Ravioli

Many, many people

Rate this topic

1,793 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Serious question.... why the hell would you use plastic instead of cloth? 

Cheap!

10 mins ago, bospa357 said:

Thank you for chiming in Mike. That's very much the line of discussion my wife and I had. She has a few garden beds around the yard. One in particular she put down the mesh weed block because the stuff she grows there are long term growth over the season. Some sort of Asian melon (somewhat like bitter melon) where that's all that is planted in that bed and they grow up an arbor trellis I built. So she prefers not to have to deal with weeds there. Just a layer of mulch and then watering. All the other garden beds just get some fresh soil rolled in each year and a layer of mulch once everything is in the ground.

Gotta love those bitter melons!  Really good for you too!

We set up a trellis like the arbor you set up and they sure can fill it out! 

5b7eef532670b_bittermelon-1.jpg.e1b085f597b7efb0c3d559675c553b91.jpg

We grow a couple of different types of bitter melons... The photo below shows the  large light green ones and the smaller warty dark green variety, along with Thai eggplants and long beans.

5b7eefc7a5146_bittermelon-1(1).jpg.141d901fed9241c76e26df023b4d9b3e.jpg  

19 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

Cheap!

That explains a lot. :laugh:

We grow a couple of different types of bitter melons... The photo below shows the  large light green ones and the smaller warty dark green variety, along with Thai eggplants and long beans.

She grows both those varieties of bitter melon as well. The ones on the trellis I was referring to look like this.

bi-dao.jpg

16 mins ago, bospa357 said:

She grows both those varieties of bitter melon as well. The ones on the trellis I was referring to look like this.

bi-dao.jpg

That looks fantastic!  We call that a hairy gourd due to the peach fuzz on the fruit.

14 mins ago, bospa357 said:

This is another variety of one I took a pic of yesterday.

20180817_184401.jpg

Wild looking bitter melon....  Is that variety "Green Queen"? 

You guys have quite the green thumbs and really great stuff to eat!  

What's better, bitter melon or bitter lemon?

I remember being a kid, back in the 1970s, and drinking Schweppes Bitter Lemon right out of those 10-ounce bottles. To this day, that taste brings me instantly back to being 5 years old, and being at the Jersey Shore during the summer.

1 hour ago, MattituckMike said:

Just from my experience....  YES!

Your wife has a legitimate concern.  I have conducted over  two thousand Organic farm inspections and I can count on 2 hands the number of farms that I have observed which used plastic mulch and did not run drip irrigation under the plastic - very rare.  Of those farms, I have seen a few where getting needed water to those plants was an issue and resulted in either reduced/failed crops or extensive labor with hand watering in every hole in the plastic.  This is not the case every time (based on crops planted, number of holes, soil type, saturation level of soil at installation, rainfall/hot weather, etc... )  but it is a concern. When I returned to those farms the next year for their annual inspection/audit every one of them had drip tape run under the plastic. It might not be needed in every circumstance but it is a concern to think about.

Woven fabric (sometimes called landscape fabric/cloth) is used more and more often now.  It allows exchange of gases, improves soil biology and allows water to pass through.  It lasts many years (at least 10) and is easier to take up and store with less waste added to the trash stream.  It can be used year after year and can be custom cut to fit your growing area. It is more expensive on the outset but is a much better product IMO with excellent weed control.  It can even be left down over winter.  Covered with an organic mulch will improve the garden's eye appeal and the breakdown of the organic  mulch can occur easily with the woven fabric to slowly improve your soil and add nutrients and organic matter.  

A089871C-B7C7-4BE8-B678-DC4A214B968E.gif

19 mins ago, Belmo said:

What's better, bitter melon or bitter lemon?

I remember being a kid, back in the 1970s, and drinking Schweppes Bitter Lemon right out of those 10-ounce bottles. To this day, that taste brings me instantly back to being 5 years old, and being at the Jersey Shore during the summer.

How about orange dry, do you remember that?

What the hell was that?

Never heard of it. All I remember is bitter lemon: the grown-ups would gather at night, pour booze into it (gin, as I later found out), and smoke cigarettes. Lots of cigarettes.

Bitter lemon was the stuff -- I don't remember any other mixers. 

1 hour ago, MattituckMike said:

Cheap!

Those are small. I see melon and I am thinking something at least the size of a cantaloupe.

4 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Those are small. I see melon and I am thinking something at least the size of a cantaloupe.

Bitter melons (also called bitter gourds) are small - more like bumpy cucumbers.  In the photo the bitter melons are the bumpy green things... large light green and small dark green.  The round smooth things (white, green and purple) are eggplants.

6 hours ago, Ravioli said:

For a guy who is through with us, he sure spends a lot of time in this thread. 

Coincidentally, the Norrmalmstorg robbery occurred 45 years ago today.