Spanish mackerel

Rate this topic

Timmytuna

3 hours ago, JohnQ said:

Are they king fish or king mackeral?

Yeah, this is often confusing. Once you get down the coast a bit, perhaps to NC or so, king mackerel are called "Kings" and sometimes "King Fish".

What is in various areas referred to as "King Fish", Menticirrhus saxatilis. are known in the south as "sea mullet". Other names are whiting, Virginia Mullet, and king croaker. And even then there are "northern kingfish, southern kingfish, and gulf kingfish", at least in North Carolina. And down there, they are all refered to as sea mullet

Northern kingfish or what is called whiting sometimes looks like this:

5b50ad066ef0f_seamullet.thumb.jpg.53329bae35a2de36ebcfcd52cf8174b5.jpg

They are also incredibly good eating filleted and pan fried. Been year since I had one. And you used to be able to get them smoked in about any supermarket fish counter or deli in the Metro NYC area, and sometimes even up here.....not so much anymore. :(

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

What did you use for lure? I know a spot and swore I saw a guy who targets them trailering to that ramp. No reason going out there unless he was going for them. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

What did you use for lure? I know a spot and swore I saw a guy who targets them trailering to that ramp. No reason going out there unless he was going for them. 

You know people will check where they were last year first. Not saying that’s where you are talking about. Although it looks like that is also where the warmest water is now so.........

11 mins ago, Timmytuna said:

Went back out to the same spot today looks like they moved on. Tons of small bluefish.

They must have moved a LONG way.  I covered 120 miles around that area this morning.   Tiny blues and a bunch of micro bass near the end of the tide.   

At least the Bay Boat ran great.   Only burned 27 gallons :)

Edited by Riptide

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Yeah, this is often confusing. Once you get down the coast a bit, perhaps to NC or so, king mackerel are called "Kings" and sometimes "King Fish".

What is in various areas referred to as "King Fish", Menticirrhus saxatilis. are known in the south as "sea mullet". Other names are whiting, Virginia Mullet, and king croaker. And even then there are "northern kingfish, southern kingfish, and gulf kingfish", at least in North Carolina. And down there, they are all refered to as sea mullet

Northern kingfish or what is called whiting sometimes looks like this:

5b50ad066ef0f_seamullet.thumb.jpg.53329bae35a2de36ebcfcd52cf8174b5.jpg

They are also incredibly good eating filleted and pan fried. Been year since I had one. And you used to be able to get them smoked in about any supermarket fish counter or deli in the Metro NYC area, and sometimes even up here.....not so much anymore. :(

And to confuse you even more north of cape cod a whiting is a silver hake

21112F90-CC51-4006-AAAE-813730496995.png