YAKnDIVE

casting rod recomendation bunker chunking

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looking for recommendations on a bait and wait rod  for the Raritan bay area.  I may have a Daiwa 7HT mag  ST for a great price so looking to pair that up.

also looking in the 11- 12' range  will be throwing 4-5 oz lead  plus bait...

For significantly greater distance consider using BreakAway terminal tackle.  This eliminates "helicoptering" of the hook(s) and sinker. Buy pre-made or make-your own.

Yak:

You really need to preface your question with a budget, since in terms of candidate rods, the sky's the limit.  Although I did not get your reel, I did get the Daiwa Millionaire Tournament 7HT mag, which, unlike the ST version, comes with a Power Handle (hands to big for comfortable use of short dual-paddle handle, even when I competed on the field).

One thing I will tell you - to do justice to the distance potential of yor reel, a Tica is not the way to go, and on a rod of that caliber, you may find that you need to turn the mags to max and still thumb the spool to prevent backlashes, which means you wasted your money on the reel.  In addition, a Tica likely will have too short a butt to execute a power cast, and even if it were not the case, a true "weight outside the tip" power cast will likely cause the rod to fail violently, even if not on the first such cast, but sooner, rather than later.  The least performing rod I use my 7ht mag on is a 10.5 ft Century Slingshot rated 2-5 oz that I wrapped NGC conventional.  With the mags at 1/2 adjustment and a Hatteras cast, it easily dumps 1/2 the spool of 50lb Suffix Performance braid with a 2.5oz Sting Silver cast into a strong headwind.

I've seen AAA class competitive casters top 660 ft with a 13 ft Carbon Zziplex Primo rod, your 7HT ST reel and an OTG cast.  

2 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Yak:

You really need to preface your question with a budget, since in terms of candidate rods, the sky's the limit.  Although I did not get your reel, I did get the Daiwa Millionaire Tournament 7HT mag, which, unlike the ST version, comes with a Power Handle (hands to big for comfortable use of short dual-paddle handle, even when I competed on the field).

One thing I will tell you - to do justice to the distance potential of yor reel, a Tica is not the way to go, and on a rod of that caliber, you may find that you need to turn the mags to max and still thumb the spool to prevent backlashes, which means you wasted your money on the reel.  In addition, a Tica likely will have too short a butt to execute a power cast, and even if it were not the case, a true "weight outside the tip" power cast will likely cause the rod to fail violently, even if not on the first such cast, but sooner, rather than later.  The least performing rod I use my 7ht mag on is a 10.5 ft Century Slingshot rated 2-5 oz that I wrapped NGC conventional.  With the mags at 1/2 adjustment and a Hatteras cast, it easily dumps 1/2 the spool of 50lb Suffix Performance braid with a 2.5oz Sting Silver cast into a strong headwind.

I've seen AAA class competitive casters top 660 ft with a 13 ft Carbon Zziplex Primo rod, your 7HT ST reel and an OTG cast.  

Thank you for all that info

My budget will be $500-$550. 

I am looking just to further my cast mostly with a bunker head and 4-5 oz of lead.   I would like to stay 12’ or under.  I found on line a CTS s7 rated 6-10 @12’ but when I went to pick it up they could not find the rod.  After talking to a local builder, he suggested a rating of 3-8 may be better for the type of fishing I would be doing.   Now I may be looking for a 11’ ODM 3-8 nex1 or ODM jiggster 4-10.   Also 11’

CTS S7 is a great rod for what you are Looking to do. I have a 11 ft 5-10. It is the rod I started distance casting with and is easy to learn on  and a joy to cast. In a field I have hit 500 ft with the rod and I’m sure a better caster could do more with it. 

14 hours ago, YAKnDIVE said:

Thank you for all that info

My budget will be $500-$550. 

I am looking just to further my cast mostly with a bunker head and 4-5 oz of lead.   I would like to stay 12’ or under.  I found on line a CTS s7 rated 6-10 @12’ but when I went to pick it up they could not find the rod.  After talking to a local builder, he suggested a rating of 3-8 may be better for the type of fishing I would be doing.   Now I may be looking for a 11’ ODM 3-8 nex1 or ODM jiggster 4-10.   Also 11’

If you are anywhere close to philly I would be happy to let you try my rod out befor you buy 

34 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

If you are anywhere close to philly I would be happy to let you try my rod out befor you buy 

Thank you for that offer.  I am a bit far in Staten Island. 

Unfortunately, I have never owned an ODM, and the only CTS I have ever owned (and still do) is the SE1362-2, which is a 13ft 6in S8 rated 85-170g.  By the time I built it, unbeknownst to me, my prosthetic left knee was loose in my left leg, but all I knew is I could not cast into my left leg anymore, so I resorted to doing an OTG Uni-Tech cast - I averaged 400ft in competition with 126g, 10lb test mono main line and a knobby magged ABU 6500CT Sport Mag with ABEC ceramic bearings.  Gives you something of a baseline, I guess, since the reels are roughly comparable in potential.  Unfortunately, since Sportcast USA ceased all NJ competitions, I do not have access to a field for measures Hatteras, OTG or Pendulum casts.

Although the MSRP is $70.00 above your budget, you might want to look at the 12ft MH St Croix Legend 2-8oz, just because of their use of the "Advanced Reinforcing Technology" and warrantee.  My St Croix's date back to the Ben Doerr Elite and Premier series, and they are still going strong and have caught more bass/blues that I could ever count. I've only ever had one break, and had no issues whatsoever with replacement.

Also, be aware that although Zziplex, Shimano and Century performance is on a whole different level, after 1 year, you are on your own, so performance comes with a risk that not everyone can own.

I have chunked Raritan bay a lot and he is right.  90% of the time you are going to throw 6 ounces or less.  The only time I felt a need to step up to a true heaver was if I wanted to throw heads with a lot of meat on them or in a storm out front. Maybe also consider the daiwa ballistic rods just to throw another in the mix.  Also I have an ST and like it a lot although I'm not a fan of the handle collar and handles side body not being one piece.  For that price I feel like it should be.  Can get a ton a distance with an akios and use thr money you save for a very nice rod like some that have been mentioned

2 mins ago, fishychris said:

I have chunked Raritan bay a lot and he is right.  90% of the time you are going to throw 6 ounces or less.  The only time I felt a need to step up to a true heaver was if I wanted to throw heads with a lot of meat on them or in a storm out front. Maybe also consider the daiwa ballistic rods just to throw another in the mix.  Also I have an ST and like it a lot although I'm not a fan of the handle collar and handles side body not being one piece.  For that price I feel like it should be.  Can get a ton a distance with an akios and use thr money you save for a very nice rod like some that have been mentioned

I believe you can upgrade the handle to a one piece

2 mins ago, YAKnDIVE said:

I believe you can upgrade the handle to a one piece

The handle itself I believe but not collar  and sideplate stay 2 pieces iirc.

Don't know if this is of any interest, Penn Rods don't seem to be considered much on this Forum, but the Penn Carnage II is a great rod for the money (under $225) and might be a good alternative for the way you are interested in fishing.