Jzstriper

Stand up kayak for big/tall person

12 posts in this topic

I'm 6'2 190lbs and I've been paddling the new bonafide ss127 for about 2 months. I can stand up no problem, make hard casts, flyfish, etc...very stable. Would I do offshore with it, probably not, but only because I wouldn't want to paddle out that far but I wouldn't be afraid to use it for any inshore fishing.

Thanks guys. My concern is that I’m 6’3” 300#. So when I hook set even sitting down it gets interesting. I do have a Native 12’ with the pedal drive, it’s an older one, and I get a good amount of water in it every time. So I’m just a little cautious on the next purchase. The other thing I didn’t mention was I was hoping to lift the kayak onto an suv. I have a Thule system now but weight of the kayak is something I have to keep in mind. TIA. 

Keep a couple large sponges in the Native and you'll be good to go. Wide, high weight capacity kayaks that are easy to stand on can surely be ocean worthy. But, easy to stand= heavy and hard to paddle.

It’s the older “pontoon” style. So if I get a good wave, I’m gonna half to get to shore as the plug is on the rim right near the rudder control. 

On 7/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, cheech said:

Keep a couple large sponges in the Native and you'll be good to go. Wide, high weight capacity kayaks that are easy to stand on can surely be ocean worthy. But, easy to stand= heavy and hard to paddle.

Unfortunately the one I have is a sit in. I’m on the fence with regards to a hobie Pro angler. Heard that they were the $h!t.