Boat MSRP?

Rate this topic

Is it me or is finding the  MSRP (Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price) hard to find when it comes to boats? Search (various boat selling websites) 99% of the listings are "Call for price" Seems to me that boat companies don't want customers to know how much their boats should sell for. The one case I did find the MSRP for the boat from the manufacture's website the dealer site had the same boat listed for $12,000 above what the website said they are selling it for. And that was WITH a manufactures rebate of $1000. Is there a place where someone looking to buy find honest pricing in order to do some comparison shopping and eventually buy a new boat?

Edited by TimS
Please don't discuss other sites here - thanks

Shimano Stratic Ci4+ 4000/St Croix Premier 7ft 

Shimano Stratic FK 5000/St Croix Triumph 9ft

Shimano Saragosa 6000/St Croix Mojo Surf 11ft

Prices are very subject to economic times.  Bottom line, the seller/broker likely wants to feel you out and get as much as they can. Understandable. I always check NADA boats with all the equipment included to get a baseline. I just sold my boat last year, (used NADA to provide a fair baseline) and am waiting for the stock market to drop. Thats when people are thinking about how much boats cost and are looking to sell them. 

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

Prices are very subject to economic times.  Bottom line, the seller/broker likely wants to feel you out and get as much as they can. Understandable. I always check NADA boats with all the equipment included to get a baseline. I just sold my boat last year, (used NADA to provide a fair baseline) and am waiting for the stock market to drop. Thats when people are thinking about how much boats cost and are looking to sell them. 

Ha good plan. I'm not planning on waiting too long though.

3 hours ago, msrief said:

Look to Florida where an old retired dude just died and wife/bank will deal for cash.  

good suggestion, just spoke with a guy who was selling a boat for a widow from Florida...

4 mins ago, ScottO said:

In the RV world I start at 35% off MSRP, settle between 28-32% off MSRP.  Would not hesitate to start there for a new boat.  

if only finding the MSRP was that simple...

Spend enough hours on craigslist or the boats-for-sale section of the-hull-truth and you develop a pretty good sense of the price of different sizes/classes of boats.   Of course, the latter can make you feel pretty poor seeing dudes selling their 2017 32' center consoles for $250k cause their brand new with the slightly upgraded cup-holder is almost ready. 

It is purely a luxury market. In the economic sector you can find plenty of packaged  pricing.....like aluminum boats.

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

11 hours ago, fishfood said:

Spend enough hours on craigslist or the boats-for-sale section of the-hull-truth and you develop a pretty good sense of the price of different sizes/classes of boats.   Of course, the latter can make you feel pretty poor seeing dudes selling their 2017 32' center consoles for $250k cause their brand new with the slightly upgraded cup-holder is almost ready. 

Ha yea I'm starting to get that feeling. My budget went up $10k in a week....

21 hours ago, drumsfield said:

good suggestion, just spoke with a guy who was selling a boat for a widow from Florida...

In my younger days would take the wife and kids to Disney, pick up a boat that way, buy a trailer if necessary tow it back to CT and sell it which mostly covered the trip.  Usually if you have a bank that is also in Florida you can do the financials before the trip.

19 mins ago, msrief said:

In my younger days would take the wife and kids to Disney, pick up a boat that way, buy a trailer if necessary tow it back to CT and sell it which mostly covered the trip.  Usually if you have a bank that is also in Florida you can do the financials before the trip.

Funny you say that, i was just trying to convince my wife we need to take a family trip to Disney world, with alterior motives in mind....