Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy29

Whaler 170 vs Parker 1801

15 posts in this topic

I live in Smithtown and would be fishing the back harbor, Smithtown Bay and the sound on nice days. I would also be trailering it to the South shore to fish the bay  I want to buy new so I know what I have. I had a Steigercraft Hunky dory and it was a little too small for me and I spent too much time working on the thing so I got rid of it.  Anyway I want a new. What would be the better boat?

Posted (edited)

The Parker will give you a much smoother ride. I don’t really understand all the love people have for Whalers. They are really rough riding boats that will beat the snot out of you in a chop.

Edited by aae0130

I test drove a whaler and it was night and day a better ride than my 16' Steigercraft. I only been on the Parker 21 and that rode nice. The 17' Key West looks interesting as well. 

Have you looked at prices yet, you might be surprised to learn that it's $10K more for the Whaler... add to that the Parker is a complete package with boat, trailer, and electronics.  The Whaler will not have a trailer or electronics.  Fit and finish on a Whaler will be top notch, but it's still a smaller and lighter boat. 

I have an 1801, really happy with it.  My last boat was a 21' Whaler.    

What kind of conditions do you take your 1801 in?  How would you compare it to a Scout 195 ?

The reason I bought the boat (same reason I bought my last whaler) is that the boat itself could take much worse sea's then the person in it ever could... the Parker is overbuilt and a great platform.  That being said, its an 18' boat... you cannot compare it to a 28' with twins.  I have plenty of opportunities to get out on the water in relatively nice conditions.  I fish in the LIS, I look for the forecast to be in the 10-15 knt winds and 1-2' seas or better range.  Also, have to pay attention to wind direction and the tide, wind against tide always makes things worse than the forecast. 

In any 18'er, you will have to watch the weather and pick your days.     

I fish Smithtown Bay a lot.  I would not get the whaler, Parker by a mile.  You'll be able to fish most days in the that hull.  

Another vote for the Parker. I have an 1801 I bought new last September and like it more and more every time I take it out. I live on Cape Cod and trailer the boat all over and fish from RI to the Vineyard, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Bay, Wood End and Race Pt and down the back side, Monomoy and the rips and the South Side. The boat fishes bigger than it is, if you know what I mean? I also go to Cape Lookout, NC in October and November for False Albacore and when I had it down there last autumn it did beautifully. I've put 290 hrs on my Parker already and have no "buyer's remorse" at all--it's a great boat.

I'm another guy that never has understood the cult-like following Whaler has. They pound in a chop and aren't as comfortable to fish out of as other CC's I have been on.

If you have any specific questions abut the Parker fire away.

Posted (edited)

CGG I believe drooled over some of your Instagram posts while I was making the decision to buy mine.  Nice 1801!

Whalers have their place, sadly for the smaller boats that place is no longer in their production line.  $50K for a 17" skiff, I asked about a 210 MTK and the guy quoted me a $90K.  There is some good value left in the older ones though, if you can find a nice one with life left.

The Parker is a better platform for sure.  I have been very impressed!!! I am a big fan of the modified V and the stability that comes with it.  I am about 250lbs and I can lean over the side and the boat barely moves, its a pleasure to drift on as well.      

Capturesb.PNG

Edited by thebigangrybear

Nice pics. I was fishing Smithtown Bay with the 16' Steigercraft.  I had to pick my days with that boat and got caught in some swells one day when the weather turned. I always felt it was just too small for what I was doing so when the engine went, I choose not to repower it. I got good money for the boat and trailer, almost what I paid for it. 

I guess the engine to get on the Parker is the Yamaha 115?

I would say the 115hp is plenty.  I have hit just under 40pmh and the boat has got some pep.  It also sips fuel.  I usually have it around 30pmh when cruizing.  with the 150hp you will get some more speed but I didn't think it was worth the extra $8500.  

The only reason to get the whaler is if your back doesn't hurt enough.  The Parker is a much better ride, has better storage, and  is overall a much bigger boat than the 17' whaler.  If you were looking for a family beach boat, that was easy to get in and out of, could pull a tube reasonably well, etc.. the whaler would be a nice choice.  For fishing I would take the Parker by a mile.

sam

On 7/19/2018 at 1:06 PM, thebigangrybear said:

The Parker is a better platform for sure.  I have been very impressed!!! I am a big fan of the modified V and the stability that comes with it.  I am about 250lbs and I can lean over the side and the boat barely moves, its a pleasure to drift on as well.      

Yes! That's an overlooked feature that I forget to mention about the Parker, but it drifts exceptionally well. It's extremely stable and has very little roll--that's important to me because I fly fish 98% of the time and I have enough trouble casting without having to worry about bouncing around and losing my balance.

On 7/19/2018 at 2:35 PM, Billy29 said:

I guess the engine to get on the Parker is the Yamaha 115?

IMO, Yes the 115 is plenty. With a wide open throttle and the engine trimmed up in flat calm conditions my Parker will hit 39 mph+ according to the Garmin chart plotter. 4000-4500 rpms cruises very nicely at 25 to 30 mph. And it gets about 4.5 to almost 5 mpg

On 7/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, thebigangrybear said:

I would say the 115hp is plenty.  I have hit just under 40pmh and the boat has got some pep.  It also sips fuel.  I usually have it around 30pmh when cruizing.  with the 150hp you will get some more speed but I didn't think it was worth the extra $8500.  

It's an extra $8500 for the 150hp!? I had no idea! I never even asked about the 150. I would definitely go with the 115.

Parker makes a good boat. It would be on my short list of boats to buy but it would be the one with the cabin.  I had a boston whaler dauntless 18 and absolutely loved it. Almost completely maintenance free. 

the earlier comment about the whaler being a rough ride is ONLY correct if you are talking about the older Montauk's with the flat bottom. On my dauntless, the hull was amazing and had a super smooth ride. I am not positive, but I think the Montauk now has a new hull too.

Pricinig - yes the whaler costs more. However, your resale is much better too. So, if you plan to hold the boat for more than a couple of years, the whaler (from a financial perspective) may be the better buy. I bought my boat used with 50 hours on it. Paid $21k. Sold it 6 years later for $21k. 

Buying new vs used because "you know what you have". There is some merit to that. However, most motors today have the ability to plug into a mechanic's laptop and you should have access to the entire history of the motor. Even the 2002 Mercury optimax motor on my last boat was able to tell me every fault code that ever occurred, how many hours the motor ran at every RPM level (so you can see if the prior owner was open throttle too much), you could see if it ever over heated, etc etc.  So, you can pay an authorized mechanic $100 to give a full diagnosis of the used boat you are buying and you could save thousands on a boat that is maybe only a year old with low hours.

Believe the whaler 170 is a montauk.  2 newer dauntless models in my marina.  Hulls certainly look adequate for LIS, but the decks seem more like what you would find on a bay boat.