2 skiff questions

Rate this topic

ScottO

1996 j-16 hull in good condition with a 2002 mercury 25hp tiller manual start also in very good condition.  The questions:  Adding an electric start to the engine.  Is it doable, yes I could sell it buy a new one etc etc, don't want to drop the 3500 on a new engine.  Second:  jack plates.  Is there a manual jack plate that allows in the field height adjustment?  All I see require being out of the water, loosening bolts and then moving then retightening.  IS there nothing that uses a manual mechanism to allow on the fly changes, meaning up down while on the water in the flats and it got skinnier as you fished?  Thanks for any input.  Scott

I am speaking in general terms with no knowledge of this particular engine but bear in mind adding electric start is going to cost you probably close to the same as just finding a good used electric start engine after all the time you'll put into it. It isn't as simple as mounting a starter and going on your way.  The block needs provisions for mounting the starter, you'll need the starter itself and solenoid, toothed flywheel to engage the starter, and a stator/rotor system to provide some level of recharging your battery. Then wiring back to the keyswitch. Why go through the hassle of adding an electric start and the weight of lugging around a battery? Those small engines are pretty friendly to pull and if maintained start first pull. 

Your second question, yes there are manual jackplates but none that allow 'on the fly' adjustment that I have seen. They are typically test it, adjust it, retest it type screw jack devices. There are small hydraulic jack plates you can get but again, it's a lot of expense for a small gain. 

Honestly it sounds like you want a totally different engine than the one you have. You want one with electric start and trim/tilt. Sell the engine you have and buy one that has what you want/need. Or stick to water you know you can get through without dragging a skeg.

Edited by capefish4231

Thanks Cape, yeah the expense is a known.  A new motor is going to run about 3600.  It is certainly a possibility to sell this engine and go newer.  I have shoulder issues and the long pull is a rough way to start.  I am mostly searching/fishing int he everglades so water can get skinny fast.  A jack plate would be nice but not mandatory.  The skiff is small may just look at a whole new motor.  Thanks for your input.  S

• 2 months later...

Find an older used motor configured the way you want it, from a fresh water area. I am in NJ and 2 years ago bought a 1985 Evinrude 40hp with electric start. It came from Illinois and I paid $600.00 It starts first time every time and I am now giving it to my nephew. A mechanic friend of mine took a look at it last year and said it is in better shape inside, than a 2 year old salt water motor.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

You may just setup your outboard you have now to run skinny. You will loose some handling but nothing too noticeable. A good compression plate will help you from blowing out while in turns it will also help hold water to the pickups on the lower unit. 

On 7/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, ScottO said:

Thanks Cape, yeah the expense is a known.  A new motor is going to run about 3600.  It is certainly a possibility to sell this engine and go newer.  I have shoulder issues and the long pull is a rough way to start.  I am mostly searching/fishing int he everglades so water can get skinny fast.  A jack plate would be nice but not mandatory.  The skiff is small may just look at a whole new motor.  Thanks for your input.  S

Right, as others have said I wasn't suggesting buying a brand new engine. Buy something used. I bought the 1984 Mercury 50HP that I currently have for $300 off craigslist and it's been flawless for over two years now.

Scott I was more so talking about a compression plate. I like the Shaw wings. They surround the whole outboard and hold the water around the lower unit. The dolphin tale is more so just to help with bow control and less to help with ventilation when the engine is jacked up higher.