Teasers with big plugs? Who does this?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Lou T said:

What hook is that Dennis?

Is that a SS hook?

Lou

14 hours ago, DZ said:

I use the tarpon hooks and rig the gills using two different methods.  I find the tarpon hooks much stronger.  Have had a few of the 3407s bend out.

Redgill.jpg

I have tried these Tarpon hooks also and liked them a lot. Like I said before there are many options for Red gill hooks. 

Well, South Coast Phil,  Sorry I figured by now everyone out there would know what hooks are best.

I have never tied a fly or teaser in my life on a Mustad 34007 and I have been tying for almost 30 years now.

I use Tiemco, Daiichi, Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw, primarily.  Just started using the Mustad Signature Tarpon hooks and like them so far.

For those who do not wish to use Stainless Steel or the Mustad 3407 hook, The Mustad Signature Tarpon Hook of #C68SNP-DT has a Durantin coating and is chemically sharpened.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:16 PM, FishingEnthusiast said:

Do you have an elegant way to fish a teaser, if the normal setup is braid connected to fluorocarbon using the FG knot?

I don't really like the idea of adding a swivel or solid ring just for the teaser, but maybe there is no better choice.

Hey Fishing! Check this video out. As of now, this is my favorite. It's got a lot going for it - no extra hardware, you can easily add and subtract it, it gets held off the main leader. It's great.  

And I've experimented a fair amount over the years. Dropper loops, two knots on the same barrel swivel ring, T-Turn swivels etc. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Southcoastphil said:

Steve,

Sorry for the never-ending questions, but when you say "...until you find a good one.", how will I know "a good one"?

Is it the shank length?  If so, how much of the hollow in the redgill should the shank occupy?

You want to make sure the red gill doesn't crumple up from a hook to short.

About that time frame red gills came into the country from the UK.

The same time 16" fish could be taken making the gills or flies great until 

you have two thirty, forty lb fish on at the same time.

I fished two red gills in front of a Rebel early spring and late fall.

A hook in hand will  have you rethink that setup.