IsmailG

Cigar smokers

Rate this topic

146 posts in this topic

Have 2 cubans re-hydrating in the humidor as I type.....pretty close to smoke time.  I'm definitely not an aficionado.....I prefer the pipe.

15 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Nice, I'm taking notes! 

I was 16 and stumbled on my Dad's stash of Cuban Romeo Julieta cigars, I took 3 and smoked them with my buddies. He wasn't happy when he found those tubes empty lol.

I'm a R&J smoker. Cedros 1 and 2 are smooth cigars. "Sneak them in from the Islands" when opportunity presents itself. Although domestic purchases also smooth. Recently been having problems with outer layer unraveling. Keep cigars in a humidifier. What's the problem?

Romeo's are my goto, have a few cubans (Cohiba's and Monte Cristo's) but from what I hear cubans of today are not what they once were, other countries make much better cigars

1 hour ago, Quonnie said:

Arturo Fuente Flora Fina 8-5-8 Natural

back in the mid 80s before the boom, I was buying 8-5-8s for $27 a box. Great fishing stick! Still have a ton of those chest-like boxes. When the boom hit, the quality went down IMO. Burst wrappers, tight rolling, runners. Shame. Haven't had any for years, but fond memories

On 7/19/2018 at 6:16 PM, chumbucket said:

Aahhhh !... those were my favorites when I started to really get serious about good cigars...:rav::th:

I also like the Rocky Patel 1990/92 Vintage stogies...

They aren't under $10 any more where I go, unfortunately.   Great cigars

Cigars International in PA has tons of great package deals where you can get a bunch of premo cigars under $10 each including Rocky's...:rav:...it's the way to stock up your humidor and save $$$$$$$....

On 7/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, Peter D said:

. Recently been having problems with outer layer unraveling. Keep cigars in a humidifier. What's the problem?

You gotta 'Season' your humidor properly with a wipe-down of the inside cedar with distilled water only...:rav:...I use the Johnson & Johnson non-stick first aid pads soaked with distilled water so it doesn't leave cotton on the wood inside...calibrate your Humidity gauge too so you know when your humidor is stabilized at 70%....if your inside cedar wood is dry, it might be pulling the moisture out of your cigars....check U tube for step-by-step instructions...

6 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Not much for sales, but could spend hours walking around JR Cigars lol. They do have some good deals on sampler packs once in a while

+2 on JR

6 hours ago, chumbucket said:

You gotta 'Season' your humidor properly with a wipe-down of the inside cedar with distilled water only...:rav:...I use the Johnson & Johnson non-stick first aid pads soaked with distilled water so it doesn't leave cotton on the wood inside...calibrate your Humidity gauge too so you know when your humidor is stabilized at 70%....if your inside cedar wood is dry, it might be pulling the moisture out of your cigars....check U tube for step-by-step instructions...

I've done that numerous times with my cedar box. Maintain about 65-70% H (two gages). I purchase boxes of cigars from the large mail order houses. Interestingly, not all cigars peel in spite or residing in same humidifier. Last two weeks ago  I purchased 3 R&J' s from a large retail cigar store. These were in a humidified room (don't recall the RH). One of three peeled.

PS-I have not yet calibrated the home RH meters. That's the next step.

Up until about 2 years ago you could buy amazing boxes of Cubans for less than $10 a stick, aside from Cohibas, which I have a bunch of through trading, but don't think they are worth the hype or $25+ a stick they fetch now. Partagas 8-9-8, RyJ Churchills and H Upmann Mag 50's being my favorites. A lot of the smaller format coronas from most Cuban brands are less than $130 a box and awesome 45 minute smokes. 

As far as non-Cuban stuff I've really been enjoying the La Gloria Cubana R5 Maduros lately and think it's up there with "the best" I've ever had. The Fuente Hemmingway Classic, 8-5-8 or Chateau Sun Growns are all awesome as well as the San Cristobal Elegance series. 

My second tier would include AJ Fernandez Old Worlds, most Oliva's (which can be found for $3-5 a stick) and more. If you google "5 pack fever" you will find a store that sells top sticks in packs of 5 for less than $5 each if you buy a few and can try some different stuff. Feel free to p.m. me if you're looking for advice, I'm familiar with most.

This young man had a table at the big gun show in Tulsa OK.

He said all his relative lived in the Keys, and it was a really cut throat area to try to be a cigar maker.

Now he lives in Houston and said that discovering Gun shows has changed his life.

He had a supply with him, and was doing a  pretty brisk business.

I think it was 4 for $20.

They were solid good cigars. I'm going to get more from him this fall.

IMG_20170401_092709886.jpg

IMG_20170401_092756944.jpg

IMG_20170401_092614517.jpg

IMG_20170401_093145231.jpg

Don diego babies ,punch ,elephant butts and arturo maduros keep me happy . Carbon copy's smoke nice also my friend always has a box and gifts me one often . Great thread boys