ThrowinPlugs

Teasers with big plugs? Who does this?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

So lately I see a lot of people posting about throwing a teaser on their line while throwing little neck poppers, Metal lips  etc. I'm curious as to how effective this is as the dropper loop is a pretty weak knot comparatively to the rest of the rig. How do go about this without losing bigger fish? How do you deal with a larger fish hitting the teaser with a 2.5+ oz chunk of wood hanging off it? Genuinely curious.

If you use a swivel to connect your leader, you don't have to use a dropper loop. You can attach another small line to the swivel, so you don't have to worry about pressure on the main line. With that being said, I haven't had a problem landing a fish on a teaser.

2 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

I haven't had a break off yet. The only "problem" is standing waste deep in water trying to unhook a double header. 

I could only imagine. Fluke or sea robins sucks enough, couldn't imagine 2 30+ inch fish in the surf.

1 min ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I could only imagine. Fluke or sea robins sucks enough, couldn't imagine 2 30+ inch fish in the surf.

Especially when one is a blue! If blues are around I immediately remove the teaser (haven't seen a bluefish yet in 2018.)

But this is a really fun and effective way to fish. You can cover both big and small profiles - my favorite is a CCW Danny along with a redgill. The other is negative is the teaser really reduces your casting distance. I leave the teaser in the bag if distance matters. 

2 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

Especially when one is a blue! If blues are around I immediately remove the teaser (haven't seen a bluefish yet in 2018.)

But this is a really fun and effective way to fish. You can cover both big and small profiles - my favorite is a CCW Danny along with a redgill. The other is negative is the teaser really reduces your casting distance. I leave the teaser in the bag if distance matters. 

Well I'm thinking I have a bunch of feather/hair teasers and these little 5" sandeels that are KILLER. If they're close to shore, or I'm kayak fishing it may be worth a try.

The world record striper back in the day was caught on a small teaser in front of a plug.

I never use teasers with poppers, but so so with pretty much everything else.

3 hours ago, Bow3022 said:

If you use a swivel to connect your leader, you don't have to use a dropper loop. You can attach another small line to the swivel, so you don't have to worry about pressure on the main line. With that being said, I haven't had a problem landing a fish on a teaser.

Tying another line to the swivel doesn't get twisted up? 

1. If I am throwing 2oz and above, my "fishing" leader is 50lb test Fluorocarbon, 41/2 - 5 ft long with the 3 turn dropper loop as close to the swivel as possible ( casting this length on an 8ft + rod is not a problem for me, and it conforms to Frank Daignault's position on leader length)
  2. My teaser leader (loop-to-loop to the fishing leader) comes in at approximately 6 inches length.
  3. My main line is 30lb PP with a 60lb PP Hollow Ace "shock" leader (or more appropriately, "casting leader" since it has no strength), so the weak link is the main line until the casting leader is on the reel, at which point the waves land the fish, not high sticking the rod (which you should not do anyway with carbon fiber rods or any reel that has a worm gear drive, i.e., just about all Shimano reels, long cast or otherwise).
  4. I always attach the teaser such that the hook point is at 180 degrees to the "fishing leader").

By the way, Tony Stetzko's record bass was caught on an all black fly as a teaser ahead of a live eel.  He was a professional catch and sell fisherman at the time, and the theory was a bass would hit the eel and a cod would hit the fly...so much for theories. Attached Link is a good read.

Also thought I would mention that in 2017, all but 1 of my bass caught while casting lures hit a blurple 6 feather Flatwing fly fished as a teaser, and a 13lb Blue choose it over a 6inch shad.  No rhyme or reason to the lure though... happened with metal lips, needles and jigs/shads...guess there were a lot of sandeels, etc around.  Conversely, this year so far all my bass except for 2 were on bunker shads (other 2 hit yellow chartreuse over white flatwings).

I fish Red gill teasers all the time up ahead of plugs , Slug-gos or rigged eels. Rig looks like this ( see photo). I’ve caught both large and small fish on teasers but mostly small. Some times fish will hit the plug too. 

F4B0C0A1-0053-4A8F-A700-F1FFD52E0CA2.jpeg

772B413E-80EB-4B1B-B69B-28564F277FEA.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

12 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I fish Red gill teasers all the time up ahead of plugs , Slug-gos or rigged eels. Rig looks like this ( see photo). I’ve caught both large and small fish on teasers but mostly small. Some times fish will hit the plug too. 

F4B0C0A1-0053-4A8F-A700-F1FFD52E0CA2.jpeg

772B413E-80EB-4B1B-B69B-28564F277FEA.jpeg

My favorite Red Gill for over 30 years 

For my teaser set up :

tactical clip to the main line

barrel swivel to all my teaser leaders 

So when you want a quick change just disconnect tactical clip to barrel swivel 

if you decide to clip on a snag drop for those bunker pods just clip to the main line tactical clip your ready in a snap