that handled it well but was very wet. You need foul weather gear in his boat most of the time.

Most of the boats in slips around me are 22-23 foot Boston Whalers or Scouts or Grady Whites, so that must say something. I have a Pioneer 222 Sportfish and have some home in some really nasty stuff that wasn't there when I went out. The next boat is a Judge 265 that Judge just started making last year. 

We got a Grady white 208 and the bay can get pretty choppy for that boat.

Is the judge the next boat youre getting or the next boat you have, if so, how do you like it? My dad just got their chesapeake 2 months ago and its either 23 or 26 but its such a nice freakin boat, the thing i like about it is its draft and hull. We take it out on the bay and it breaks waves like theyre nothing and will go crabbing without much fear of getting stuck.

Edited by Ravens52988

Outta the three get the bayliner, the hull helps with breaking the waves and you can still take it into shallower water for back bay fishing and crabbing if youre into that as the other 2s flat or close to it hull are a rough ride even on decent waves depending on how fast youre going. We have a skiff 218 n even that thing is rough when we sometimes take it out on the bay.

I had a Triumph 19' Bay boat. She was great on the bay and the Flats. Then I went to a Triumph 210 , another great boat . Unforntunatly they don't make them any more. I liked them Better than the Mako I got rid of. Smooth ride in rough water, But a 20' boat will be fine. I would stick with a V hull, skiffs beat the Heck out of you. Plus get one built with a double hull. If you go used ,I'd try to find a used Triumph. They made a 20' v hull too. But a Bayliner is a pretty good boat. 

21 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

We got a Grady white 208 and the bay can get pretty choppy for that boat.

Is the judge the next boat youre getting or the next boat you have, if so, how do you like it? My dad just got their chesapeake 2 months ago and its either 23 or 26 but its such a nice freakin boat, the thing i like about it is its draft and hull. We take it out on the bay and it breaks waves like theyre nothing and will go crabbing without much fear of getting stuck.

If your dad got a Judge Chesapeake he got a great boat. The Chesapeake is made in a 24 and a 27. They are the same boat made in the same mold except they moved the transom 3 feet in to make the 24. The only reason they make the 24 is that there were some places that require boat length to to be under 25 feet. 

The 265 is the same hull as the Chesapeake 27 but with a newly designed topsides for a center console. 

I don't have one yet, but will before long. 

Edited by Finprof