The Riddler

Good times in the Hobie

41 posts in this topic

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

This sucks.  Have to head home and get the back up drive.

50A1CD3A-705C-4026-8DB7-E9A92614F268.jpeg

Dude I had Jeff make me the steel ones...premium quality...150 bucks...he did and amazing job

31 mins ago, jettyjmpr said:

Dude I had Jeff make me the steel ones...premium quality...150 bucks...he did and amazing job

I have to check in on that!

Yup, surprised you used that V2 drive over the GT drive.  2014 V2's broke easily, I went thru a few.  Have yet to break any of the GT's 2015 to present.

5 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

Yup, surprised you used that V2 drive over the GT drive.  2014 V2's broke easily, I went thru a few.  Have yet to break any of the GT's 2015 to present.

First time breaking for me.  I have two v2’s and the GT.  This v2 that broke was 2.5 years old. 2014 Revo 14 bought as leftover in 2016. Used sparingly between other drives, other kayaks, and big boat. 

That sux but at least it was probably local as opposed to an Albie trip in Rhody or Southie to get your back up.   Guess I'll have to consider this for September, October and November.   

60 bucks shipped with pedal!  I don't want to give one more penny to Hobie!  No drill press but I think I can get solid aluminum, drill with a cordless and tap easier. Probably for the same or less money. At least make two for the 60 because you know the other will fail.

17 mins ago, The Riddler said:

60 bucks shipped with pedal!  I don't want to give one more penny to Hobie!  No drill press but I think I can get solid aluminum, drill with a cordless and tap easier. Probably for the same or less money. At least make two for the 60 because you know the other will fail.

File a claim.  2014 pedal shafts are covered, free, by Hobie regardless of time.  It's a known and admitted quality issue by Hobie.  

14 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

File a claim.  2014 pedal shafts are covered, free, by Hobie regardless of time.  It's a known and admitted quality issue by Hobie.  

Admitted where? They ought to post this information on their warranty web page. POS company. 

1 hour ago, CR Yaker said:

I would like to read up on this. Anything you can copy and past here would be great.

I don't want the part because it may just happen again. Rather fix it myself, it's become a habit of kayak anglers fixing pedal kayak manufacturers **** ups. :laugh:

It's in the ********, somewhere?  Was a lot of discussion back then about it.  Here is a thread talking about it with comments from Matt about some batches of crank shafts having inconsistencies from 2013, which could have carried over as supply to 2014.  Either way, file a claim, I would be shocked if you didn't get a set of new crank shafts sent to you, freely, regardless of year.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48377&hilit=crank+shaft+failure&start=45

23 hours ago, jettyjmpr said:

I have them too. They're fantastic.

I keep my spare drive in the front hatch because I've too many mishaps on the water. One of the cables snapped on my 180 drive today. Pulled out the GT, back in business. Also reminded me that the GT is much, much smoother than the 180.