bonefishdick

Surgery Date 8-1-18

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

I wrote the main body of the this letter the other day to try and get everything typed and proofread. I did notice a post today asking about me and I thought it best to try and put everything on one post an do it today.

I have been in a lot of pain and sort of in a constant drugged up state because of the pain meds I take every four hours.  It is extremely hard to type when you are stoned and it takes a long time to type something. I will chime in from time to time on posts when I am up to it and will do my best to post down the road.

Now all the chips are in place for the procedure and it will take place on August 1st.

Without going into a lot detail on my first two stints in the hospital. This is the conclusion reached for the elected procedure and why I and my family made it after all the tests being performed.

The procedure being performed will involve the complete removal of my tongue because of the location the tumor. The first part of prepping for the surgery was to be the placement of a feeding tube, that small procedure resulted uncovered a hidden situation that showed I would be exposed to continuous aspiration that would resulting in constant bouts of pneumonia.

It was determined that with the location of the tumor there was a cancer in my voice box as well. The removal of the tongue has to be done and with the removal of my voice box that would also eliminate and possibility in the future of aspiration and pneumonia.

All my breathing in the future will be through a Stoma and all my feeding will be via the feeding tube. My expected time in the hospital will be 2 weeks post op and then 1 week of rehab. This schedule depends on how things go after the surgery.

is something like this 

This is like a lost year of my life with the final hurdle being the six month recovery period give or take that will hopefully put me back on the water in the spring.

I want to say thank you now for all the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I and my family are very grateful. 

Thinking that my Dunkin Days may be over.

Dick 

Dick.

That was a brave  thing to tell us what your problems are.

I admire  your tanacity  and willingness to engage with the fight with this darned cancer.

I believe that you will win through.

Dunkin Doughnuts will just have to learn to live without your custom unless there is a way to use that feed tube to include coffee and cake.

Ok August one is a special day for prayers and good luck to you Dick.

Bear hug over the net from Mike.

Mike

30 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Dick.

That was a brave  thing to tell us what your problems are.

I admire  your tanacity  and willingness to engage with the fight with this darned cancer.

I believe that you will win through.

Dunkin Doughnuts will just have to learn to live without your custom unless there is a way to use that feed tube to include coffee and cake.

Ok August one is a special day for prayers and good luck to you Dick.

Bear hug over the net from Mike.

Mike

Well, said - my thoughts and prayers are will with you and I'm looking forward to your reports not only for the great info, but also for the confirmation that you're back doing what you like to do most...

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Rich

BFD,

Ditto - “Brave thing to tell..... admire your tenacity and willingness to ...fight with this darned cancer.”  Praying your blessed with “A Teams” throughout - ie, surgeon, anesthesiologist, all post-op shifts (esp 1st 72 hrs), and re-hab. 

Godspeed, Dick

RL2TF Thomas